Best fantasy novel or series you've read- ever

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Best fantasy novel or series you've read- ever

Post by slimykuotoan »

Pour moi, I'd have to go with, Dragonlance: Chronicles.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

For me it's Fred Saberhagen's Books of Swords series (with his Berserker series falling right behind). The first three books were the very first fiction novels I had ever read... so that probably has something to do with my decision. But to this day (it was over 20 years ago when I first began to read the swords books) I still enjoy re-reading them from time to time. And as a side note... if you've read the Swords books but you haven't read the Empire of the East books... you really should (they take place in the same world, hundreds of years before what happens in the Books of Swords).

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Hmm, leme think . . . Hobbit/LoTRs . . Shannara , , , Redwall for the kids ~ Harry Potter for sure.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

The Belgariad and thus far A Song of Ice and Fire.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Visit the new BASH Forums!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

The Dying Earth series, by Jack Vance

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Best fantasy novel or series you've read- ever

Post by gideon_thorne »

The Wheel of Time.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Sundog
Red Cap

Post by Sundog »

What, just one? You're cruel. Um, I can't speak for a particular favourite to be honest. For instance, I love the way that the Discworld books are a kind of anti-Star wars, in that Lucas writes very old-fashioned fairy tales with princes and prophets and knights and squires and wizards and things, then wraps them up in spaceships and robots, aliens and ray-guns. Then Pratchett writes very modern stories about equality, morality, the need for critical thought and the responibility of consequences, and then wraps them up in fantasy tropes like wizards, witches, dwarfs, gods, werewolves, magic and giant turtles.

I read Feist's Magician at a receptive age, and got my own copy for Christmas, and for ever after when I walk through the woods near my home on a snowy or frosty day I'm reminded of the Duke's headlong flight through the Green Heart.

But right now, one series that sticks in my mind is Louise Cooper's* Star Shadow trilogy. They were great books which borrowed from the local library, and I hope to own them myself one day.

Essentially it's a high-magic civil war, with an oppressive regime, propped up with brutal sorcery, trampling the innocent folks underfoot. Their authority and power comes from the Chaos gods, who vanquished and exiled the gods of Law many centuries before. There is still resistance, however, and one group has even managed to open a fragile line of communication with one of the exiled gods. Anyway, this thoroughly entertaining story romps through three fat volumes until we come to the end, which is an absolute beaut. When you compare it with the horrendoues finale of her Indigo story, the denouement here was so much the better, too.

Essentially, the rebels manage to push the old regime further and further back upon its ancestral fortess, untl at last the gods of Law are free to return to the world and the god of Chaos are themselvs forced to leave. they accept the change of tides, and depart when the rebel victory becomes obvious. But one of them, at the last, puts down the hitory book he was reading in the library,leaving it open at a critical page. He wants the vioctorious rebels to see it. He wants them to understand.

The Chaos gods had been invited to the world, to throw off the shackles of the absolutist lords of Law, to free the opressed people from centuries of tyranny. Turn and turn about.

I'm also a fan of Michael Scott Rohan's work. I really enjoyed his "Winter of the World" series, with its "true smithcraft" magic where skill and song infuse manufacture items with virtues and powers by a smith who knows how. I really love his stories of Stephen Fisher, though; Chase the Morning, The Gates of Noon and Clouid Castles, where the world we know and the world it may be segue and blend into each other at the turn of a road, the lilt of a song or the cast of one's mind, where a voodoo oba, dressed as a hobo, plays the blues on the streets of New Orleans, or where London's Docklands still picks up exotic cargoes from lands that never really existed, and where the terminal delerium of a Spanish grandee breathes life into Baron Samedi. Heady stuff.

*Louise Cooper is an odd author; I first hated, then loved, then hated her Indigo saga all over again. At first I really disliked the intro, with its "Man and his (oh yes, very much his) evil technology brought the vengeance of the slighted Mother Earth upon Him, and jolly good riddance to it, too" homily. I hate that kind of neo-Luddite stuff. But I got through it and into the story, even if it was a clumsy Pandora-esque tale of misplaced resentment unleashing terrible demons upon the world, whom Indigo herself must face and vanquish until they're all dealt with.

And so we go through them, demon by demon, tale by tale, and it's all jolly good stuff, too. Until we come to the last book and the end of the tale. At the end, we discover that these demons are in fact just bits of our heroine's own personality, and that her quest has simply been to sort out her own demons, as it were.

So all those people who died (and there are a lot), did so just so some spoiled little princess can get her head sorted?! Do effin' what? I was annoyed and disgusted, especially since the previous novels had been such a good read.
"History teaches us that men behave wisely after they've exhausted all other alternatives."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Too hard to say. I can tell you that I think I enjoyed reading the DragonLance series the most of all (Chronicles, Legends, 2nd Generation, Summer Flame, and the War of Souls), but I think these books are far from the best fantasy books written.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

dutch206
Red Cap

Post by dutch206 »

Best ever? Lord of the Rings Trilogy. It may not be the best, but it was the first. Professor Tolkien casts a mighty long shadow over the fantasy genre.

Personal favorite: Robert Jordan's wheel of time series. I know how it has to turn out, but I like it anyway. Here's hoping that little brat figures out how to play "snakes and foxes" so we can get Moranie Sedai out of the other world.

danbuter
Hlobane Orc

Post by danbuter »

The Black Company series by Glen Cook.

or

Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steve Erikson.

