New Gord the Rogue By Gary Gygax available now!

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
KRBourgoine

New Gord the Rogue By Gary Gygax available now!

Post by KRBourgoine »

I was just alerted that this had been announced. As a gamer it was one of the greatest pleasures of my life to work with Gary. In this story you have one of our final collaborations. After the first short story we did, Gary wanted to add Chert as Gord's companion to the next one and this was the result, it is high adventure in the City of Greyhawk with magical duels, beautiful women, and plenty of chaos.

I hope you enjoy it.

Here is the release from the publisher:
Quote:
Of Dice & Pen Available To Order From Flying Pen Press

Anthology includes the final Gord the Rogue story by E. Gary Gygax

DENVER Flying Pen Press announced the ordering availability of Of Dice & Pen, edited by Fred Poutre.

An anthology of science fiction and fantasy stories by noted game developers, Of Dice & Pen features the final Gord the Rogue story by Gary Gygax and K.R. Bourgoine. Gary Gygax was the creator of Dungeons and Dragons and often referred to as the "Father of Role-Playing". His many accomplishments include founding both the game company TSR, Inc. and the renowned GenCon gaming convention. Although Gygax passed away earlier this year, he left us with a fast-paced tale written with co-author K.R. Bourgoine in which Gord and Chert find themselves in trouble between a beautiful lady and an angry wizard.

This anthology shares visions beyond the gaming table from the macabre to the humorous. Rick Loomis, the founder and president of Flying Buffalo, Inc., spins a tale of young hero who finds out that perhaps the adventures he wished for were not exactly as he expected. Chief Creative Officer Andrew Looney of Looney Labs writes of dreams and their meanings on a lovely beach. Visit a dusty tavern in Elizabeth Danforth's tale of drunkenness, an imp, and unexpected magic. And Origins award-winner Matt Forbeck's story of supernaturals locked in battle with zombies races to a startling conclusion.

Editor Fred Poutre is a game designer for Cloven Fruit Games and one of the authors of the new setting AfterWorlds for the HARP SF gaming system, available from Iron Crown Enterprises. He is also a tutor for GEAR UP, a college preparatory program in Laramie County, Wyoming.

Flying Pen Press is a publisher of fiction and nonfiction books. It is located in Denver, Colorado and operates from virtual offices all over the world. The company's website is FlyingPenPress.com.

Of Dice & Pen edited by Fred Poutre

Science Fiction

Published by Flying Pen Press under the imprint Game Day Fiction

ISBN 978-0-9818957-2-7, Trade paperback, $17.95.

356 pages.

5.5" x 8.5" x 0.74", 0.999 lb.

Flying Pen Press catalog number GAM-F-00002

I do know this will also be on sale in the booth next to mine at Gencon.

Thanks KR

Check out the Adventurer Card Game, along with 2 new expansions

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Re: New Gord the Rogue By Gary Gygax available now!

Post by Zudrak »

KRBourgoine wrote:
I was just alerted that this had been announced. As a gamer it was one of the greatest pleasures of my life to work with Gary. In this story you have one of our final collaborations. After the first short story we did, Gary wanted to add Chert as Gord's companion to the next one and this was the result, it is high adventure in the City of Greyhawk with magical duels, beautiful women, and plenty of chaos.

I hope you enjoy it.

Here is the release from the publisher:

I do know this will also be on sale in the booth next to mine at Gencon.

Thanks KR

Thanks for posting that! Any idea when/where we can purchase online or via retail outlets? I'd like to get mine from my FLGS, if possible.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

Zudrak, I have no idea about that, but I will point Fred to this thread and hopefully he can give you some good news.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

KRBourgoine wrote:
Zudrak, I have no idea about that, but I will point Fred to this thread and hopefully he can give you some good news.

Thanks x2!

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

Just ordered mine on Amazon.

I can't wait to read it.

Any word on when the rest of his Gord books will be reprinted?

I love having Saga of Old City in hardcover and am jonesing for more.

Visit magehammer's Keep on the Weblands at http://magehammer.googlepages.com

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

magehammer wrote:
Just ordered mine on Amazon.

I can't wait to read it.

Any word on when the rest of his Gord books will be reprinted?

I love having Saga of Old City in hardcover and am jonesing for more.

I dont know about the reprints of the original stories.

I do know that there are a couple more short stories for Gord we had in the works as well as the major portion of a full new Gord novel. Time will tell if those see print.

