Shatner reacts to Star Trek Movie Trailer

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Shatner reacts to Star Trek Movie Trailer

Post by slimykuotoan »

For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Nice clip, I was expecting a bigger reaction.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Maliki wrote:
Nice clip, I was expecting a bigger reaction.

Its the non reaction that you need to pay attention too. Changing the subject and avoiding putting forth an opinion. Then saying "Buy my book, its better!" ^_~`

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

That's the part that cracked me up. He's just like "yeah, ok, but I have a book. Two, actually." Classic passive-aggressive "I hate you."

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

serleran wrote:
That's the part that cracked me up. He's just like "yeah, ok, but I have a book. Two, actually." Classic passive-aggressive "I hate you."

Indeed. And I like Shatner's books a whole lot more than I am liking this new movie coming out. The money I save on the movie ticket is going to his book.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

I thought that he appeared to generally like it. Commenting that the Star Trek book which he'd recently released as being similar didn't really seem like "changing the subject" to me.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

A local grocery store here had a special offer: free movie tickets if you bought $25 worth of cereal. The offer wasn't advertised in the flyer, so it was a pleasant surprise to find out that said tickets are for the new Star Trek. I think of it this way: I just saved myself some money, because it wasn't my money that was used to buy the cereal.

As stated before, I'll give the movie a fair shake before approving or condemning it.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

So what if it's not Star Trek as we have known it. I'm thinking this looks good so far. It's just not Trek.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I'm ready for it. Star Trek has needed something to be done for awhile. The Wimp Generation and the Berman years haven't done it well. I like Abram's work from Lost all the way to even Cloverfield. I think this reboot is what the series needs.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I am a fan from way back, watching the original series episodes when I was a kid. I am willing to give the movie a chance.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I think I saw George Takei in that crowd scene, too!

LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

paladin2019
Ungern

Post by paladin2019 »

"If you think I'm gonna be your occasional chocolate delight, you've got another thing comin'!"

I think of that skit every time I see the trailer.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Due respect to Bill Shatner and the mewling masses of trek fans that somehow feel forsaken, but I will decide for my damn whether I like this new film or not.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Due respect to Bill Shatner and the mewling masses of trek fans that somehow feel forsaken, but I will decide for my damn whether I like this new film or not.

+1
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Breakdaddy wrote:

Some of us did just that. Even before Shatner said anything. Paramount's lack of interest in producing something I actually want to watch decided me long before. Leaving Shatner out of a role he made famous was just the nail in the coffin.

Peter Bradley

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

So you're deciding you don't like it even though you haven't seen the movie.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Julian Grimm wrote:
So you're deciding you don't like it even though you haven't seen the movie.

I'm deciding that, from what I have seen of the trailers, selection of cast, and direction the mood of the movie is going in, that its not a movie I want to see. Fortunately, there is enough coming out in other, more worthwhile efforts, that I wont miss anything.

Peter Bradley

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Trailers are what? 10% of the movie? Cast selection doesn't mean much. Jeremy Irons was selected for Dungeons and Dragons and look how that turned out. And since very little in plot detail is out there isn't much to go on. Not the best case for an informed decision.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

When it comes to movies, a trailer is a lot of what you base you decision on.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Sad, but true, DD. Sad, but true.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

That is true though, I tend to try to find out a bit more after I see a trailer. And hell, they did make the Insurrection trailer look good.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Considering the trailer is supposed to contain the "key moments" of the film, to entice you into wanting to watch it. If the pitch sucks, why buy what they're selling?

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I don't care enough about movies to research them, read about them or see what others think. If I think a trailer looks good, I go see it. Or more accurately, I hope I remember it when it comes out on DVD.

I'm just not a movie guy.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Julian Grimm wrote:
Trailers are what? 10% of the movie? Cast selection doesn't mean much. Jeremy Irons was selected for Dungeons and Dragons and look how that turned out. And since very little in plot detail is out there isn't much to go on. Not the best case for an informed decision.

Not steered me wrong before. Every single time I have reacted badly to a trailer, I react badly to the movie when I eventually get bored and watch it on HBO. Every time.

So why waste money on something I have no interest in, only to know for a certainty I'm going to have no interest in it? Is Paramount going to give me a refund? Are they going to give me the two hours + of my life back that I wasted on something I'm not in the least interested in seeing?

My time and money is better spend on things I KNOW I am going to enjoy.

*chuckles* And Jeremy Irons never decided me on anything.

Peter Bradley

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

gideon_thorne wrote:
*chuckles* And Jeremy Irons never decided me on anything.

Ditto.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Ah, Jeremy Irons in "Dungeons and Dragons". Not his best performance. hehe Everybody was pretty bad in that movie. Blue-lip villain was sort of not bad. Tom Baker(4th Doctor Who) wasn't too bad as the Elven healer(or whatever he was). Didn't quite have the Elf-look, but cool that somebody from Doctor Who was cast. I prefer Mystery Spatula 13's version of Dungeons and Dragons. Luke Ski, and others essentially do the MSTK thing over the movie. Far more palatable that way.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Links help.

Not everyone knows what everything is.

Jackal
Ulthal

Post by Jackal »

I've been a Trek fan all my life and have enjoyed every incarnation (with the exception of DS9) in one way or another. I'm excited about the new movie but I do have my doubts. However, doubts aside, I'll it a shot and I really hope to enjoy it (for more reasons than your average movie). A lot of my life-time spare-time has been wrapped up in Star Trek and I really want this new chapter to do well.

Having said all that, this movie comes with a big down-stroke right from the start: There has NEVER been a good Star Trek anything in which the primary villain was Romulan!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Except for DS9? To each his own, but I thought DS9 was one of the standouts(seasons 1 and 2 weren't quite as good, but not horrible. 3 was somewhat better). I thought(with a few exceptions) that seasons 4-7 were gold. Voyager would be my least favorite series overall. Enterprise...seasons 1 and 2(what I saw of it) were sort of meh, but seasons 3 and 4 were quite good overall. Next Gen...seasons 1 and 2...so so. Seasons 3-7...good. Original...seasons 1 and 2 were great. Season 3 had many misses, but a few good ones. As for the movies, ST II, III, and Motion Picture were my favorites(even though STTMP was hated by most). VI was okay, IV is an overly-preachy "save the whales" piece that isn't quite as good as I thought it was back in the day, and V...well, the scene with Bones and the death of his father was great. Not much else. Next Gen movies...hate to say it, but I thought Nemesis was the best of those. Not a Wrath of Khan, but so so at least. None of the Next Gen movies rose to the greatness of the best Next Gen episodes. Have to disagree with your comment about nothing good involving Romulans. Admittedly, Nemesis could have been better, but I thought Balance of Terror, and Enterprise Incident were excellent. A great many ep's of Next Gen and DS9(with the Romulans) were good. Even a few from Enterprise. Have to disagree. As much as I like the Klingons, I'm glad the latest movie isn't another "Klingon Bird of Prey takes on the big Federation ship again". They have gone back to the well when it comes to some other story device being used for the millionth time, but I won't mention it. Possible spoilerage.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Ditto tylermo. Ditto.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<