C&C Core Books, Perfect Bound, Color Plates

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
porkuslime
Ungern

Post by porkuslime »

Gee, down here in Central Ohio, I got mine yesterday.. and FORGOT it at home for reading today ..

However, the book LOOKS nice, and those Value Added Color plates make it pop!

jeffb
Ungern

Post by jeffb »

So are we (i.e. y'all) saying that new 4th print of the PHB is finally shipping?

and G&M is shipping too?
"I feel books like "A Princess of Mars", "The Swords of Lankhmar" and "The Black Company" are far more important to your gaming experience than whether you choose between OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, or D&D4E." - The Ravyn

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

jeffb wrote:
So are we (i.e. y'all) saying that new 4th print of the PHB is finally shipping?

and G&M is shipping too?

These are the special edition limited softcovers TLG printed up for Troll Con - the ones not sold at the con were offered until sold out, and those are what are shipping out this week...

the 4th Print of the PHB hardback is done and at the printers, so should be through its print run and going out sometime in the next several weeks leading into GenCon...

Of Gods & Monsters was, like, 98% done and just needed to go through last bit of polishing before heading to printers for the hardback run....

(all per Steve in different places around the threads)

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

jeffb
Ungern

Post by jeffb »

seskis281 wrote:
These are the special edition limited softcovers TLG printed up for Troll Con - the ones not sold at the con were offered until sold out, and those are what are shipping out this week...

the 4th Print of the PHB hardback is done and at the printers, so should be through its print run and going out sometime in the next several weeks leading into GenCon...

Of Gods & Monsters was, like, 98% done and just needed to go through last bit of polishing before heading to printers for the hardback run....

(all per Steve in different places around the threads)

Ahh..OK. Thx for the explanation! I'll hold off placing my order for a bit then
"I feel books like "A Princess of Mars", "The Swords of Lankhmar" and "The Black Company" are far more important to your gaming experience than whether you choose between OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, or D&D4E." - The Ravyn

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

I checked today and it still isn't in.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I was too quick to yell at the post office today. Though, thye just happened to be a little late with the post. I did receive my copies of PHB, G&G and M&T today in the Cleveland Ohio area.

Sweet jeebus these books are awesome. Now it's time to cut out of work early and get to reading!
~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

Omote wrote:
I was too quick to yell at the post office today. Though, thye just happened to be a little late with the post. I did receive my copies of PHB, G&G and M&T today in the Cleveland Ohio area.

Sweet jeebus these books are awesome. Now it's time to cut out of work early and get to reading!
~O

I'm so jealous. I live much closer to Little Rock than most of you on the board and I still don't have it. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow. If not, the people at the post office will have hell to pay.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

garydee wrote:
I'm so jealous. I live much closer to Little Rock than most of you on the board and I still don't have it. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow. If not, the people at the post office will have hell to pay.

Haha. Its weird how the post office works. Any time Steve sends me anything (and I live 3.5 hours west of Little Rock) I watch the tracking info. First the package goes to West Memphis. Then for some strange reason it goes up to Kansas City, then it goes over to Oklahoma City. Whereupon it turns back around to come to my house.

You would think these postal people could save themselves some money and just drive the package straight to my door?

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Haha. Its weird how the post office works. Any time Steve sends me anything (and I live 3.5 hours west of Little Rock) I watch the tracking info. First the package goes to West Memphis. Then for some strange reason it goes up to Kansas City, then it goes over to Oklahoma City. Whereupon it turns back around to come to my house.

You would think these postal people could save themselves some money and just drive the package straight to my door?

Don't you just love the efficiency of our government?

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

garydee wrote:
Don't you just love the efficiency of our government?

It's not an issue of government efficiency. (and lets not get started on the government efficiency vs. privatised/corporate efficiency debate - too political) UPS and FedEx packages don't travel in straight lines either. Its all an issue of where their distribution centers are. Packages move between distribution centers, then to your door.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

dachda wrote:
It's not an issue of government efficiency. (and lets not get started on the government efficiency vs. privatised/corporate efficiency debate - too political) UPS and FedEx packages don't travel in straight lines either. Its all an issue of where their distribution centers are. Packages move between distribution centers, then to your door.

Without trying to get too political it has a lot to do with government efficiency. Of course the private companies don't go in a straight line, but their distribution system isn't as insane as our postal service. This is one of the reasons why the U.S. postal system is near bankrupt.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

I hope we can keep this thread friendly and on-topic
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

These color plates in the softcover PHB is amazing. I really hope that one day TLG can produce hardback books with color plates in them. The artwork is just awesome and really gives the game a sense of feelings. I'm not saying the entire book needs to be in color, but for sure the color pages are fantastic!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

Breakdaddy wrote:
I hope we can keep this thread friendly and on-topic

Of course, my apologies for getting it off course.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I'm wondering if anything stays on topic here?

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Julian Grimm wrote:
I'm wondering if anything stays on topic here?

Well, true that!
Omote- Yeah dude, those plates are nice. Good idea by Steve. I like them so much these softcovers might end up being my favorites over the future hardcovers
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Man, I love me a dead-tree, hardback book for sure. But I might have to agree with you B-to-the-Daddy, these softcovers with the nice color artwork are choice.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Here's a great idea...

Re-consider a special edition hardbacks like the leatherettes.

The only reason I've avoiding getting earlier versions is some of the uncorrected errata and a couple of layout glitches. If this is largely resolved, a collectors edition of the books with color plates may be worth considering down the line (next year perhaps?).

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Does anyone know if there are anymore copies left? I'm in a school in Az and have little free time and less access to the outside world (I'm in the base library right now & my cell doesn't work) so didnt get to cal in an order earlier.

If there are some left, ask the Troll lord to read the e-mail from me and I'll have the ceck in the mail ASAP!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

*sigh* Still not in the mail. How in the world does it take more than three days by way of priority mail when I'm less than 500 miles away?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

My books came today!!!!! I've only had time to give them a quick going over, but the new lay-out is awsome. Very easy to locate info on a page and easy to read. The new barabarian is more along the lines of how I see them. The expanded Illusionist list has some wicked looking spells in it. The color plates are wicked good. I like the optional "multiclassing" rules at the back of the PHB. All in all, well worth getting them. I may not have to get the hardbacks now, but probably will anyway.
Well done, boys, well done.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

MattyHelms
Ungern

Post by MattyHelms »

Rigon wrote:
My books came today!!!!! I've only had time to give them a quick going over, but the new lay-out is awsome. Very easy to locate info on a page and easy to read. The new barabarian is more along the lines of how I see them. The expanded Illusionist list has some wicked looking spells in it. The color plates are wicked good. I like the optional "multiclassing" rules at the back of the PHB. All in all, well worth getting them. I may not have to get the hardbacks now, but probably will anyway.
Well done, boys, well done.

R-

I was just about to post the same, word for word. The new PHB - especially the new barbarian and new illusionist - are 27 shades of awesome.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I'll third that.

More art, (not just the color plates) better cleaner layout, all weapons on one spread....

Monk tweaks I like, the barbarian i LIke except maybe their power at 10th level, but overall, SO MUCH BETTER.

the flavor is just better. maybe perfect. it just seems more, I dunno, barbaric.

the primal feats ability (not it's real name, I can't recall it now) makes them very much more in line with conan and more versitle, instead of being very defense-oriented as in the 3rd printing.

The book looks sweet, and I dig the cover art.

The soft cover makes it easy to thumb thru also, which I hadn't expected as a bonus.

A+++++ all around!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I wanted to tell all of you how great the new look is, but I figured the wait was hard enough on all of you as it was.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Got mine today - sweet!

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

My order of all 3 books came in the mail (to my office) on Friday, but I forgot them on my desk when I left for the weekend! I never even got a chance to open the envelope.

However, I joyfully remedied that today. First impressions are that the books are fantastic. My one beef was artwork (wouldn't it be, though?). The color plates are an excellent idea, and I really enjoyed the copious amounts of new work from Peter and the others. There is some really great stuff in there. However, I'm *hoping* that some of the pictures in the M&T were being used as placeholders just to get the book out the door in time for Troll Con. There were several pieces by various artists that were more rough sketches/thumbnails than finished work. Hopefully the trolls just wanted something in there without having to rush the artists with a truncated deadline. Now, having said that, I really *enjoyed* seeing some of Peter's work that was more unfinished and raw.

I can't wait for a quiet moment to dig a little deeper into all three books. Thanks, Trolls!

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Great news for a lot of you cats that are now able to enjoy the 4th crusade stuff! My Tainted Lands game last Saturday was played with the new books but sadly only one of the 5 PCs in that game was using a tweaked class (a monk in this case). I would love to see a new barbarian or the pumped up new illusionist with his nice healing secondary abilities in action, but I'm sure that will be seen soon enough. Game on!
-Genghis Khan

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

Illusionists have healing ability? That sounds fantastic!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

garydee wrote:
Illusionists have healing ability? That sounds fantastic!

via some spells, yes.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

As Tree said, it's through spells. More specifically, they gain access to the "cure" line of cleric spells and the "heal" spell, albeit at a much higher cost (heal is a level 9 Illusionist spell as opposed to the clerical version which is level what, 6 I think?). IMO, it makes the Illusionist a much greater force to be reckoned with.
-Genghis Khan