Will TLG be at CoastCon?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Indigo Rose
Red Cap

Will TLG be at CoastCon?

Post by Indigo Rose »

I apologize if this has already been addressed elsewhere (I only went back about six pages in the forum to look), but Sieg and I are strongly planning to be at CoastCon next month and their merchants link has nobody listed at all! Will the Trolls have a presence there in any form? And is anyone here planning on being there? Just wondering...

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Will TLG be at CoastCon?

Post by gideon_thorne »

They keep sending me invites. But right now its a major logistical nightmare for me to arrange a trip that far south. I had to pull back on a lot of distant cons actually.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

huds0n
Red Cap

Re: Will TLG be at CoastCon?

Post by huds0n »

gideon_thorne wrote:
They keep sending me invites. But right now its a major logistical nightmare for me to arrange a trip that far south. I had to pull back on a lot of distant cons actually.

March is already full for the Trolls as far as Cons go. We have GaryCon at the first of the Month, then we have 2 Cons on the same weekend on the 21st, one in IL, and the other in Memphis TN.

Trolllord Games

Convention Coordinator

Executive Director - TrollCon, Winter Dark
[email protected]

------------------------------------------

ALEA IACTA EST - THE DIE IS CAST

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Coastcon?

Let me guess, that would be on the east side of Texas. Nope. I won't be going. Heck, even if it was on this side I seriously doubt I could go.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

sieg

Post by sieg »

Yeah, its in Biloxi, Mississippi...
In fact, I must admit I'm partly going out of nostalgia. The last CoastCon I went to was in 1984 so this is a 25 yr reunion of sorts. That, and at least according to their website its going to be more like an Old School sort of Con.

What do I mean? Most of the cons I see advertised nowadays seem to have a dealer room, open gaming, a couple of scheduled games and that's it. The older cons had stuff like auctions, art shows, seminars, video rooms, filking, dances, costume contests and whatnot.

That, and this year CoastCon will be sharing the facilities with a Cheerleader Convention.

I'm NOT kidding.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

sieg wrote:
The older cons had stuff like auctions, art shows, seminars, video rooms, filking, dances, costume contests and whatnot.

Every con I go to has all of the above. Course, most of the ones I go to have been around a decade or more.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

sieg

Post by sieg »

Care to name a few?

Not anything on the West Coast, as that's too far to travel on our budget.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

sieg wrote:
Care to name a few?

Not anything on the West Coast, as that's too far to travel on our budget.

Conestoga (Tulsa in April) Soonercon (OKC in June) Archon (St Louis) Con DFW (Next weekend in Dallas) DefCon (also in Tulsa) VisionCon (Springfield MO in January) Conquest (Kansas City in May) and that's just the ones I can throw a rock at and hit from my house. ^_~`

Peter Bradley

sieg

Post by sieg »

Ok, I just got off the Con DFW site and while there's a lot of seminar for writers and authors there's noth much else going on I could tell. Other than the MST3K thing at Fri night no video room either.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

sieg wrote:
Ok, I just got off the Con DFW site and while there's a lot of seminar for writers and authors there's noth much else going on I could tell. Other than the MST3K thing at Fri night no video room either.

Well, trust me, all that stuff is going on at ConDFW and the others. I know 90% of the guest list personally.

Peter Bradley

sieg

Post by sieg »

Saw an art show but no costume contest (though some workshops)

Gaming is rather vague with a list of possible games but no details or signup. But I suppose its nice to know there's some open gaming.

No dance, but that's ok... I imagine we'll be there for Saturday anyway but its not quite up to the level of the old style Dallas Fantasy Faires. That being said, if one was predominantly a SciFi novel fan and/or a writer this would be custom made for you, as about 80% or so of the seminars are on writing with the balance being either art or costuming.

But no video. No costume contest. No hospitality room (that I can find); etc. Still looks good, but not quite up to the old standards IMO.

I'll have to check the others you listed...

sieg

Post by sieg »

Ah, posted that before I saw your reply. Odd though that they wouldn't advertise such...

Oh well, we'll probably be there for Sat. at least. I want to attend the "Steampunk" writing and costume seminars.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Well, not every con lists everything that's available. But I've been attending the others I listed for years, and trust me, tis all there.

Peter Bradley

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Yeah, cause, you know, the first thing I wanna do when I go to a con is pile into a room with "con BO" and dance... yep. That sounds like a winning event to me. Mmm hmm.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

serleran wrote:
Yeah, cause, you know, the first thing I wanna do when I go to a con is pile into a room with "con BO" and dance... yep. That sounds like a winning event to me. Mmm hmm.

Well, I guess if sexy girls in fishnets is not your thing, I could see why you'd want to pass at a con dance.

Peter Bradley

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Depends -- is fishnet all they have on?

sieg

Post by sieg »

Well, CoastCon IS being held next to a Cheerleader convention....

...I'm just sayin.
Mike

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

See, now we're talking Mike. Gimme an... oh, never mind, just gimme!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

sieg wrote:
Well, CoastCon IS being held next to a Cheerleader convention....

...I'm just sayin.
Mike

*chuckles* I think the most fun me and my fellow con attendee's had was at an event at Little Rock a number of years ago called RockCon. The same weekend was a mix of ministers' meetings and some sort of spiritual revival down the road at the large arena.

Suffice it to say that the baiting going on was epic fun. Especially once the VLARP and the evening costume events started.

Peter Bradley