Life choices

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Rigon
Clang lives!

Life choices

Post by Rigon »

So, I've applied for an Emotional Support Aide position at my wife's school. I haven't heard anything back from them yet, but I know they haven't started setting up interviews yet. I'm fairly sure that I'll get an interview and I know I'm more than qualified for the job (6 years working with emotionally disturber children). It is only a part time position (25 hours per week), but it is guaranteed hours, whereas my current job relies on the client being available and sometimes I don't work full hours in a week. Also, a good friend just got hired as the head of the Special Ed program for the district. So fingers are crossed. I'll also continue in my present job part time (15-20 hours per week) to help make ends meet.

Furthermore, I am in the process of deciding if I want to go back to school to finish my teaching degree (Secondary Ed: English). It looks like I only have to do the Field requirements (student teaching for 16 weeks) afterwards I plan to qualify to teach History/Social Studies, but money is a major issue, as I'll not be able to work full time for that period. But it will open numerous doors for me in the future and I really need to decide what I want to do with my life before I get too much older.

So this is a frightening and exciting period in my life and I thought I'd share it with you all. Wish ne luck.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Good luck. I ran away from teaching, so good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Good luck with your future endeavors! Having more education is never a bad thing!!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

Good luck to you, I hope you get the job.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Wishing implies lack of confidence, so, go and get that job. No need to wish for it -- you want it, and it shall be yours. Make it so, #1.

angelius
Lore Drake

Post by angelius »

I dont think that fear ever goes away to be honest. Even after you secure that great job etc. You're always wondering what you can do next.

In my mind, this sounds nuts but enjoy this time of your life! You may never have the opportunity to make such a choice like this again. Life is about freedoms, the sad thing is that the older you get, the less you seem to earn.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Good Luck, good sir! I'll keep your fingers crossed for you!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

Good luck. I am a secondary English teacher of 16 years, and it has been beyond rewarding for me. I hope it is as rewarding for you.

Visit magehammer's Keep on the Weblands at http://magehammer.googlepages.com

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Best of luck good sir. I hope everything works out well for you.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Exciting times for sure, Rigon. Best of luck and . . enjoy!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Good luck!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

So I got the call this afternoon for my interview. I go in on Monday afternoon to meet with the schools Principal and Head of Special Education. The Principal knows me fairly well, knows that I do a great job of working with behavioral children and general children (my wife makes me spend a lot of time at school helping her with Drama Club and chaperoning) and knows that I work well with kids. The Head of Special Ed is a good friend of mine whom I spend vacation with and see on a regular bases (I play cards with her husban and we get together often for diner and games). So everything is looking good so far. I'll post again after the interview and let everyone know how it went. Exciting times.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Well, I had the interview. It went well, as far as I could tell. They still have some interviews on Thursday, so I won't hear anything until Friday or Monday. Fingers are still crossed.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Here's to hoping that you redeploy to the new gig and enjoy the hell out of it, cochise.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

R, whatever life-path you roll up, all the best dude. Keep on keepin' on. I'm crossin me fingers for ya.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Best of luck! I know the feelings that go with making a serious change in life. I went back to school a couple of years ago to study accounting. Previously I was a music major studying classical guitar, and left school just shy of graduating. I was about 13 credits away from my degree, got fed up with the music faculty (mainly my pig-headed instructor; they got rid of the awesome, world class instructor who used to teach in favor of some egotistical Julliard jack ass who wasn't nearly as good as his pedigree would have you believe), worked some odd jobs for a while, met my wife and decided "Hey, I don't want to do manual labor or retail for the rest of my life, and I'd like to make a decent living." Now here I am on the verge of going for my Masters Degree in accounting. It's made all the difference in my life. So here's to ya!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Rigon wrote:
Well, I had the interview. It went well, as far as I could tell. They still have some interviews on Thursday, so I won't hear anything until Friday or Monday. Fingers are still crossed.

R-

Very good. Another step closer.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Thanks everyone for the support. It is much appritiated.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Well, I got the call Friday afternoon. I am now the morning ES Aide for my wife's school. I will be working from 745 am to 1245 pm, every day starting Tues day next week. Thanks everyone for your well wishes and support.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

congrats!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Hot Dog!! Congrats, me messmate!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Way to go, Rigon!!

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Congrats and all dats!

Catweazle
Red Cap

Post by Catweazle »

That's fantastic, Rigon. The kids at that school are very lucky to get someone who sees education as a vocation.

goatface
Skobbit

Post by goatface »

Congratulations!

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Writing for myself and my brothers, Rigon (and we wouldn't be here without your support! ), I pass all congratulations on to you, and the conviction that you've started down a path that's going to be enormously rewarding. And that applies to you and and the students you're working with. All best.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Congrats & good luck!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

So today was the first day with students. It was an ok day, as all of them had just come up from the elementary school and were in a bit of a daze. I figure it will take them a couple of days to a week to get their legs under them (so to speak), and then watch out. I already have one picked out as the trouble maker and will keep a close eye on him. Also, I have a brand new, first time teacher right out of college and had to keep reassuring her that she was doing fine today. I'm sure she'll do fine once we really get into the school year, but what i wouldn't give to have an established teacher with a few years under her belt.

I also wanted to say thanks for all the support. That is one of the reasons I love C&C, you all are a great bunch of weirdos to shot the shatner with.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Keep in mind Rigon, that other doors aren't closed to you now either.

I worked for a long time in a 'community helpy' occupation, and when I lost my job, I felt...well...less than steller about life.

I had to really look at reality, and decide to go back to finish my teaching degree -which I'm currently doing.

It was a tough decision, and one I made by thinking: if I only had me to rely upon, could I create an o.k. life for myself?

Well, since then my life has turned upside down, and people I thought would be in my life forever are no longer...

...and I find myself having no idea what the future will bring.

That said, I obviously made the right decision.

So congrats, and know that doors are always open.

Barrataria
Red Cap

Post by Barrataria »

Rigon wrote:
So today was the first day with students. It was an ok day, as all of them had just come up from the elementary school and were in a bit of a daze. I figure it will take them a couple of days to a week to get their legs under them (so to speak), and then watch out. I already have one picked out as the trouble maker and will keep a close eye on him. Also, I have a brand new, first time teacher right out of college and had to keep reassuring her that she was doing fine today. I'm sure she'll do fine once we really get into the school year, but what i wouldn't give to have an established teacher with a few years under her belt.

I also wanted to say thanks for all the support. That is one of the reasons I love C&C, you all are a great bunch of weirdos to shot the shatner with.

R-

Congratulations on getting what you wanted, and for surviving the first day of school!