Is nothing sacred?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
huds0n
Red Cap

Is nothing sacred?

Post by huds0n »

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060831a.php

Does anyone else have a problem with this like i do? I mean seriously, i don't have a problem with full blown remakes. But to go in and "update" someone elses work like that. It would be akin to someone coming in and "updating" all of Peter's artwork that he's done for TLG.

Trolllord Games

Convention Coordinator

Executive Director - TrollCon, Winter Dark
[email protected]

------------------------------------------

ALEA IACTA EST - THE DIE IS CAST

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I can see why it would bother some, but I never cared for the show.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I think it'll be pretty cool... I mean it's not like they're replacing the actors or changing the story any. It will mean a crisper image but it will, hopefully not be over done. I'm curious but I'll ultimately reserve judgement till I actually see one of the re-down episodes. However, I really like the look of the touched-up Enterprise.

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

It will be a strange contrast of the new FX and the old school technology they used in the ship. Remember those giant plastic cubes they used that held data? I like the old FX just because the campiness was part of the original charm.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Bring back The Kirk! At all costs!

My god, spock....we're...(pause and pose)...back..in-prime-time-again!

Brian Miller

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Sounds cool to me. I just recently started watching Trek after I saw a biography on Rodenberry.

-George Washington

Dragonhelm
Red Cap

Post by Dragonhelm »

moriarty777 wrote:
I think it'll be pretty cool... I mean it's not like they're replacing the actors or changing the story any. It will mean a crisper image but it will, hopefully not be over done. I'm curious but I'll ultimately reserve judgement till I actually see one of the re-down episodes. However, I really like the look of the touched-up Enterprise.

Moriarty the Red

I like it too. As long as it's a touch-up and not a "Greedo shoots first" type of thing, I'm good.

What I hope, though, is that the eventual DVD set will have both original and remastered episodes on each disc, rather than forcing you to buy two sets.

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

serleran wrote:
I can see why it would bother some, but I never cared for the show.

Has nothing to do whether you cared for the show or not, but rather the idea that someone's work can be invalidated and dismissed. All of those people who worked on the original show, set desginers, modelers, fx engineers, artists, are all basically being told that their work was no good, even for its time. According to the list, they're not simply making minor changes, but replacing large amounts of fx shots, music, ship models, art, and more.

I just can't help to think why can't they just leave well enough alone? Has the hollywood machine run so completely out of new ideas these days?

Trolllord Games

Convention Coordinator

Executive Director - TrollCon, Winter Dark
[email protected]

------------------------------------------

ALEA IACTA EST - THE DIE IS CAST

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Doesnt bother me, but Im one of the blasphemous few that actually preferred TNG to ToS.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

huds0n wrote:
Has nothing to do whether you cared for the show or not, but rather the idea that someone's work can be invalidated and dismissed. All of those people who worked on the original show, set desginers, modelers, fx engineers, artists, are all basically being told that their work was no good, even for its time. According to the list, they're not simply making minor changes, but replacing large amounts of fx shots, music, ship models, art, and more.

I just can't help to think why can't they just leave well enough alone? Has the hollywood machine run so completely out of new ideas these days?

Dont get your panties in a wad, chieftain. Those guys are mostly dead anyhow by now. If they want I give them permission to turn over in their graves.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I don't mind digital remastering, but I'm skeptical about digital overlays or replacements. They could very well completely ruin the whole production.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

It really doesn't bother me. Course I liked the Star Wars prequels, didn't mind the Hills Have Eyes remake and so on. I tend not to worry about things like that by using my hard and fast rule on anything of possible entertaining value:

If I was entertained for X amount of time then I don't worry much about the particulars.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Being a Trek fan, I don't care either way. For one, TOS is just outdated for me, but to up date part of the show while leaving the corny doalogue and acting, just doesn't cut the mustard. It'l like putting a new pait job on an car that doesn't run. Looks good on the outside, but... well you know.

The few episodes of TOS that I treasure will never change in my mind.

........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Is nothing sacred?

Post by gideon_thorne »

huds0n wrote:
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060831a.php

Does anyone else have a problem with this like i do? I mean seriously, i don't have a problem with full blown remakes. But to go in and "update" someone elses work like that. It would be akin to someone coming in and "updating" all of Peter's artwork that he's done for TLG.

If it's as tastefully done as they did the original Star Wars, I dont see much of a problem honestly?

And chances are, one day, when im old and grey and cant see straight from all the lap dances anymore, chances are someone will come along and 'update' my artwork for C&C.

Then there will be half a million web posts about the 'old schoolness' of my C&C work and people trying to work out what colour underwear I was wearing and what sort of mood I was in when doing a given bit.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

As long as its not like a Star Wars remake, I think it can do nothing but improve the show, at least... to a modern audience. If they can attract new people who've been mostly exposed to The Next Generation, DSN, Voyager, Enterprise and whatever the hell else there is, then the original show has more potential to thrive. In some ways, what these guys are doing is the same thing (or related) to what C&C has done.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

gideon_thorne wrote:
huds0n wrote:
Then there will be half a million web posts about the 'old schoolness' of my C&C work and people trying to work out what colour underwear I was wearing and what sort of mood I was in when doing a given bit.

Pete, I love you like a retarded second cousin, bro, but if anyone ever catches me wondering what underwear you have on then I give them express written permission to put me out of my misery QUICKLY.
-Genghis Khan

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Pete, I love you like a retarded second cousin, bro, but if anyone ever catches me wondering what underwear you have on then I give them express written permission to put me out of my misery QUICKLY.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I see nothing wrong with it, I will check these out if able.

Chugosh

Post by Chugosh »

I've been watching various incarnations of trek for a long time, and don't mind the twists they have had to put on the universe to keep them in the public eye. If this can make the producers some money, then the chances get better and better they'll come up with yet another permutation to show us, keeping the hopeful tomorrow alive and well in the face of the unpleasant now.

On the question of the origional art and effects being superceded by newfangled tech and so forth, I enjoy the transitory nature of art enough to appreciate both renditions. I don't think it's a rip off; more an homage to the guys who worked miracles to bring us the vision back in the day.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

i think I will like what they are doing. I don't see it as insulting the old series, just doing a house cleaning and clean up type of deal. If they were changing the sotry episodes and giving the actors voice overs by new actors, then I would be angry.

But cleaning up and remastering the sound, digitally cleaning up the film, a nice crisp Enterprise, an updated opening theme song with a better singer, all sounds good to me. Hope I catch the premieres.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

andakitty

Post by andakitty »

Thanks for the heads-up. I have mixed feelings. It seems like part of the charm of the show was the crude effects, but I have watched the episodes many a time wondering what the show would look like with updated effects...now I get to find out. I'll definitely give it a look.