10,000 B.C...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

10,000 B.C...

Post by slimykuotoan »

...was perhaps the stupidest movie I have seen in the last few years.

By the gods, that was simply ridiculous.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: 10,000 B.C...

Post by gideon_thorne »

I dunno. Thought it was pretty cool myself. Lots of low tech ideas for a game plot in there.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

My wife rented it for our vacation this week. So I will give an update when I see it. Warning, I like bad movies as long as Jerry Bruckheimer is not inolved. I know if i see bruckheimer name, its a crapfest.

Mike Frank
Red Cap

Post by Mike Frank »

It's cheesy, but I liked that movie!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Plot, storyline, acting = garbage. SFX, and setting... lots if inspiration for a good ole' C&C game.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

froglegg
Ungern

Post by froglegg »

Omote wrote:
Plot, storyline, acting = garbage. SFX, and setting... lots if inspiration for a good ole' C&C game.

-O

100% right on this one

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I could not watch more than about 30 minutes before I was bored. I dunno, I guess most movies these days are just blah to me.

Thegreenman
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thegreenman »

For my money 10,000 BC was just Apocalypto in a different setting. I actually saw the two movies within a week of each other, which reinforced the similarities.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
Omote wrote:

-O

100% right on this one

I agree on that!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Thegreenman wrote:
For my money 10,000 BC was just Apocalypto in a different setting. I actually saw the two movies within a week of each other, which reinforced the similarities.

Speaking of Apocalypto, I thought that that movie looked really cool. Still not great, but better then 10,000 BC. More food for thought for ancient cultures in your C&C game though.

-O
VAE VICTUS!

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I tried to watch 10,000 BC, but gave up after I realized that half an hour into it, I still couldn't keep track of who the main character was unless someone else was calling him by name.

The mammoths in the beginning were cool, though.

Brutorz Bill
Red Cap

Post by Brutorz Bill »

From a gamer perspective it had some cool elements. As far as being a good movie....*Blah!*

aethelulf22
Ungern

Post by aethelulf22 »

I haven't seen it yet but I get the impression that whether you like it has a lot to do with expectation....those who approach it as a pulp film or Edgar Rice Burroughs sort of story seem to like it but those who expect it to have any historical truth to it...well, forget it. Despite being a history grad...I love pulp so I'm hoping it's good.

ShawnG
Ungern

Post by ShawnG »

it was ok, standard plot and storyline, good visuals, not an incredibly bad or stupid movie, just average.

Love, the setting though, I always dig the ancient and prehistoric stuff over the medieval (also a runequest fan)

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

I thought the movie was terrible. However, it seemed like the Stargate guys (these are the people that made the original Stargate, along with ID4, and other movies...NOT the SG series) were visiting their old roots that they had with their Star Gate movie, but telling it more from a Earth point of view in some ways, of how the Earth got free.

At least that's what it sort of seemed like to me. Still didn't like the movie though.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

It was ok, wife liked it way more than I did. As for Apocolypto they had me i mean REALLY had me with the movie till he gets shot with an arrow that completely pierces his body manages to run a half marathon in the hot filthy south american jungle WTF?

Yeah I just couldnt suspend my disbelief anymore. With 10,000 BC i knew it was all BS from the get go, so I didnt have that No Freakin Way complex that marred my enjoyment of what would have otherwise been a spectacular flick.

Peace

Case

Mike Frank
Red Cap

Post by Mike Frank »

Mike Frank wrote:
It's cheesy, but I liked that movie!

Scratch that. I thought you were talking about 1 million years B.C.

I only realized it when I walked by a redbox this morning.

I have not seen 10,000 B.C.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

OMG, this is the most coverage 10,000 B.C. has gotten to date. I'm sure of it!

-O
VAE VICTUS!

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

Ok, finally seen this. If you like cheeze, special effects and plot/storyline be damned; this movie is for you. (the axebeaks were cool) other than that, it wasnt that good. And, at the end when the mammoth hunters were turned to farmers---crap. I would give 2 out of 5 stars. If you dont see it, you are not missing anything.

aethelulf22
Ungern

Post by aethelulf22 »

Ok...just seen it. It was alright....not brilliant...but certainly entertaining in a Sat afternoon sort of way.

Definitely pulp...a touch of RE Howard in there with its suggestions of lost Atlantis and ancient but decaying and decadent civilizations contrasted with the simplicity of the barbarian and noble savage...if only the main character had been a bit more Conan-like and the tone a little less New Age hippy.

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

This movie was a complete waste of my time. Ick. I want two hours of my life back.

froglegg
Ungern

Post by froglegg »

Omote wrote:
Speaking of Apocalypto, I thought that that movie looked really cool. Still not great, but better then 10,000 BC. More food for thought for ancient cultures in your C&C game though.

-O

I liked Apocalypto better my self as well ........In 10,000 BC how the girl came back to life I mean come on ...........With no cleric in site!

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

aethelulf22 wrote:
Definitely pulp...a touch of RE Howard in there with its suggestions of lost Atlantis and ancient but decaying and decadent civilizations contrasted with the simplicity of the barbarian and noble savage

Hmm...just started to dip my toe into the whole RE Howard universe (along with Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar....soon as I'm done reading The War of Souls series). I might actually plop down the cash for the DVD set...
Quote:
...if only the main character had been a bit more Conan-like and the tone a little less New Age hippy.

Then again, maybe not. Ugh. New Age hippy in what way?

aethelulf22
Ungern

Post by aethelulf22 »

Conan the main guy is not, I'm afraid...far too conccerned with the welfare of others and no killer instinct. So although the movie has RE Howard elements the characters don't...and it would have been so much better if they did. I wouldn't recommend buying it before you see it...although I enjoyed it well enough in I'd-watch-it-on-tv-again sort of way the general consensus here, as you can see, is that it's a load of cr*p!

What you should check out are the Dark Horse Comics if you're a Howard fan esp as a new series is just starting. Also if you get a chance to read Howard's Solomon Kane stories they are up there with the best of the Conan ones.

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

Solomon Kane is the win. In some ways I actually prefer reading about him over Conan. That is until I just feel the overwhelming thirst for blood and dimemberment.