All Time Favorite RPG???

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Joe
Unkbartig

All Time Favorite RPG???

Post by Joe »

What is your all time favorite role playing game?

Why?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I guess I have to say C&C is my all time favorite. It also has to do with what genre you are talking about. For Sci Fi I love MegaTraveller. I also love Shadowrun. For a supers game I like Mutants and Masterminds 2E. For samurai's I love L5R 3E D10 version. I love "Go For Your Gun" for Westerns.

Why? Because the systems give me the "flavor" I want for those genre.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'd have to say my favorite is AD&D 2e. It's the system that I played the most when I first started to play and I have very fond memories of playing it. But C&C is starting to catch up.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Tank

Post by Tank »

I like Mentzer D&D, although it can be emulated with streamlined C&C rules for better performance in the 21st century.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Gamma World - its crazy. That's followed by Shadowrun.

jfall

Post by jfall »

Wow....funny, that's actually a really tough question. I suppose it would have to be AD&D (for the sheer sake that it was really the first and holds that special position in my memories.)

But following super closely on its heals would be Castles and Crusades and Shadowrun.

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.'

Lewis Carroll

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

2nd ed. Runequest or Moldvay Basic/Cook Expert D&D. Which is kind of silly considering how little I get to actually play or run them.

Currently in print: C&C or WFRP, though Savage Worlds is pretty good.
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

I guess I'll have to toss in with the old school crowd. Big surprise?

3.x coulda been a contender. As a player, aspects of it rocked. But I always go back to when, still learning the game, I was going to have my Fighter barrel through a bunch of goblins and pass them by, and the DM looked at me and said "How?". I went about starting to describe how the character was doing it and the DM stopped me. "No," he said, "What Feats do you have?" Brought me up short. He apologised and said that yeah, this was ridiculous, but by the RAW my character couldn't do it just because he was big and strong and the goblins weak and small.

Old school is indeed better.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

By far, Castles & Crusades, and I have played a lot of RPGs. I'm not just saying that because of this site, but C&C just did it for me. With it's classic style fantasy roleplaying, and the design elements to grant the ability to drop in new rules, was just breathtaking. C&C did everything I needed it to do for my games.

Hands down winner in my book.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

C&C closely followed by 1E.

I do have a very special place in my heart for Gamma World 3rd Edition, even though the rules set was broken.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

For Swords & Sorcery, C&C, followed by OAD&D and B/E D&D (Cook).

For Sci-Fi, Star Wars d6, Star Frontiers, and Gamma World.

Other faves are Twilight 2000 and Top Secret S.I.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

It wasn't my start, but it's where I have the most happy memories, so I'd go with AD&D 2e as well.

Of the current systems, even though I've really been enjoying Lejendary Adventures, it's gotta be C&C.
Rigon wrote:
I'd have to say my favorite is AD&D 2e. It's the system that I played the most when I first started to play and I have very fond memories of playing it. But C&C is starting to catch up.

R-

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

star frontiers..

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I like simple straight forward rules for easy set up, run and play:

C&C - ahead of:

OD&D

BD&D Holmes

B/X Mentzer

Star Frontiers

WHFRP

AD&D

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

TheNewGuy
Red Cap

Post by TheNewGuy »

Like Rhuvein, I'm a fan of simple, straightforward systems that can be added to as needed. I always find it easier to add to a simple game system, than to cut down a complex one.

Favorite game?
Classic Traveller by Marc Miller. You can find reprints from Miller available HERE, but Mongoose is releasing an updated version later this month (April `08). Don't know if it will be as good, but it's coming. Look HERE for information and free previews.

WoTC game developer James Maliszewski just released a very Classic Traveller-influenced SF rpg on PDF called Thousand Suns . which I also like quite a lot. It's a very stripped-down rules set, and encourages GMs to customize the mega-setting their way. On the downside, it has some annoying first-edition text errors, but errata is already being posted on the TS website.

For superheroes, it's still Villains and Vigilantes, 2nd edition . I like Mutants & Masterminds 2e better in theory, but it's pretty damn rules-heavy with all those supplements out now. V&V plays a lot faster for me.

For fantasy? I started out owning the red dragon painted-cover boxed set, but when I actually got to play, the group was all into the newly-released AD&D, so most of my fantasy rpg good memories are there.

My favorite, though? In all seriousness, I'm hoping it's Castles & Crusades. (My books still haven't arrived). C&C promises the same kind of streamlined simplicity which I liked in AD&D, but without the arbitrary or clunky additional rules mechanics which eventually put me off the game.

My favorite fantasy adventure supplement is, believe it or not, the Avalon Hill version of Griffin Island HERE. RuneQuest purists hate this "fantasy generic" version, but I've always loved the product. Go figure ...

