What boardgame(s) are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
kreider204
Unkbartig

Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Post by kreider204 »

Chess and Go.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

kreider204 wrote:Chess and Go.
How hard is Go to learn? I have always wanted to play it but never got around to it

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Dracyian wrote:
How hard is Go to learn? I have always wanted to play it but never got around to it
Easy to learn, difficult to master. :)

A free intro book: https://www.usgo.org/way-go

Free program to play 9x9 games: http://www.smart-games.com/igowin.html

I highly recommend the first two volumes of Janice Kim's Learn to Play Go series - maybe the best introduction in English.

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Go-Mas ... _paperback

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-To-Play-Go- ... gy_b_img_y

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

kreider204 wrote:
Dracyian wrote:
Easy to learn, difficult to master. :)

A free intro book: https://www.usgo.org/way-go

Free program to play 9x9 games: http://www.smart-games.com/igowin.html

I highly recommend the first two volumes of Janice Kim's Learn to Play Go series - maybe the best introduction in English.

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Go-Mas ... _paperback

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-To-Play-Go- ... gy_b_img_y
Thanks so much

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Quite welcome, enjoy.

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

Dracyian wrote:My father recently picked up last night on earth zombie apocalypse game, havent had a chance to read through it or even start dealing with the pieces that need to punched out, but looks cool
I have wanted to get that for a while now.
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

DeadReborn wrote:
Dracyian wrote:My father recently picked up last night on earth zombie apocalypse game, havent had a chance to read through it or even start dealing with the pieces that need to punched out, but looks cool
I have wanted to get that for a while now.
A lot of rules he said, he was reading for a good hour and I don't think he is done reading through them yet, not sure

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

Regarding Go. Check out Sensei's Library and Kiseido Go Server. kreider, what Go rating do you have?

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

I don't have a rating - I'm just a rube. :)

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Thanksgiving weekend has seen three games of Settlers of Catan. My 10-year old son and 8-year old daughter played the last to games. It was their first time. My daughter, like my wife, is very lucky and she smoked us. Of course she had help from her aunt.

Yesterday we broke out Clue and a good time was has by all. After church and before we take Aunt Cat to the airport, we will try one more round of Clue. The kids and adults all love it.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Have to give a shout out to a game I mentioned on pg. 10 of this thread....Quicksilver! Just played another game with two noobs. They loved it. Here's what I said on the previous page...

Troll James and I have been parked next to (while working the Troll Lord booth at DieCon)a couple of guys who made their own board game. We met them last year, and actually played the demo this year. Loved it. The game is called Quicksilver. It's a dice and card driven airship racing game. Hex map with mountains and clouds, the other side features buildings. Cardstock obstacles are included (gun turrets, extra clouds, and mines). Game has pretty good production values. Each race is different and random. You can be a gentleman racer, or try to attack your opponents. Some elements of Circus Maximus, to a degree at least. Check it out at splitsecondgames.com/quicksilver/

Of the few racing games I have played, Circus Maximus (old Avalon Hill) is probably still the best. In part, because it has some of that extra crunch. That said, Circus might still be costly on ebay. If you're looking for a racing game that's a bit more light but still very satisfying, Quicksilver is it. Plus, you'd be supporting a couple of board game designers who took a chance on something they're very passionate about. Two thumbs up!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

We had a great time playing Heroscape all weekend and even threw in a game of Risk: Godswar.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

My wife picked up Survive and we managed a game of it this past weekend. It was pretty cool to take the trip down memory lane on that one.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rigon wrote:We had a great time playing Heroscape all weekend and even threw in a game of Risk: Godswar.

R-
The Mrs. Wanted me to let everyone know that, while she usually plays just to be cannon fodder, she did win 2 of the 5 games of Heroscape we played.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Fun game, based on Talisman but set in the Warhammer 40k universe:

"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Relic needs expansions. Immediately.

Due to the recent sale over at Fantasy Flight, I picked up a copy of Fortress America. I already owned a copy, but for such a low price, I couldn't pass it up, especially for the replacement pieces. I'll be playing Fortress America soon. This Christmas, America gets invaded.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:Relic needs expansions. Immediately.
TROOF!!!!

Let me know how FA plays....
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Rigon wrote:We had a great time playing Heroscape all weekend and even threw in a game of Risk: Godswar.

