What's the deal with all the 1E fans...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: What's the deal with all the 1E fans...

Post by gideon_thorne »

bighara wrote:
I'm confused why someone would be so against a C&C game, but be OK with 1e

That goes to the heart of this thread. I'm confused myself. And have been so for several years. As Gary pointed out, they are pretty much the same game with the same spirit.

There has yet to be a single, logical, irrefutable reason why people wont play one over the other.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

gideon_thorne wrote:
That goes to the heart of this thread. I'm confused myself. And have been so for several years. As Gary pointed out, they are pretty much the same game with the same spirit.

There has yet to be a single, logical, irrefutable reason why people wont play one over the other.

I would sort of understand it if the player in question had shown some sign of being a fan of 1e, but usually he's more into horror RPGs like WoD and CoC. Usually he's not that into fantasy, so when he gave a humbs down to C&C, I thought it was a genre issue. But to come back with 1e as a possible alternate? That's odd to me.

EDIT: Here's his reply to my query: "I can't quite put my finger on it, but it has a feel that I don't like. It's like the silliness and oddities of 1e, without any of its charm. Probably not the most insightful answer."
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

bighara wrote:
I would sort of understand it if the player in question had shown some sign of being a fan of 1e, but usually he's more into horror RPGs like WoD and CoC. Usually he's not that into fantasy, so when he gave a humbs down to C&C, I thought it was a genre issue. But to come back with 1e as a possible alternate? That's odd to me.

EDIT: Here's his reply to my query: "I can't quite put my finger on it, but it has a feel that I don't like. It's like the silliness and oddities of 1e, without any of its charm. Probably not the most insightful answer."

See? What did I say? Fuzzy subjectiveness. No logic or reason.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

Some people prefer 1E's fiddly bits to a unified "logical" system. Others are more interested in the pure nostalgia of OOP A/D&D and can't put a finger on any particular "point" of logic.

...and that's ok. I like C&C and 1E. From a "logical" standpoint I think C&C is more streamlined and easier for me to run as CK. I also think C&C is better designed to catch a new generation of roleplayers by dint of the streamlined system. But I still like playing 1E just because of how it "feels". I've played it for 30 years and I know its fiddly bits and odd rules....even initiative. Which I understand. I don't use it, but I understand it.
"Logic" applied to a pastime as subjective as a game really doesn't work. What I object to (not here, on other boards) is the "you're with us or against us" argument. You either play 1E as your FRPG or you're a blasphemer. Oh, and 99% of the time that's BTB core 1E (ie MM, PHB, DMG; maybe De&Dmg) or you're a !@#$ X-tard who really is just playing 2E. Which is !@#$ compared to 1E as ANYONE knows* so... etc., etc. blah blah blah.

So, to sum up I can understand why some prefer 1E to C&C despite the latter's streamlined system and I'm ok with that. So long as they don't bash people who play C&C (or OD&D, CD&D or 2E) then that's fine.

*= Wanna know a secret? Core 2E has all the rules as options to play it virtually identical to 1E. Only Initiative, surprise and Weapon speeds are done slightly different. But shhh! Don't say that too loudly.