M&T 3rd printing problems?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Akrasia
Red Cap

M&T 3rd printing problems?

Post by Akrasia »

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that there were some problems with the 3rd printing of M&T (editing issues, iirc).

Is this in fact the case? I'm thinking of picking up a copy in the near future.

Thanks.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: M&T 3rd printing problems?

Post by gideon_thorne »

The whole half a dozen mistakes have been fixed.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

So to clarify what are the latest printings?

M & T is 3rd or 2nd?

PH is 3rd or 4th?

The Gods books is 1st?

I ask cause I want to pick up the books and need to know what's what.

Thanks

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Visit the new BASH Forums!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

M&T is on its 3rd print (I believe, and cannot verify since I don't have one, the Troll Con special release softcover corrects the problems)

PHB is entering the 4th print -- it has not, to my knowledge, been officially released yet (there is a softcover special edition that was available at Troll Con and a time afterward)

Of Gods and Monsters is like the PHB, only it has 1 print; I do not think it has been officially released, either, it being available only as a Troll Con offering, but I am not sure

The way to tell the difference between printings (at least for the most recent) is extremely simple -- if the cover is some color except yellow-ish, then it is new. For the others, look at the spine... if the TLGXXXX ends in 2, 3, etc, then it is whatever number printing; this does apply to the 3rd print M&T and 4th print PHB as well, in case you're completely color blind.

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

gideon_thorne wrote:
The whole half a dozen mistakes have been fixed.

Are you saying the newer third printings aren't going to have the same problems as the first runs will?

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

garydee wrote:
Are you saying the newer third printings aren't going to have the same problems as the first runs will?

I would assume that the problems that exist in the 3rd print hardcover run will exist in all of them. Notably, the missing shark stats being the most glaring error. The limited softcover run TLG did up for the recent Trollcon did correct this problem.

Hey Peter...

Did the header problem get corrected on the two pages (around the X, Y, Z section of the monster pages) to replace 'Introduction' header? I noticed that the softcover still had this in there.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

moriarty777 wrote:
I would assume that the problems that exist in the 3rd print hardcover run will exist in all of them. Notably, the missing shark stats being the most glaring error. The limited softcover run TLG did up for the recent Trollcon did correct this problem.

Hey Peter...

Did the header problem get corrected on the two pages (around the X, Y, Z section of the monster pages) to replace 'Introduction' header? I noticed that the softcover still had this in there.

M

Well, im pretty sure that anything that went to GenCon has all the fixes in it.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Akrasia
Red Cap

Post by Akrasia »

I take it that the soft cover version will not be widely available?
moriarty777 wrote:
... the missing shark stats being the most glaring error...

I take it, then, that this is a good way to check whether a copy of M&T is one of the 'fixed' copies or not? Thanks.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

No, the softcover will not be distributed -- it was a one-off. And, yes, if there is a statblock for the shark, it is a corrected version.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Akrasia wrote:
I take it that the soft cover version will not be widely available?

I take it, then, that this is a good way to check whether a copy of M&T is one of the 'fixed' copies or not? Thanks.

The soft cover is not though I hope TLG revises their stance on this. What made the soft cover version really nice was full color plates in the book (like the old 2nd Edition AD&D PHB and DMG) which the hardbacks do not have. The difference is the softcover versions are printed 'in-house' as opposed to the hardbacks which are printed via a third party.

As to new versions of the hardcover... unless things have changed and TLG printed a limited batch of 'corrected copies', checking to see if the Shark entry has stats would be the best way. TLG did start an Errata file as a download which includes the shark stats as well as the revision on Combat Dominance which appears in the newest printing of the PHB. They are also updating this file to include other significant changes and additions as to not render older printings of the PHB obsolete.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Jynx
Red Cap

Post by Jynx »

moriarty777 wrote:
What made the soft cover version really nice was full color plates in the book (like the old 2nd Edition AD&D PHB and DMG) which the hardbacks do not have. The difference is the softcover versions are printed 'in-house' as opposed to the hardbacks which are printed via a third party.

I saw Moriarty's softcover and I gotta say WOW

I would easily pay a little more for full color like that. If the rest of the lineup such as M&T were ever available in color, I would buy em all!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

The soft covers I believe will be available direct from TLG, but I am not sure if they are going to go through distribution channels. That's not to say one couldn't get their game shop to order them directly from TLG however.

Peter Bradley

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

Crap now I want softcovers!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Jynx
Red Cap

Post by Jynx »

AslanC wrote:
Crap now I want softcovers!

I know how you feel. I also want to have all the books but I am not interested in having multiple copies of each. I would rather just wait till I know I'll be able to get what I want which is a full set of PHB/CKG/M&T in the same cover/style and preferably in color too!

I have the 1st print of the PHB and the only reason I purchased the 2nd printing of the PHB was because the 1st was just awful. I didn't like the font, otherwise I would have waited and not purchased the 1st.

But like almost everything these days, there is always something better around the corner. It all depends on WHEN you need it and how long you are willing to wait for it.

Now .... if TLG are really going to offer a softcover of their books, with the paper stock and color I saw in the sample Moriarty has, then I'm definately not going to rush out and buy anything until the softcovers are ready. I'm in no hurry!

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

Okay seriously... can one get a softcover? Like the one Moriarty has? Or are they some sort of limited item that's gonna show up on Ebay for 3 times their price?

I NEED to know!!!!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

AslanC wrote:
Okay seriously... can one get a softcover? Like the one Moriarty has? Or are they some sort of limited item that's gonna show up on Ebay for 3 times their price?

I NEED to know!!!!

I already answered this question, about 3 posts up.

Peter Bradley

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

gideon_thorne wrote:
The soft covers I believe will be available direct from TLG, but I am not sure if they are going to go through distribution channels. That's not to say one couldn't get their game shop to order them directly from TLG however.

Sorry I took the words "I believe" to be uncertain as opposed to certain
Forgive my ignorance.

So they are or are not going to be available from TLG?
I would pay the shipping for that

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

AslanC wrote:
Sorry I took the words "I believe" to be uncertain as opposed to certain
Forgive my ignorance.

So they are or are not going to be available from TLG?
I would pay the shipping for that

The only thing I am not sure of is whether or not these will be going through direct distribution. The question as to whether they are going to be available or not has already been answered since folks actually have soft covers in their hands.

Peter Bradley

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

Thank you sir

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=