New Doctor Who RPG...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

New Doctor Who RPG...

Post by Treebore »

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/pa ... 48btpy88wv

All I can tell you about Cubicle 7 is that they were a fun bunch of people at Gen Con and that I have bought Qin and Starblazers by them, and am happy.

So I would expect this to be a good, loyal, fun RPG.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Secret Skeleton
Ulthal

Post by Secret Skeleton »

I don't intend to play this game, but I have still ordered it as I am a rabid Doctor Who fan. I cannot say I am too large a fan of the new series when comparing it to the original, but I do watch it. The Big Finish Audio Dramas are far better, in my opinion.

Colin Baker has always been my favorite Doctor and in the audio dramas he has finally gotten his chance to prove he really is good at the part.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Angus and the crew at cubicle 7 are awesome. Im not a Who fan, but McBain is all over this game, so I may end up getting run through it if he ever decides to run it.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Wulfgarn
Lore Drake

Post by Wulfgarn »

My daughter is a MASSIVE Dr Who fan - and Ilove it as well hailing backfrom the days of Tom Baker .

Any way - Ill be looking to pick ths up n feb for her B-day

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

I picked this up today. Only thumbed through it so far, but it looks good. We got some old Dr. Who DVDs that I've been wanting to watch again, I'll be thinking gaming as I watch them now.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

My girlfriend got me into the show. That and the reviews here have sold me to buy it now (while I have a shot at getting the David Tennant cover to hopefully get my girlfriend into gaming).
I'd like to thank the above posters for lightening my wallet.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

Man that is one heavy price tag though.

Know your roll!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

My copy is supposed to be at the flgs this Thursday. It is a hefty price tag. The game is being put out overseas, and it's a hot property, so go figure. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. I'm a Who fan back to 1983 or 84 after seeing the program on St. Louis' PBS station. My friends and I played the old FASA DW rpg back in the day. In recent years, another friend and I have occasionally worked on conversion notes for Savage Worlds. That's what we intend to do with the new game as well. We'll get the best of the old and new game to use with Sav WOrlds. I'm totally excited.

As far as Who goes in general, I'm a bigger fan of the original overall, but both have their strengths and weaknesses. Favorite docs? It's too hard to rank them, but I'll try to do it. My top slots(no particular order)Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Jon Pertwee, David Tennant, Chris Eccleston...aww Hell I've pretty much mentioned all of em. Truth be known, I like something about each of the doctor's regenerations. I'm also quite fond of Patrick Troughton, Colin Baker, and Bill Hartnell. Even Sylvester McCoy. Although, his seasons were largely riddled with bad stories. Well, not all of them. Remembrance of the Daleks, and a few others were good. I managed to go to a few DW conventions back in the late 80's. Got Patrick Troughton's autograph the same year he died. Also Colin Baker, Nicholas Courtney(The Brigadier), Janet "Tegan" Fielding, and John "K-9" Leeson. In the later years, I managed to meet Peter Davison at Dragon Con.

Getting Back on topic...can't get my copy of the DW rpg soon enough!

Wulfgarn
Lore Drake

Post by Wulfgarn »

is there a reveiw ofd the game anywhere - is it worth that price tag?

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

I went to that DW convention in KC the year Patrick passed on. He was supposed to be there and it was a bummer that is the thing I'll rmemeber most about an otherwise cool day spent.

Know your roll!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

RPG.net reviews it here is the link:
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14631.phtml

Also over at RPGnow in PDF, there is are two review as of this posting as well.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... s_id=68979

aztecman
Ungern

Post by aztecman »

Wulfgarn wrote:
is there a reveiw ofd the game anywhere - is it worth that price tag?

I picked it up this weekend at my local game shop (Zombie Planet) - they had quite a few in stock.

The game is definitely well worth the price of admission. You get everything you need to play (including dice) and the production value is top notch! Value-wise, you get soooo much in the boxed set, and everything is printed full color - I was surprised it wasn't more.

If you're a Dr. Who fan and a gamer, I'd say it's a must buy. There's going to be a fair amount of support for it too. I was very pleased. They're even posted a conversion guide from the old FASA Time Lord rpg into the new game.

It's very nice.

Aztecman

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I'm not a huge Dr Who fan (at least not the new version) so probable won't get the game. However, the other games at cubicle 7 looked good. Any "you must get this game" or idea mines that you all would suggest ?

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Secret Skeleton
Ulthal

Post by Secret Skeleton »

I like Victoriana quite a bit. I have been running a Pulp/Supernatural/Super Hero Victorian game off and on for years and it is the latest book we use. It has over 100 pages of just how to run the game in the setting. It's really a good buy. Plus the rules for combat, once you learn them, are really more like an actual fight than any d20 game.

You'll need lots of d6's. And I mean LOTS.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

They're even posted a conversion guide from the old FASA Time Lord rpg into the new game.

Can we get a clarification on that statement. There was a Time Lord rpg at one point, but it was some years after FASA's Doctor Who rpg. Personally, I hope the conversion if for FASA's. Might help me a bit as I convert FASA's game, and Cubicle's to Savage Worlds. Getting my copy of the new game this week. I'm hoping my flgs will take my much under-used copy of D&D phb 4th for partial trade value.