Dan
http://home.comcast.net/~danbuter/candc.html - my Castles and Crusades webpage

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I can't name one. If I had to, I'd say Dragons of Autumn Twilight. That book was (and is) truly spectacular.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

JediOre
Red Cap

Post by JediOre »

Le Guin's Earthsea trilogy is one that I've returned to time and again. Many of the others I love have been mentioned, but I thought this series of books should be mentioned.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that flying mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Whoa - forgot to mention that I really, really liked the DL Chronicles (thanks to my friend Jaybird!!) and also enjoyed Gary's first Gord book . . Saga of Old City.

Poul Anderson's 3 Hearts and 3 Lions was fabulous.

Oh and I enjoyed a bunch of Howard's Conan.

But, I'm still catching up on fantasy novels - as I've spent most of my reading on classics and sci-fi.

So, I'll get back to you after I've read everything!!

Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

Hrolfgar
Red Cap

Post by Hrolfgar »

Frizt Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

How can you pick?

I too liked the Belgariad.

I'm big on RA Salvatore too. Don't care if they're a product book, they're good and fun.

That said, so were the Dragonlance books, right? or did they do the novels first, then the D&D supplement?

LOTR will always be special, but before that was CONAN and Lovecraft. hello.

How can you pick?

My favorite is the one I just finished!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Dragonlance Chronicles.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Based purely on which one I have reread the most often: Belgariad/Mallorean series. I really love the characterization the most. Silk is probably my all time favorite thief type.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Hrolfgar wrote:
Frizt Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser

I'll throw a vote out for these two heros, too.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

I will have to go with the following from my vault o' books:

1. The Avatar Series. (Thanks to Slimy for suggesting this one moons ago..)

2. Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. (Too bad they tarnished it with that god forsaken tv series, its bad Bad BAD!!!)

3. War of the Spider Queen various writers (I love drow, LOVE Lloth and LLOOVVEE the Abyss, nuf said)

L.S.

Society Member: http://www.cncsociety.org/

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

LordSeurek wrote:
2. Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. (Too bad they tarnished it with that god forsaken tv series, its bad Bad BAD!!!)

*chuckles* Some of us are quite enjoying that series actually.

Who can go wrong with chicks in red leather who mack on each other?

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

gideon_thorne wrote:

Fair point Peter, but the acting is horrible man.....

Society Member: http://www.cncsociety.org/

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

LordSeurek wrote:
Fair point Peter, but the acting is horrible man.....

Wasn't looking at her 'acting'. Great to freeze frame for action scenes though.

But I did enjoy the SOT book series.

Peter Bradley

CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Post by CharlieRock »

The Conan Saga by Robert E. Howard

Know your roll!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

If I go by the number of times I've re-read them, series: The Lord of the Rings, novel: The Eaters of the Dead.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

This thread is great for making a list!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

James M. Ward
Red Cap

Post by James M. Ward »

I hate to be part of a long line, but LORD OF THE RINGS is right up there. But let me add Simon R. Green's Hawk & Fisher series as something to read and enjoy.

James M. Ward

Fat Dragon Games
Dragon Troll

Post by Fat Dragon Games »

gideon_thorne wrote:

QFT!

Plus, unlike other shows like the new BSG, this is one I can actually sit down and watch with my son.

Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

Castles & Crusades...more D&D than D&D.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

I really loved DL Chronicles when I read them as a teenager. I picked them up again a few years ago (before sending 'em on to Rhu), and I just couldn't rekindle the magic.
One series that I remember enjoying around the same time (Thanks to the Science Fiction book club) was Thieves' World. It was a compilation of different authors who took turns writing chapters of the story. I was just thinking about that series a few weeks ago when, what do you know? I came across the first two books on the $1 rack at Half Price Books. I'm looking forward to revisiting hem, and am hopeful I won't repeat disappointment.

Honorable Mention, I guess, goes to a book called "The Exploits of Ebenezum". It was a comedic novel about a wizard who was cursed to be allergic to magic. He and his bumbling, girl-crazy apprentice set out to concoct a cure. If I remember correctly, it had a fast-talking demon who was the sleazy used car dealer of cursed magic items and a barbarian who was so dumb that he failed to realize that Ebenezum was the wizard he'd been hired to assassinate. He became his bodyguard instead.

Finally, gotta admit loving Lord of the Rings. Despite his verbosity, Tolkien paints quite the beautiful picture for your imagination.

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

My favorite series is Lee's "Secret Books of Paradys", with the high points being the novella "Malice in Saffron" (in the "Book of the Damned"), and the last novel, the "Book of the Mad". The Paradys series is hard to place genre-wise, though, as it touches dark fantasy, science fiction, horror, and alternative history.

Equally hard to fit into a single genre is Jan Potocki's "The Manuscript Found in Saragossa.". Potocki is one of the giants of Polish literature, and the "Manuscript" is an unrelentingly weird series of tales-within-tales that range from ghost stories to cabalistic romance.
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Ok, if this thread is good for making lists, I recommend these:

The Thieves World Series.

Might also try The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas under Red Skies both by Scott Lynch.

For those who like gaelic themed stories. Morgan Llewellyn's Celtic World books.

For more Sci fi, I suggest the Deathstalker series by Simon R Green.

Peter Bradley