What boardgame(s) are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread here... but I think this one is worth it because I like hearing what people are playing other than RPGs.

So... just played TOMB with my family this weekend. We really had a good time. The whole game took about 2 hours and we all had a blast.

What board games are you playing???

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

I play Dominion whenever I get da chance. Smallworld is another fave. Space Hulk 3rd edition is a top game for us. I have a couple dozen games but I seldom play most of them. When we get a larger group together we play BSG or Arkham Horror. Munchkin when the mood strikes. AGNKim and I used to roll out Battlelore and Memoir 44 quite a bit. Havent done those lately. Command & Colors Ancients is a great one that I play from time to time.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

No worries, tis a good thread (like many) to bring back.

I've really been wanting to find some of the games that Jim Ward reviewed in Crusader, as I've liked those games he covered.

Thanks to my friend Breakdaddy, I played Bohnanza from Rio Grande Games.

Fantastically fun and wild.

Finally got my wife to play and she enjoyed the heck out of it . . . an won!!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Proto-typing my own game...and getting ready to do some play testing.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

None currently. but when we get the family together for Thanksgiving we'll be playing Settlers of Catan. Raj (card game), Giza, and Mesopotamia.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Rhuvein wrote:
No worries, tis a good thread (like many) to bring back.

I've really been wanting to find some of the games that Jim Ward reviewed in Crusader, as I've liked those games he covered.

Thanks to my friend Breakdaddy, I played Bohnanza from Rio Grande Games.

Fantastically fun and wild.

Finally got my wife to play and she enjoyed the heck out of it . . . an won!!

Youll get her next time, chieftain!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Space Hulk 3rd Edition. A fairly simple strategy game, that looks just SO awesome. Oh yeah, it's about space marines fighting Tyranids... there is not much better then that.
Trying to get a game going of Birthright (the boardgame).

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

I've been dying to play the Castle Ravenloft board game, just can't afford it right now. Has anyone played it yet?

The Dead watch the road that leads to the sea.-The Two Towers
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Ronin77
Red Cap

Post by Ronin77 »

Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I have all the expansions. I play it with my brothers when the rest the game group cant make it. Or its just an off day.

We played once with the wives and my brothers girls (11 & 12yo). I Have not found any one yet that didn't enjoy the game.

My Gaming blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

Tide of Iron

Ravenloft

Talisman

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

concobar wrote:
Tide of Iron...

You know, I own this game and still havent had a chance to play it yet. I do love the production values on the contents, just havent gotten a chance to deploy a game yet.
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Tide of Iron = best game components ever.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Divine Right (Old TSR game).

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

I'll be back home in Arkansas this weekend, hanging with Breakdaddy, Huds0n and some of the other Little Rock cats. Should get some serious gamage going on. Settlers of Catan... Arkham Horror... BattleLore... Small World... Longshot... Munchkin... Who knows.

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Aladar wrote:
Divine Right (Old TSR game).

OMG...I used to stay up late with friends playing that game. Used to get yelled at by my mom!

Wow...thats a flashback!

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

DeadReborn wrote:
I've been dying to play the Castle Ravenloft board game, just can't afford it right now. Has anyone played it yet?

I have. It's about the worst dungeon crawler or cooperative board game I've ever played. Components are outstanding, the game itself isn't much fun for me though. My daughter liked it...but she likes every other dungeon crawler BETTER...if that says anything.

Another guy liked it as well...but he also likes playing the card game of war...by himself...until he wins and doesn't like anything more complicated then bingo typically...so I'm not certain he counts.

Everyone else hated it.

I'd say spend your money on Fields of Battle, or more C&C stuff...or...well just about anything other than CR...but there are others that seem to like it.

Me and those I play with it just don't happen to be some of those people.

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Yeah, I don't play a lot of board games but I have noticed some like Descent simulates a dungeon delve.

Though I have fun sitting with friends regardless, I was left wondering to myself why we just didn't play D&D if we were playing a board game that emulates a dungeon.

Settlers of Catan in contrast felt like a board game.

To me a board game is Risk, Monopoly, even stuff like Axis & Allies.

When we start talking expensive box sets with plastic minis, collectible cards, and many other components that I would never have been able to afford as a kid i am often left wondering.

