Star Trek Movie

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
GameOgre
Ulthal

Star Trek Movie

Post by GameOgre »

I went to the midnight movie and saw this flick tonight. It not only was the best Star Trek movie I have ever seen but the best Movie Peroid!

Guys this movie was so great in redefined my whole movie scale! The actors were perfect! The story was perfect! The action was perfect!

It totally blew me away in every way.

I was not a Huge Trek fan until now. I plan to go see this movie at least two more times if not more. I just can't believe it was this good!

I can't recommend this movie enough! Go see it!!

Subscriber to Crusader Magazine!
http://www.cncsociety.org

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'm a Trek fan from way back, and the new film will take some getting used to(for me at least). The actors were good enough, I suppose. But there was no way they could fill the original shoes 100 percent. Best Trek movie ever. Nope. It was better than all of the Next Gen films. Let's face it, none of the Next Gen films were ever as good as the best episodes of that series. As for the original films, I'd still have to go with Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and Motion Picture(with it's flaws) over this one. Those three films had heart. This one did to a degree, but I just didn't feel it as much. I'll say more later when it's not 2:23am. I'd give this movie a B at least, maybe higher. Still love my original crew best of all.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I must disagre, ST TMP has so little going for it. It's like the took out all the fun Kirk/Spock/Bones fun and left this soul-less, grey, ughh. And the running length! ugh!

It wasn't terrible, but it left one wondering if there's be a sequel. Thankfully there was.

but I digress.

I haven't seen this reboot ST, but have been cautiously excited for a long time, now I'm totally pumped.

I mean, it's all a matter of taste... there are those who won't play C&C b/c it's not 1e.... same thing.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

text! text! text! more text!

It loses its effectiveness! when! used at the end! of everything! If you know what I'm saying.
Glad you like the movie, and you're enthusiastic about it. However, I find it very improbable to define a movie as "best ever" when there are more movies being made -- it may be the best so far... but, OK. Anyway, yeah, I'd agree that The Next Generation movies essentially sucked, and so did most of the Original Crew Movies (something about a curse), so this one has a chance to finally set the record straight.... but, I can't get myself worked up about it. Guess that takes being a fan.

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

Ok I have had eight hours sleep and time to reflect on the movie.

I still think it was the best movie EVAH!
I liked the Wrath of Khan Movie but the rest...not soo much. The TV show (old one) was pretty good and the Next Generation was good though it lacked a little something to make me watch it every week. I eventually saw them all but only once the show was off.

As far as the rest of the shows went it was always hit and miss.

This Star Trek Movie is the only movie I ever made plans to see more than once. I'm going to the 4:30 show today and will prob see the next showing as well with Angie and the boys.

I know everyone has differant tastes and likes but my point of this post is to let you guys know that it is a very good movie and regardless of what you like best(as far as Star Trek goes anyway) This movie jut doesnt suck!
I also think that it handled the whole (What Crew is best) thing very well and also the don't tread on sacred ground thing very well.

Geez! Is this what its like to be a Fanboy? I wonder if I can find a Star Trek uniform that I can fit all 270 pounds into and go buy one of those Cell phones that looks like a communicator....................................

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

I think a problem most Trekkie fans like myself would have with it is that we are used to what was good for us, or me at least, and that is the old actors. I'll have a hard time watching this flick wondering where the old Spock, Bones, and Captain Kirk are and who are these new guys taking their place.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie, but as long as I don't expect what I loved in Wrath of Kahn, and the older movies, I wont be disappointed.

L.S.

Society Member: http://www.cncsociety.org/

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Seeing it tonight!

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

slimykuotoan wrote:
Seeing it tonight!

Curses on you Slimy, get me out of this frozen hole!

Society Member: http://www.cncsociety.org/

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Oh, and it's TrekKER L.S.

JediOre
Red Cap

Post by JediOre »

I just got a call from a friend of mine who saw the midnight showing. His reaction is the exact opposite of GameOgre's. He HATED the flick with a burning anger that rivals the Sun! He says they ruined Spock among others. Wow, was he angry.

Zack's a big Star Trek fan of the original series and the first six films. He was not pleased. He did say the special effects were outstanding and the other good thing about the movie is his ticket to the film was at no charge (that boy always has connections).
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that flying mummy! What could possibly happen?"

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

Just saw the movie and I agree with gameOgre ( to a point), that it's the best Star Trek film ever made. Although those who like the old Star trek will be shaking their fists and yelling at the heavens on what I wrote and may refuse to see it , just keep an open mind you just might enjoy it !.

Cheers

IMP

JediOre
Red Cap

Post by JediOre »

I have not seen it, but my gut is against it, especially after my friend Zach vented.

I'm really big on being true to the original in most things, from stories, to politics, to religion, to games. With that said, this film, from everything I've heard (and I try not to listen to spoilers) has a hard break from the original concept of the TV series. It's the same reason I dislike the new BattleStar Galatica. It might be a great series, but it is not true to the original so they should have changed the names instead of highjacking the original.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that flying mummy! What could possibly happen?"

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

JediOre wrote:
I have not seen it, but my gut is against it, especially after my friend Zach vented.

I'm really big on being true to the original in most things, from stories, to politics, to religion, to games. With that said, this film, from everything I've heard (and I try not to listen to spoilers) has a hard break from the original concept of the TV series. It's the same reason I dislike the new BattleStar Galatica. It might be a great series, but it is not true to the original so they should have changed the names instead of highjacking the original.

I stay give it a chance and have an open mind if/when you do see it. There are a couple of scenes I figure might upset a few (much like those who hate C&C for not being exactly like AD&D). Your friends reaction against the movie is the first really negative one I've heard thus far but I'm sure it won't be the last.

Some people loved the new Battlestar while others hated it. It doesn't change the fact that the new series was a success but it does mean a different viewing audience.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

I plan on seeing it. But, to try and compare it to the older versions? How? There's no way in hell that you can have the old guys come back and play there parts. I've enjoyed all the different Trek series over the years, for their part. Due to my age, I have a soft spot for the original series, but they are all pretty good.

I'll just take it for what it is, and that's hopefully an enjoyable movie. If not, the popcorn better be good!!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Deogolf wrote:
I'll just take it for what it is, and that's hopefully an enjoyable movie. If not, the popcorn better be good!!

It's hard to mess up popcorn so you should be golden.

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

My best two best friends and their wives went to see it last night as well. I just got off the phone with them and both loved the movie.

James is a Die Hard original Star Trek only kind of guy so I was surprised that he loved it. He said it was like they cloned the originals
I was all geared up to Geekfight him over the phone when he hit me with "This movie tied with Khan!". You just don' know how strange that was. James is so umm err Picky about the Trek. He HATES the new stuff and only went to go see the movie last night because of his wife.

Then my son who saw it last night with me asked if we could play some Star Trek rpg.

Damn its good to be alive!

Well I'll lt you know ho the second and maybe third viewing is later.

See yas guys! Have a good one.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Very awesome movie. I'm an avid OST (Original Star Trek) guy. That being said, this movie was great. If you took out all the characters, all the actors and all things Trek and replaced them, it would be a good movie (i.e. the plot and storyline are well written and work out very well). Speaking of the actors, each one was great in his / her role (especially McCoy!) If you are a Trek fan, go see it. If you're not, go see it. You will be.

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

shadoes
Hlobane Orc

Post by shadoes »

I went into this with an open mind. Tried very hard to keep my expectations low. And it was a good thing. I sat there and kept thinking.."oh you almost got it..nope lost it". The movie has its moments but almost all of those moments feel forced. Like the story is driving forward to just those moments then it falls flat. Part of this bored me. But overall it just felt forced, and WAY to many convenient things happen to make this the best Trek ever. Not even close. Better than the TNG movies, yea those pretty uniformly sucked.

However with that being said now that we got the 2 hour intro out of the way maybe we can go on with the adventures and tell a good story that doesn't involve every Trek cliche in the book. The nods to the movies/series were cute but again they felt forced.

Overall I give it a C and that is mainly for the effort and the fact it is pretty to look at.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Having been born in 1970, I became aware of Trek sometime in the 70's. Used to have an enterprise t-shirt, plastic phasers that shot rings off the tip, and the communicator walkie-talkies. I became an even bigger fan of Trek in the early 80's. Loved TMP(despite some problems) still felt Kirk, Spock, Bones, Illea, and Decker had chemistry at least. Loved Wrath of Khan, and III. The other three had some good, bad, and ugly spots. Upon hearing about Next Gen, I was skeptical, but grew to like it. Particularly season 3-7. Also loved DS9, particularly seasons 4-7(maybe 3 as well). Voyager was one of my least favorites, but some characters and ep's were okay. Enterprise-still haven't seen all of seasons 1 and 2, but saw all of 3 and 4. Those seasons were pretty solid. Left one thing out, Next Gen films overall...meh. That said, I'm a big ol' Trekkie. The new film was pretty decent. Still ranks about 4th for me out of all the Trek films ever made. I agree with many points made here at the forum. Some things seemed a little forced, then again I felt most of the actors did a good job considering the shoes they had to fill. It's not your father's Trek...that's for sure. I have embraced the new movie to a degree, but not as much as I did with the re-envisioned Battlestar. I'm also a huge fan of original BSG. But, I digress. It's getting late once again, so I'll probably skip the full ST review tonight. Let the debate rage on!

Sundog
Red Cap

Post by Sundog »

Still haven't seen it, but I do believe it has one of my old SF bugbears involved that tends to be somewhat overused in Trek over the last decade or so.

Won't spoil it for others, though.

I think the Enterprise looks nice, but it also looks like something out of the late movie era, not pre-TOS. I think that something based (even loosely) on the designs over at the Starfleet Museum would've blown my socks off.

EDIT: Still not used to this new keyboard.
"History teaches us that men behave wisely after they've exhausted all other alternatives."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Indeed. I'm going to go see it, but probably not until next weekend...the I'll be fighting th eurge to go watch Anges and Demons instead.
Seriously, I want to see it and I hope it's good. No offense to anyone here who has seen and reviewed it or know people who have, but I've never listened to others' opinions of movies or books. Tastes differ so much in what we find a good movie and what we don't, so what's crap for you mihgt be greatness for me. That being sai, I do like to hear people's reactions to the movie(s), but I don;t think that would dissuade me from going to see it.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

LordSeurek wrote:
I think a problem most Trekkie fans like myself would have with it is that we are used to what was good for us, or me at least, and that is the old actors. I'll have a hard time watching this flick wondering where the old Spock, Bones, and Captain Kirk are and who are these new guys taking their place.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie, but as long as I don't expect what I loved in Wrath of Kahn, and the older movies, I wont be disappointed.

L.S.

I hear that, but I think this phenomenon is typically limited to film. Consider this: in live theater, folks think nothing of changing the actors. Some even see the same production several times (in a run, or over the years in revivals) in order to see what different actors do with the material... how is Olivier's Hamlet different from Mel Gibson's, Kelsey Grammer's, or (it must be said,) Shatner's? (yes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Sh ... ision_work )

So... it's sort of like ST New Voyages
http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/ except with real actors and money, in that they change out the actors for love of the characters*.

I'm sure we can all agree, the original cast, (those still living, and rest in peace the others) are long in the tooth. and the original TV shows show their age and just aren't cool anymore, even though I love them, have no doubt.

We can agree, the original cast would not work:

ST: Alien Nursing Home!.... coming soon.... in a land, where aliens need 24 hour custodial care.... (clip of elderly Andoran using a walker)... one man.... will fight for justice.... SPOCK! WHERE"S MY... BED.PAN! ... after his nap....

anywho, This is encouraging, on the whole:

At Rotten Tomatoes, Star Trek XI has a 96% positive rating with reviews coming from magazine, newspaper and website critics.

* How true to those Characters is perhaps a sticking point too... I hear Spock may have some issues that irk some purists, but (w/o having seen it yet) I'd posit that he's still a young man working out his developing personality.

(BTW: I so called it months ago, Kirk and Spock become friends because they're both outcasts. I rock!
EDIT: Several people have made the point that it's simply a good movie, which is, to me, a pre-requiste for it being a good ST or scifi movie. In general, people can forget IMO that good genre fiction is good fiction.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Saw Star Trek:

I think it's a film where the people who haven't really been into Trek, will like it immensely.

While I did like it myself, I'd say it was near the bottom of the Star Trek film pile.

Valerian
Hlobane Orc

Post by Valerian »

Saw it last night, great movie ! I on the otherhand would put it at the top of the heap , right up with Wrath of Khan.

To crush the PC's

See their character sheets piled before you

And to hear the lamentations of the players

-Conan the dungeonmaster

Akrasia
Red Cap

Post by Akrasia »

slimykuotoan wrote:

I think it's a film where the people who haven't really been into Trek, will like it immensely.

Great! Sounds like I'll really like this film.
(People who are 'really into Trek' thankfully are not the target audience for this film.)

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Yeah, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, I just wouldn't call it a steller 'Star Trek film'.

On it's own, if I don't think of Trek, I enjoy it more, etc.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I went into the movie with an open mind. Being a fan of almost all things Trek, it's simple to see that movie as a reboot to the franchise and is very valuable to the studio in that regard. Remember, this movie is about making money for the company, not much more.

Thinking that way, I had very low expectations and just went to enjoy the movie.

The first half of Star Trek is really solid, if a tad rushed at points. However, the second half tends to fall into the same type of Star Trek cliche's (more $#!tty time traveling).
THE GOOD:

Karl Urban as Bones McCoy is great. At the time of the casting choice, I was WTF?! But, the actor did the part justice and really honored DeForest Kelley.

The story was kinda lame, but overall had enjoyable performances from the actors.
THE BAD:

MY FAVORITE STAR TREK WORLD BIT THE DUST. THAT PISSES ME OFF!!! *grr*
THE UGLY:

Boy, I never thought you could ruin the Orion women for me. They really crapped up the green woman in this movie, big time.

Overall though, a solid 6.5 / 11.0.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

I enjoyed the movie. As a fan of TOS and DS9 (but who hated the rest), I thought it captured the spirit of the original series which was action, a bit of sex, and above all-FUN.

I wouldn't say it was a great movie, but very entertaining.
A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your face.
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Akrasia wrote:
(People who are 'really into Trek' thankfully are not the target audience for this film.)

I am REALLY into Trek and I thoroughly enjoyed the film, with one caveat: the music. It felt a little too generic and forgettable. That might be because the composer tried to give a nod to all the Star Trek composers of the past instead of trying to create his own sonic landscape.

Nevertheless, Star Trek: The Motion Picture is still the only film that really held true to Gene Roddenberry's original vision. Star Treks II-X forgot about seeking out new life and civilizations in favor of beating the big bad. Star Trek XI gets a special dispensation on the seeking out new life and new civilizations part because Kirk hadn't graduated from Starfleet Academy yet. A little difficult to seek out new life and new civilizations when you're still in school.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Traveller wrote:
I am REALLY into Trek and I thoroughly enjoyed the film, with one caveat: the music. It felt a little too generic and forgettable. That might be because the composer tried to give a nod to all the Star Trek composers of the past instead of trying to create his own sonic landscape.

Nevertheless, Star Trek: The Motion Picture is still the only film that really held true to Gene Roddenberry's original vision. Star Treks II-X forgot about seeking out new life and civilizations in favor of beating the big bad. Star Trek XI gets a special dispensation on the seeking out new life and new civilizations part because Kirk hadn't graduated from Starfleet Academy yet. A little difficult to seek out new life and new civilizations when you're still in school.

I thought Star Trek IV, even though it is widely disregarded as crap, followed a bit of the classic dilemma/solution type themes that pervaded many of classic episodes. But yeah, though they were good movies, many of the other Trek movies kind of strayed from the original intent of Roddenberry and focused a lot more on beating the bad guys. Again, good stuff, though.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.