R. A. Salvatore on Drizzt Do'Urden

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

R. A. Salvatore on Drizzt Do'Urden

Post by slimykuotoan »

For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

I liked some of the early stuff he did with Drizzt. I found some of the later stuff to be kind of "Waaa, I'm a misfit" whiney.

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

NulSyn

Post by NulSyn »

I stopped reading Drizzt stuff 10 years ago....thinking maybe my desire to read it would be fueled again one day....still haven't got it.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

A few years ago, I re-read the original trilogy and tried to re-read the Dark Elf Trilogy. I could not make it through the second - it was entirely too angsty and self-indulgent.

That being said, I really enjoyed the Devil's Due comic adaptations. They stripped the stories down, and made them move along nicely without getting bogged down by the ponderous internal dialogue.

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

I really liked the early Drizz't books about the feuding Houses & chaotic social order of the Drow. The Matriarchs were truly merciless. Good stuff. Lots of double-dealing and back-stabbing.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I read about three paragraphs in a Drizzle book, once. I put it down, laughing. I never tried again, nor do I want to. I don't see the love affair. Drizzle is the least interesting character in the series, based on what other people, with greater mind stomaches, have told me.

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Not crazy about Drizzt himself, but the outlook on Drow society was interesting. The most exposure I had to the Drow before was from the old D&D adventures. Vault of the Drow, Descent into the Depths,etc. I just never had an idea of how blood-thirsty & scheming they were.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I enjoyed the stories myself but then again, what I read was 15 to 20 years ago when I read a lot of pulp fantasy (such as other TSR novels).

I'm not sure if I'd enjoy them anywhere near as much now as I did then though I imagine it would take little effort to read through them.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

rabindranath72

Post by rabindranath72 »

I only ever read the short paragraph in the 1e FR sourcebook Savage Frontier, when the drow was "only" an 8th level ranger. Quite interesting character, but IMO not enough to do tens of books about it.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

The main thing that turned me off over time was Salvatore trying to incorporate today's social problems within his stories. Sorry, if I wanted that, I read the newspaper editorials!

StealthSuitStanley
Hlobane Orc

Post by StealthSuitStanley »

Interesting comments...
Apparently I'm not up to the intellectual standards around here. I loved the entire series so much that I have read all the way through at least twice and a few of the early novels three or four times.

I like Salvatore's story telling ability, especially his combat descriptions! I've read just about every book he has written and liked most of them. In the later parts of the Drizzt series a couple of the books became tedious, but for the most part I think it is all so good it should be made into a movie series.
The great thing about this forum is that we're not so elitist as to exclude people with differing opinions...which is why I felt I could write how I feel about this subject and be honest.

SSS

----------------------------

"Size matters not."

-Yoda, Jedi Master
CK of the Planewalker's Society

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

StealthSuitStanley wrote:
Interesting comments...
Apparently I'm not up to the intellectual standards around here. I loved the entire series so much that I have read all the way through at least twice and a few of the early novels three or four times.

I like Salvatore's story telling ability, especially his combat descriptions! I've read just about every book he has written and liked most of them. In the later parts of the Drizzt series a couple of the books became tedious, but for the most part I think it is all so good it should be made into a movie series.
The great thing about this forum is that we're not so elitist as to exclude people with differing opinions...which is why I felt I could write how I feel about this subject and be honest.

You are correct. What I like about these fora is that there is no "One Opinion to Rule Them All".

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Im fond of the series myself. But what I like better are his non FR novels, Especially one called The Highwayman.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

StealthSuitStanley wrote:
Interesting comments...

Didn't mean to hurt your psyche!!
I liked the earlier series alot! I just thought the later series got to be a bit preachy and whiney - nothing more, nothing less.

The Highway Man series was pretty good too!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It got to the point where I quit reading it. I think the word "Twilight" was in the title of the last one I read.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Loggahead

Post by Loggahead »

NulSyn wrote:
I stopped reading Drizzt stuff 10 years ago....thinking maybe my desire to read it would be fueled again one day....still haven't got it.

Exactly how I started to feel about Drizzt after finishing the Icewind Dale Trilogy and starting the Hunter's Blade Tril. I've gotten to the point where I don't care for him at all. I much prefer Bruenor, Cattie, Regis, and Wulfgar's characters to Drizzt's any day of the week!

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

After some retard at the old Middle-Earth Online Forums argued with me that Aragorn was noted for wielding two swords at once 'cause thats what Rangers do', I swore off forevermore Drizzt. A pox on R.A. Salvatore and his inky black skinned Elf. Ranger my aching keister.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Thanks for the link. I got to speak with RA Salvatore briefly at Gen Con 06 and found him to be an amicable guy and easy to approach. Like them or not, the Drizzt novels are some of the most recognizable works set anywhere in the D&D fiction. Some people are too good/clever/whatever for these books. I am not one of those people. I havent kept up with them in a long time, but those that I have read have been enjoyable and worthwhile reads.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

I prefer his Cadderly series. But, he's been pretty much retired. Rats!

RakintheBlue

Post by RakintheBlue »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Im fond of the series myself. But what I like better are his non FR novels, Especially one called The Highwayman.

I really enjoyed the Demonwars Saga. The first set better than the newer ones.

RakintheBlue

Post by RakintheBlue »

Deogolf wrote:
I prefer his Cadderly series. But, he's been pretty much retired. Rats!

I also must agree with this!

Oh yea I've read and enjoyed most of the drizzt books, up to the 1000 orcs book, at that point my desire to read them died.

Sticky Lizard

Post by Sticky Lizard »

Artemis should have slain Drizzt, and eaten Gwen. Give the man a flashlight to shine in Do'Urden's face, and then let's see how fancy his footwork is.

Kneel before the LIZARD KING!!!