I know companies need to turn a bottom line but I'm not into expensive boardgames with a ton of "components".

Components translate to me as a bunch of $hit to spill all over the floor.

When I see companies turn traditional rpgs into boxed boardgame/hybrids with a ton of "components" to spill and gimmicks to "collect them all" releases I am left wondering what company I can support next.

You want to sell boardgames, cool!

You want to sell video games, awesome!

You want to sell card games, alright by me.

You want to sell rpgs and I'm all about it!

You want to combine them all and make the experience 3x as expensive, then I'm moving on. You know the two companies I am talking about don't you?

But anyway...I wish someone would release a new Divine Right!

The last board game I played was Risk. The couple we played with argued thru the whole game.

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

...and yet some of us DO like the experience of playing with big box boardgames with high production values and lots of nifty toys in them. I fall into this camp. I don't mind spending a bit more for these games, but retail pricing is for suckers.
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Joe wrote:
But anyway...I wish someone would release a new Divine Right!

They released the 25th Anniversary edition of Divine Right about 7 years ago. Well that release of the board game bankrupted the company. Sadly, DR is out of print again.

It would be nice for a proper boardgame company to pick up the rights to Divine Right and produce a great copy. FFG could do it right (look at Talisman).

I also like boardgames with high production values. I'm not saying I like the hybrid RPG/Boardgame/CCG thing, but if the game is good, and the production values are high, well the game is just that much better. Plus, if you are ever in doubt about purchasing a big, expensive boardgame, check out www.boardgamegeek.com . Those guys post pictures, reviews, etc. This helps me tremedously before dropping big buck on a new flashy boardgame.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Breakdaddy wrote:
...and yet some of us DO like the experience of playing with big box boardgames with high production values and lots of nifty toys in them. I fall into this camp. I don't mind spending a bit more for these games, but retail pricing is for suckers.

I'm the same camp... I really enjoy a good board game with all the goodies... even if it's a board game that emulates traditional RPGs (Like Descent). It's nice to be able to break away from a traditional RPG and play a board game that looks cool, plays cool and is a lot of fun... even if it does emulate another form of gaming. And as a bonus I've found that my sons (9 and 12 years old) enjoy board gaming more than they do traditional RPGs. I'm sure as they mature they will get more into the RPG world of gaming, but for now they like to see the cool stuff and play a game that is started, played and finished within a couple of hours (at the most).

greenbadge
Hlobane Orc

Post by greenbadge »

BerlinRed Victory

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

Playing:

Runebound

Talisman

Arkham Horror

Ravenloft

Cave Troll

Heroquest

Munchkin board and card game

Stratego

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

I am breathlessly waiting for Letters from Whitechapel, from Nexus Games. I played it at the Nexus Games booth at Gen Con with a friend and we loved it, but I haven't yet heard a firm release date.

Above and beyond that, I don't generally play a whole lot of board games... although that may change in the near future.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Played Ravenloft last night. Had good fun.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

Thanks for the info GreyLord. I'm a Ravenloft junkie and I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but I decided to pick up the 4th print of the PH and the CK screen pdf instead. I know I'll enjoy those.

The Dead watch the road that leads to the sea.-The Two Towers
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Post by TheMetal1 »

Yes I have resurrected this thread...oh the shame, but hey, come on, what Board Games are you all playing these days?

I managed to score Ticket to Ride, Munchkin Cthulhu and all the expansions for it over the holidays. Have yet to try out TTR, but have played a good bit of M.C. using all the expansions and even an epic version of the game. Though just two player, but still had a blast.

Other than that, I've managed to get in several games of BattleLore as well. My wife was a bit hesistant to play, but has really enjoyed it. It's fast, set up isn't too bad at all and the game play is tactical but quite easy to grasp, we've only played the first couple of scenarios, which were going to run through again here shortly. Anyone else?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Runebound 2nd Edition
Descent: Journey in the Dark

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Haven't played a board game in quite awhile. But, back in the day I really like Axis & Allies, Diplomacy (Though never played a game that didn't end in an argument.) and A Game of Thrones.

Would like to play the Battlestar Galactica game.

Lately I've been more rules light than rules heavy. I have the Starcraft game but have never played it. I tried but after looking at it, it just seemed overly complex.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson