So, how long have you been playing C&C?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

So, how long have you been playing C&C?

Post by Tadhg »

OK, I'm wondering how long y'all have been playing Castles & Crusades, so here's a poll to see.

Me, going on 4 years in December starting with the C&C Boxed Set and The Rising Knight.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

I've just been at it for a coupla years (always late to the prom ). But since I found C&C, its taken over my game table with occasional excursions for other games.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I started in March of this year. Discovered C&C while reading articles after Gary Gygax passed away. I had lost interest in RPGing with 3.0, and am ecstatic about finding a RPG which gives me the fun and thrills I had in high school with AD&D. I am sorry that my discovery happened only because of Gary's passing, though.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I started playing C&C right when I joined this forum, so that'd put it at a little over 2 years it looks like.

It's not the only game I play, but it is one of the spiffiest.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Since before it was published.

Kingwilly

Post by Kingwilly »

I've been playing the various incarnations of DnD for years, but when the 4th Ed. trash came out I abandoned it. I just bought all the printed material and I'm starting up a game in my area.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Slightly over two years now... and I haven't looked back. Well, that's not *exactly* true. I have looked back at my older AD&D material to use with C&C!
M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Morgrus

Post by Morgrus »

Kingwilly wrote:
I've been playing the various incarnations of DnD for years, but when the 4th Ed. trash came out I abandoned it. I just bought all the printed material and I'm starting up a game in my area.
to the crusade.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I went with the 3-4 year choice, but I might be wrong on the time frame (it may be longer). I found C&C while working on a conversion of AD&D 2e that used a d20 resolution system and decided to check it out. I haven't played or ran anything else since then.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

goatface

Post by goatface »

Less than a month now.

I burned out on 3E, then bought the 4E core books, but decided it wasn't for me. I thought about going back to 1E (the edition I started with), but some of the mechanics in the system turned me off (specifically, Thief Abilities).

I started reading about Castle & Crusades, downloaded the quick-start rules, and gave it a shot. It gives me the 1E feel that I love, but uses the basic 3E mechanics that I enjoy. Plus, it's simple and flexible enough that I can use any 1E, 2E, or 3E sources that I want with minimal conversion.

Jackal
Ulthal

Post by Jackal »

serleran wrote:
Since before it was published.

Same here. I came along mid-way (or perhaps a bit later) during the playtesting and have been playing since.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Kingwilly wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

I picked up the C&C PHB a little over a year ago, but haven't logged any playing time until earlier this year...
moriarty777 wrote:
... and I haven't looked back. Well, that's not *exactly* true. I have looked back at my older AD&D material to use with C&C!

Well, that's almost true for me, too. I started a SWRPG game recently, waiting to get the ball rolling with a C&C campaign - just passing some time until the real game begins
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Been about eighteen months; I'm not going to repeat in detail the story oft told on these boards, but my brothers and I joined up - through Rigon's kind auspices - after a disastrous 3.5 experience (post-traumatic stress disorder convulsions).

The last year and a half has marked a serious turning point for us; yes, prior to that, we were gamers who had never, ever lost a PC, no matter what the odds (when I was fifteen, and my brothers ten and nine, our house "rule" was that the bad guys, well...kinda hadda roll three hits in a row before they really hit, and the good guys, well...kinda hadda roll three misses in a row before we'd reluctantly conclude that they'd fobbed that one). Since we started with C&C, I've lost four PCs - two clerics and two wizards - not through bad play, specifically, but more through just unbelievably bad die roll streaks; I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what that's all about. It's given our games a serious edge that make every encounter something to really think about rather than just (mechanical monotone) fighters-charge-in-spellcasters-stay-at-back-clerics-heal-me-heal-me-heal-me. From what I've heard, anyway, I don't know if any of that sort of dramatic tension would be really possible in 4e.

So, once again, let's raise the glasses to the Crusade: you guys have given a new lease to the fantasy role-playing game, and I write in the hope and the certainty that it's going to do nothing but continue to grow and prosper for years to come.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Not long enough it seems. I have had the books just about a year and have been playing for I'd say about 8 months.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Since just before the Collector's White Box Set was released, by about a month or so. During C&C's development I kept screaming to the community that TLG is going with a great concept and running with it. It was exciting to watch naysayers poo-poo the project, and the developers actually get their ideas together. You just knew this project was going to be special.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Not quite 3 years of C&C gaming under my belt. I was late to the party but am enjoying the cake and ice cream very much.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Breakdaddy wrote:
enjoying the cake and ice cream very much.