R-
The Mrs. Wanted me to let everyone know that, while she usually plays just to be cannon fodder, she did win 2 of the 5 games of Heroscape we played.

R-
Yeah, she lets us know on FB about the whoopin she put on you guys.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Breakdaddy wrote: Let me know how FA plays....
Plays great, and with the optional rules, is more expansive than the original. And for $25 (on sale at FFG), it's worth every penny. But be warned, this ain't no euro boardgame. You roll dice in Fortress America. There is a little luck involved, and best of all... good ole' fashioned WAR STRATEGY!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:
Breakdaddy wrote: Let me know how FA plays....
Plays great, and with the optional rules, is more expansive than the original. And for $25 (on sale at FFG), it's worth every penny. But be warned, this ain't no euro boardgame. You roll dice in Fortress America. There is a little luck involved, and best of all... good ole' fashioned WAR STRATEGY!

~O
Im down with the Dice, brosephus. Sounds like a pickup for me. Ill go see if the sale's still in in a minute. I like certain eurogames like dominion and puero rico but I dislike others such as agricola.
-Genghis Khan

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

+1 on Relic and Fortress America.

Got FA in the sale, and decided to pick up Horus Heresy as well. It was sold out in the last sale when it was $25, so didn't want miss the opportunity to get now for only $10 more. Anyway have and/or play HH Yet?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Holy Bat sh!t, Bat Man!! Is it still 25 bucks? I have the old one, but it's missing two partisan cards. I've had my eye on the new one. Please tell me it still is. As for Euros, 9 times out of 10, I'm not a big fan. If I might suggest a good A&A'ish, non-Euro oop game...Blood Feud in New York. Love it. Plastic mafia hirelings, helicopters, limos, boats, tenements, etc. A roleplaying element to it, as well. Used to be distributed by Eagle Games. Used to demo for them before they changed hands. I recommend their redo of Conquest of the Empire, and Railroad Tycoon (even though I'm not a big rr gaming enthusiast).

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

In the past couple of weeks I've managed both some OGRE (just the classic scenario while teaching my son) and a nice playing of Eclipse, the big discovery/empire builder board game. I've got to say that the elegance of design in Eclipse, where the components and mechanics work fairly seamlessly together, is one of the most impressive feats of game design I've seen in recent years.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Tylermo - did you get in on the sale at FFG? Cracked open FA and very impressed with the components even with some minor assembly (Lasers and Helicopters). Hope to try this one out soon.

In other notes, Ogre box came in tonight - very impressive, though I have yet to open the shrink wrap.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

We got in some board games every day the week of Thanksgiving.

Carcassonne
Bazaar
Bohnanza
Ticket to Ride
Elfenland, Resistance (new to me)
Dixit (new to everyone)
Runebound

There's a problem with Dixit that I had anticipated but found more annoying than I'd expected. Bystanders were so enthralled by the artwork that they started going through the cards. First the discard pile, then the to-be-dealt pile. Packing up the game when it was over was delayed due to card browsing.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Metal, by the time I heard about the sale, it was over. Might be awhile before I can afford FA.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

tylermo wrote:Metal, by the time I heard about the sale, it was over. Might be awhile before I can afford FA.
:( I was bummed that ended so quickly. They had a big sale on Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch books.

When I ordered I wasn't sure which ones I had at the house, so only order a few, but there we tons of them at great prices.
Kicking myself for not getting more. Though, realistically, when I'd get a chance to play again or use the books that's another story.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Christmas eve, I got a chance to play Munchkin with most of the Holiday Theme expansions. (Missing the "Waiting for Santa" booster). 2 New Players to the game, but all picked up the rules rather quickly.

Christmas day, A couple of games of Survive 30th Anniversary Edition. I also was blessed with the Doctor Who Card Game as a Christmas Gift. Still need to try that one out.

While not a board game, I did start playing Shadow Run Returns. Pretty good so far.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

During our game's christmas party last weekend we played Cards against humanity, the bigger blacker box and that was a few hours of non stop laughter

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Dracyian wrote:During our game's christmas party last weekend we played Cards against humanity, the bigger blacker box and that was a few hours of non stop laughter
My kids have that, with all expansions, but I have yet to see it played.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.