Favorite D&D adventure? I like the original Slavelords series modules (later version HERE), but the original Giant series modules (later version HERE) were probably the most fun as a player.

Favorite D&D supplement? Likely The Book of the Righteous by Green Ronin, HERE. Fantasy deities done right; really, really right.

Good thread! I'm enjoying reading all the responses,

TheNewGuy

"But if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you"

Yamo

Post by Yamo »

The original AD&D, Fudge, Toon.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Fantasy RPG:

#1 C&C

#2 B/X (Moldvay/Cook) D&D

Runners-Up: Lejendary Adventures, 1e AD&D, BFRPG

Why? I like simplicity and elegence in rules that I have fun adjusting to my own games.

Sci-Fi/Other:

Star Frontiers & Gamma World

(REALLY looking forward to Star Siege Event Horizon)

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Toon rocks. So does Paranoia.

Damn, I sometimes forget how many awesome games there are.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: All Time Favorite RPG???

Post by gideon_thorne »

Joe wrote:
What is your all time favorite role playing game?

Why?

Fantasy Hero and Champions. Mostly due to the fact that they are the only systems I can do the most with via the least amount of redesign work.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Favorite RPG? The board name should be a dead giveaway. But tied with it is OD&D. Just like OD&D (woodgrain/white box for the folks who may not know), the Classic Traveller ruleset encourages the owner to make the game his own.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I bet this is like the Chicago Pizza vs New York Pizza, it's the one you grew up with that you love.

For me, it's 2nd ed AD&D.

I started playing right after 2nd ed came out and the people I started w/ were still making the swtich, so we had this mash up rule set at first, but of course all the stuff I started buying was 2nd ed and that's what I fell in love with.

Paranoia will always hold a very special place in my heart, and my friends and I enjoyed some Werewolf now and then.

I think my favorite would be 2nd ed AD&D with the Player's option rules, with the very few improvements 3e introduced... somthing like a cross between C&C and Hackmaster.... (not that those are like, polar opposites in terms of complexity).

That said, if I were to begin playing actively again, (havn't in years) it would be w/ C&C since I could hit the ground running and introduce new players easily, rather than spend a weekend re-learning AD&D first. You know?

I'm too wordy I know.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

TheNewGuy
Red Cap

Post by TheNewGuy »

Relaxo wrote:
I'm too wordy I know.

Relaxo, have you read any of my posts lately? I post as if I was getting paid by the word! Compared to me, you look like a mute, so don't worry!

If anybody bangs on you for lengthy posting, point at one of my usual "epics" and say, "Oh yeah? At least I'm not THAT GUY!!!"

Many people take comfort in not being me, I suspect, so you won't be lonely!
TheNewGuy

"But if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you"

danbuter
Hlobane Orc

Post by danbuter »

Call of Cthulhu. I love this game. I've run it more than anything.

Dan
http://home.comcast.net/~danbuter/candc.html - my Castles and Crusades webpage

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

TheNewGuy wrote:
Relaxo, have you read any of my posts lately? ((snip))

TheNewGuy

ROFLMAO!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

TheNewGuy wrote:
Relaxo, have you read any of my posts lately? I post as if I was getting paid by the word! Compared to me, you look like a mute, so don't worry!

If anybody bangs on you for lengthy posting, point at one of my usual "epics" and say, "Oh yeah? At least I'm not THAT GUY!!!"

Many people take comfort in not being me, I suspect, so you won't be lonely!
TheNewGuy

-2 points to TheNewGuy for not being verbose in that post.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

AD&D

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Relaxo wrote:
I bet this is like the Chicago Pizza vs New York Pizza, it's the one you grew up with that you love.

Nope. I grew up with 1E. Played 2E for over 10 years. Don't get me wrong, I love those editions, even OD&D, but C&C allows me to use every edition in the best and easiest way possible. So I can steal what I like best about each edition.

So I love C&C best because it allows me to use the best of each edition all under the proverbial "one roof".

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Treebore wrote:
Nope. I grew up with 1E. Played 2E for over 10 years. Don't get me wrong, I love those editions, even OD&D, but C&C allows me to use every edition in the best and easiest way possible. So I can steal what I like best about each edition.

So I love C&C best because it allows me to use the best of each edition all under the proverbial "one roof".

Quoted For Truth.

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

-- E. Gary Gygax

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

Lets see, in my life I've played Basic (Holmes) D&D, AD&D, Traveller (LBB's), Gamma World (1e), Top Secret, MERP, Lord of the Rings (Deciper), Conan (Mongoose Publishing), D&D 3.5, and C&C.

Nostalgia:

AD&D (it was my staple from 81-83, where I really learned to play)

Fantasy:

1. C&C (for today's play)

2. Conan

Sci-Fi

1. Traveller (LBB's)

2. Gamma World (remember Bunny-raiders???)

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Gamma World Rocked!