Mmmmmmm.....ice cream.

*@%$ the cake though. Cake thinks it's sh%@ don't stink just because people use it for birthdays, weddings, anniversaries and other celebrations.

*@%$ you cake. You aint special.

Me and mine celebrate with pie.

Pie, now that's a delicious baked yummy.

Stupid cake.

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Since it was in an embryonic stage. Way back before the SIEGE Engine was even a sparkle in anyone's eye.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

I'm guessing it's been 4-5 years. I remember talking to Steve about it at the first Gamefest Milwaukee in 2003 (I think?). We did test run a couple of things with Gary for something (CZ probably).

Anyway, it's been fun so far!!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

DangerDwarf wrote:
Mmmmmmm.....ice cream.

*@%$ the cake though. Cake thinks it's sh%@ don't stink just because people use it for birthdays, weddings, anniversaries and other celebrations.

*@%$ you cake. You aint special.

Me and mine celebrate with pie.

Pie, now that's a delicious baked yummy.

Stupid cake.

Delicious coconut cream pie....mMMMMMmmMmMMmmmmm....
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I found out about C&C right around the time my late wife Mary got sick, March 2005. The source was none other than Gary Gygax, but Peter Bradley and others helped me learn about it and love it immediately. I was able to play with my wife once before she passed (our second-ever gaming session) and it was nice to play a more freeform game with her, as she'd only ever played 3/3.5E D&D. If anyone is interested, I posted my details about the first game here:
http://www.freeyabb.com/trolllordgames/ ... llordgames

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm not positive, but I believe my first session was July 15, 2007.

I came to C&C via internet searches to see what Gary was up to. I was thinking about running a 1E session for my dad as a Father's Day present last year (he introduced me to AD&D back in the late 70s). I was bored at work and thinking about running a 1E session led me to do an internet search on Gary. That led me to info about Dangerous (or was that Danjerous?) Journeys which led me to Lejendary Adventures which led me to the TLG site and C&C.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

I voted for "haven't played yet" although that isn't exactly correct. I did CK once and loved it. However, I'm knee-deep in a 3.5 campaign at the moment and don't want to push the conversion.

I've been interested in C&C for quite some time now and finally got the books at the last $10 sale.

Baron of the Pitt
Castles & Crusades Society
The Dungeoneering Dad

Luther

Post by Luther »

Around the end of May I happened upon the 'preview' copies of 4e. I'd been GMing WFRP 2e for over 2 years and was looking for some high fantasy for a change of pace and I wanted to see if I got the same vibe I did when they released 3e. Did they really streamline it as much as they said they were? Were they really going for the classic D&D feel?

I found quite the opposite and had to ask myself what it was I was really looking for. My answer was 'simplicity and fun.' 3e would have been perfect if it weren't for all those bloody rules, the page long statblocks and the hours of design needed just to create a single NPC. I thought about going back to the source, 1e or BD&D/LL, but I didn't want the negative ACs, Thac0, race classes, different rules for every situation, etc. Then I stumbled upon C&C and have never looked back. The best of 0e, 1e and 3e all wrapped into a single package!

My problem is I'm older, own my own business and my wife and I are looking to start a family, so my free time is limited. I don't have the time to play a ton of different games (I can't see switching between 1e, 3.5e, LL, BD&D and C&C like some folks on this board do), especially games that take forever to write material for. C&C allows me to write an adventure in little to no time and to wing stuff freely without having to flip through my rulebook every 5 minutes and it is the only game, IMO, that quaifies as the true successer to 0e D&D and the roots of RP, and I tell everyone that...

Matthew
Unkbartig

Post by Matthew »

I have either never played Castles & Crusades or I have been playing it since the early nineties. I can't really decide.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after ones own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)

Indigo Rose
Red Cap

Post by Indigo Rose »

Sieg and I were with the original playtesters way back when... and I was a stauch advocate for Fiffergrund and the d12! A vote for Fiffergrund is a vote for d12! Vote early and vote often.

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Indigo Rose wrote:
Sieg and I were with the original playtesters way back when... and I was a stauch advocate for Fiffergrund and the d12! A vote for Fiffergrund is a vote for d12! Vote early and vote often.

Hear hear! I believe that d12 has a presence too. That just serves as a lesson to all that every voice matters!

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society