Favorite race/class to play and why...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Favorite race/class to play and why...

Post by slimykuotoan »

...?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Really dont have one, though I loved playing elven rangers back in the day. Now, pretty much most of the characters I play are the favorite at the time. I dont wrangle myself into playing anything other then I want to play.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Dirgesinger
Skobbit

Post by Dirgesinger »

i'd have to say Human Paladin (3.5)...i started roleplaying with ravenloft

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

You know, as primarily someone who DMs/GMs/Story Tells/CKs/Narrates/etc.

I'd have to say that I have difficulty playing any class/race for any length of time without getting bored; I'd find myself invariably killing off my own characters at some point to try something new.

Reading Dragonlance, I'm into mages, starting a Conan novel, barbariany guys...

That said, the closest 'like' I have, would be human fighters, clerics, or thieves.

And yes, they'll always be thieves to me.

Oh, I really like dwarves too, but have no idea why. Maybe it's because I'm nothing like them in real life.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Moorcrys
Red Cap

Post by Moorcrys »

Illusionist (1e) has always been my favorite -- with a good DM who adjudicates illusions fairly. Always played humans although I'm currently playing a gnome illusionist/thief in 1e PBP which is a lot of fun.

I have to say I've had a real blast playing a hexblade in a 3e Living Greyhawk game for the last couple years. It's a really flavorful class, if a bit underpowered compared to the monstrosities some of my game-mates can build using the 3e system.

Whatever class I play has to have some spellcasting ability in it, or I get a little bored.

Moorcrys

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Favorite race/class to play and why...

Post by gideon_thorne »

Rangers and thieves. Sometimes druids. Either human or elven.

A ranger-thief combo I have is actually one of my favorite characters.

I'm not one trained to front line fighting, like the warrior classes. I tend to think in terms of misdirection and flank attacks.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I just take a die and roll it. Whatver comes up is what I'll play, even if the stats are rather odd, or stupid for the choice.

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

I like human fighters or thieves, or the classic Elven F-Mu-T (dating myself!)

Edit: oh yeah, the why part. I'm not really sure. I never dug the other demi-human races. As for class, I like the simplicity of the Fighter and the options for stealth offered by thieves. I was always worried that I wouldn't play a wizard well (funny to say, of course, since how I played him would be how I played him). I had some good clerics back in the day, but never gravitated towards them - it was always out of duty to the party. Never cared for druids or barbarians.
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

human or half elf thief-mages. Why? Because I love the broad range of options they have between the thief skills and the mages spells. They suck as a front line fighter and can't heal, but the sky is the limit with such a character. In fact I hate 3E multi classing. Yeah, it took forever to level in 1E and 2E, but man! The power and versatility was worth the wait!

I would probably like the full elf best of all if I played in a game without racial level limits. Of course when a mage is able to cast Shapechange they can be any race they like.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Dorn Hammerhelm
Skobbit

Post by Dorn Hammerhelm »

When I first started D&D I was a Purely-Elves guy. But then a year or two later I finally read The Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore, and as is usually the case, I was so enamoured by Drizzt that I decided to make a 'good' Drow character. But, you know, he was still technically an Elf.

I was always a huge fan of Elves, reading The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. And then when the motion picture trilogy came out I remember thinking Legolas was the bomb, so that further solidified my love for Elf-kin.

After the Dark Times (what I refer to the period after our D&D group dissolved as), when we started back up again, I began exploring new races. A had a Doppelganger in one campaign and a Half-Orc in another, in both cases it was simply to try something new. But finally (and currently) I have settled with Dwarves, and have a dwarf in both campaigns. This happened because of a story I wrote involving a dwarf named Dorn Hammerhelm. I grew to like the character so much that Dwarves became the new Elves

Lion's Mouth Entertainment
http://www.starwarsfanworks.com/lionsmouth
Ephesians 6:10-18
"Fortunately, there are not enough men of property in America to dictate policy."

jaguar451
Ulthal

Post by jaguar451 »

Historically, I liked playing Human Rangers.

As to why, well, Aragorn.

(NOTE: I never claimed to be original....
Although I'd play most of the classes.

