Question for those that play online/via skype etc.

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
shadoes
Hlobane Orc

Question for those that play online/via skype etc.

Post by shadoes »

If you had your perfect virtual tabletop software. What would it allow you to do?

as a project in learning a new programming language I am seriously considering building some virtual tabletop software. I have not been completely happy with those I have tried. And it will get me into the language and hopefully give me a useful product in the end. I have to get into this for work but might as well build something I want to facilitate learning
But I also would like some opinions of features others who use such software would like to see. So right now this is the Blue Sky ask for anything phase.

Let me hear your opinions.

The plan is to make this as system independent as possible. Right now I play CnC and D6 Star wars so need something to handle both easily.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Our group played "online" from 2002 until the end of 2006 which was the last game we've run. We started with OpenRPG and I even though some time and effort into bug squishing for that project at the time. However Latency issues in the chat server made us walk away from in in 2004 at version 1.5.2. We rolled our own with an IRC server + a perl bot + cgi page using Imagemagick to control the mini's... That worked out fine. What we liked was having the Chat log to post after the game [warts and all]. It is nice to be able to review everything that was said. Color coded for players is a nice feature. Otherwise the latency and small foot print of software was my biggest issue. I played with a Apple Pismo 400mhz laptop late at night so I really was limited on computing power. Multiplatform and low cpu requirements will always go far [with me].

Those are my rambling thoughts on the matter. Good luck with your project.

-Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

The group I game with (Treebore, Rhu, nwelte, et al) exclusively use RPToools Maptools for our map and minis and Skype for our voice chat. We are extremely happy with both systems, however, I'd like to see both systems merged so our mapping tool and voice chat would run on one program.

I know, I'm not asking for much, just a mapping tool and voice chat all rolled up into one.
R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

shadoes
Hlobane Orc

Post by shadoes »

Well this is what I am wondering. I realize that people have things they are quite happy with. But I am asking that if you had your perfect tool what would it do Can't promise everything but want to see what others would like in a virtual tabletop