KR

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

Awesome!!!!
I loved the whole series. Even when he blew up the world. It was still a great ride. I will grab up anything Gord, that's for sure.

I also have your Adventurer expansions in my PayPal sights soon.

Thanks for making games and stories.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Very cool, KR.

I'm reading Saga of the Old City . . to be followed by the rest of the books, including Dragon #344.

Well done!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

Rhuvein wrote:
Very cool, KR.

I'm reading Saga of the Old City . . to be followed by the rest of the books, including Dragon #344.

Well done!

Dragon #344 and this story both follow right after Saga of the Old City and before the rest of the books.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

KRBourgoine wrote:
Dragon #344 and this story both follow right after Saga of the Old City and before the rest of the books.

Whoa, very interesting. Should I read them in chronicle order then, instead of current release date order?

Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

Rhuvein wrote:
Whoa, very interesting. Should I read them in chronicle order then, instead of current release date order?

I suggest chronicle order rather than release, but as long as you enjoy yourself reading them who am I to say?

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

KRBourgoine wrote:

Zudrak, here is what Fred sent me.
Quote:
"Thanks for posting that! Any idea when/where we can purchase online or via retail outlets? I'd like to get mine from my FLGS, if possible."

The Flying Pen Press website is having troubles, however the myspace page for FPP is functional, and it can be bought from there.
http://flyingpenpress.com/
http://www.myspace.com/flyingpenpress

Amazon and Amazon.ca should have it.

Will be available to the trade through Ingram, Baker & Taylor, and Diamond.

Which means the FLGS can order it. We will be talking with distribution companies at GenCon, so that might make it easier for the FLGS to receive it.

ISBN 978-0-9818957-2-7, trade paperback, $17.95.

Failing anything else anyone is welcome to email me. [email protected]

Thanks

Fred Poutre

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

KRBourgoine wrote:
Zudrak, here is what Fred sent me.

Great!!! I will sign into MySpace tonight and make my order. Many thanks, KR!

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

-- E. Gary Gygax

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

No, thank you. Gary was quite pleased with what we had done, so I hope you enjoy the story as much as we do.

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

Can't find it on Amazon.ca yet. And searching on the FPP site didn't work either, as you said. :/

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

Thoom wrote:
Can't find it on Amazon.ca yet. And searching on the FPP site didn't work either, as you said. :/

Ill Point Fred back to this thread to see if he has answers for you.

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

Quote:
The myspace page, http://www.myspace.com/flyingpenpress ,will have it up on the 12th, the release date is the 11th.

Thanks

Fred Poutre

Cloven Fruit Games

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

Quote:
The myspace page now has "Of Dice and Pen" ready for selling.

Thanks

Fred Poutre

Cloven Fruit Games

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

KRBourgoine wrote:

Awesome. It's been added to my cart and I will buy it after Pay Day. Sweet.

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

-- E. Gary Gygax

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

UPS brought mine today from Amazon.

It is a good looking book with a nice array of stories.

I am in the middle of Ed Greenwood's Dark Warrior Rising novel, so I won't start Of Dice and Pen until I finish it, but I cannot wait to dive into that Gord story!!!!

I am also looking forward to the story by Forbeck and another by Danforth.

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

Anybody get a chance to read the story yet? Im curious as to what people think of it.

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

I loved it. It was reminiscent of the stories in Night Arrant.

The mirror trap was great, and the story felt so new and so comfortably old all at the same time.

Nice work.

Any chance you will be continuing Gary's legacy with new adventures of Gord and Chert?

KRBourgoine

Post by KRBourgoine »

magehammer wrote:
I loved it. It was reminiscent of the stories in Night Arrant.

The mirror trap was great, and the story felt so new and so comfortably old all at the same time.

Nice work.

Any chance you will be continuing Gary's legacy with new adventures of Gord and Chert?

Thank you very much, sir.

That was the thought with the stories, to add more the the Night Arrant line. We did have (do have) a bunch of other stories outlined for Gord. At the time of his passing we were about 30% done a new Gord the

Rogue novel that would take place right after Saga of the Old City. At the moment though I am unsure of what will become of it or any of the other stories.

Hopefully I will get to return to Gord and continue the adventure.

The mirror was something from one of my old modules. Fortunately Gary and I have very similar DM'ing styles. To quote Luke Gygax, "Someone being duped, lots of traps, deadly encounters, no treasure and teleporting around."

Want to come over for a game?
Kerry

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

As soon as I learn how to teleport, I will be right over.