Cleric 'cause no one else would.

Gnome thief was fun as well.

Fighter is fun to get out RL frustrations in limited time.....

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

I don't really have a favorite. I don't care for playing Humans unless I have to, so I guess Non-Human is a favorite. And if negative favorites count, I'm also quite fond of Non-Monks. Otherwise, I'll play most anything, but only rarely two similar characters in a row.

Wait, wait! I've got it - I play Non-Human, Non-Monk Dexterity Focused Lightly Armored Types Who Occasionally Cast Spells And Have Lots Of Skills But Very Little In Their Pockets And Rarely Keep Their Mouths Shut When They Should.

That's my stereotypical character.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Bards, druids, rogues, illusionists and monks.

Gnomes, halflings, and elves.

Mostly never humans or fighters.

No half-orcs (but I allowed one of my nephews to play one as a barbarian).

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

NulSyn
Ungern

Post by NulSyn »

Human Cleric. I have always loved the Cleric class. MY favorite being Clerics of Gods of War.

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

I tend to play a charismatic/persuasive guy. Whether he's a cleric who is good at making the group seem respectable to NPCs or a rogue who cons/shmoozes folks, that seems to be my preferred PC type.

As far as race goes, I tend to play the shorties: Dwarfs, Halflings, and Gnomes. Why? I'm not sure. I'm 6' tall, so it's not that I see myself as an extremely short person. I think because it sometimes can be a challenge to find ways to make them a vital part of the party. In many systems, the little folk aren't "optimized."

One of my favorite PCs of all time was my NG gnome cleric of Garl Glittergold. He nearly never entered combat. He used his magic to aid and heal the party, or hinder their foes. He was charismatic and clever, though. He even became sort of a folk hero to a human village that the party had helped out once or twice. He was crazy for gems and would buy the best stones out of the loot from the party. He had a fantastic necklace made of the best gems (including some black sapphires taken from a defeated drow cult, a Pearl of Wisdom, and a dragon's tooth from a green they'd killed). The thing was worth about 10K (not including PoW) but he wore the same cheap leather armor he started with and carried the same nonmagical club he had at 1st level. It drove the power-gamers in the party CRAZY (another reason, perhaps ), but they were always happy when Kiltaggle was near them in the marching order.
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

In earlier days (B/X) I preferred Elves, which of course covered race and class.

After that, and through today, I am partial to two:

Human/Elf/Half-Elf Fighters (Mercenary, with some sort of chip on their shoulder)

or,

Human/Half-Elf Monk (yes I like the Monk -- the "physical and mental" devoted to the body as the primary weapon itself).

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Tank
Red Cap

Post by Tank »

Dwarf! For both race and class, if need be.

Jungger
Hlobane Orc

Post by Jungger »

If I had to pick one it would be a human mage. I always have enjoyed playing them, cone hat and all.

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

In the past, i typically played elf rangers and thieves. But lately i've become fond of dwarves.

-Fizz

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Of all the charcaters I have played over the years, I think my favorite race/class has to be a half elf Druid Ranger. I had more fun with that character than all the others, plus he has survived the longest.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Alwyn wrote:
Of all the charcaters I have played over the years, I think my favorite race/class has to be a half elf Druid Ranger. I had more fun with that character than all the others, plus he has survived the longest.

I've one of those. 9th level ranger/12th level druid. One of my first characters.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I like dwarves and I like clerics, so dwarven cleric! I've played two of them throughout the years, along with some dwarven not-clerics and some not-dwarven clerics.

I've never played a gnome or half-orc, though, and plan on rectifying that eventually.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I've enjoyed playing many different races and classes over the years, leaning mainly on fighters. But I've come to really enjoy playing the human cleric. Probably because he's lasted the longest and has become my Avatar name on various boards.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

I'm currently a big fan of dwarven fighter/clerics (my current C&C character is a fighter/cleric of Clangeddin Silverbeard). He's bluntly honest and a lot of fun to run because he has no buffer between what he thinks and what he says... which has a tendency to get him in hot water.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Dwarven fighter. With a 18.xx STR and a 6 CHR.

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5