Spell Resistence Fix

Discuss the SIEGE engine, and SIEGE Engine games other than C&C, such as StarSIEGE, in this forum.
Dragon of the Plains
Skobbit

Spell Resistence Fix

Post by Dragon of the Plains »

I finally figured out a way to make SR work in C&C.

Lookup a Similar monster in D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder or any other d20 source.

Take it's CR and Subtract 10. If the value is less than 2 it's 2, if it's more than 21 it's 21.
Although if you wanted to do it the lazy way you could get away with taking the monsters hit dice and subtracting 10 and abiding by the same rules in C&C. << I.E. HD = LEVEL>> wich is the quick and dirty way to do it.

Also in order to expand upon this while keeping some balance and spirit of the mechanic. I also added that casters of 11th level get a +1 to their spell resistance rolls and an additional +1 every two levels thereafter. <13,15,17,19> this bonus caps at +5 at level 19. <Since the highest in the game is 21 per the PHB>

If you want you can add Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration as advancements or feats, this will not break the mechanic.

This allows you to use the straight d20 roll to resolve spell resistance while fixing the confusion the troll lords have presented us.

This is the simple way to do it, I have a method of actually calculating CR for C&C that has been tested and balanced for years but we can save that for another time.

Happy gaming.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Re: Spell Resistence Fix

Post by Grandpa »

Dragon of the Plains wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:00 am
I finally figured out a way to make SR work in C&C.
Happy gaming.

How did it not work? C&C SR is basically the same as AD&D with D20 mechanic...

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

I thought C&C SR was immuntable.. The target number is the target regardless of levels.

From M&T -> If a spell is targeted at a creature with spell resistance, the caster of the spell must roll 1d20, unmodified. If the result is equal or greater than the creature’s spell resistance rating, than the spell can affect that creature.

I actually like that better then the old AD&D way of making higher levels cater able to reduce % by level above 12th... It fits into the paradigm of High Level play is still super dangerous in C&C with the opposing Siege Checks and Immuntable SR .. But hey that's just me.

-Mike

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

mgtremaine wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:05 pm
I thought C&C SR was immuntable.. The target number is the target regardless of levels.
Right, I wasn't talking about the sliding scale up and down but 5% increments from 0% to 100% SR. Early on we got rid of that due complexity and switched to what C&C came up with decades later? Makes it easier for magic items too.

Dragon of the Plains
Skobbit

Post by Dragon of the Plains »

The problem was briging monsters over from other d20 sources to have a way to set CR appropriate for level. The monster and Treasures book pretty much has nothing to go on. My goal was to be able to convert something from another system instead of just guessing a number.

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Dragon of the Plains wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:31 am
The problem was briging monsters over from other d20 sources to have a way to set CR appropriate for level. The monster and Treasures book pretty much has nothing to go on. My goal was to be able to convert something from another system instead of just guessing a number.
Why guess? Most systems I've seen have magic/spell resistance as a % or in D20, n out of 20