What do they have against Gygax? What did he do to them?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Well, thanks. I foolishly followed that link. I know I should blame myself, but I want to blame you lot instead!

Sadly, the Wizards board has moments of lucidity, but mostly follows the classical equation of Public Forum + Anonymity = Dickhead.

Now my brain hurts. I want a hug.

vestinious

Post by vestinious »

OK I have never met the man, but I must say that by D&D he introduced me to a past time that I have enjoyed for the last 21 years now.

So for me he has been a major influence from my teenage years and by playing his and other RPG's given me countless hours/days/months/years of fun.

So he gets a big from me.

Thanks for all the good games Gary.

Rog

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Gary gave a "response" in his ENWorld thread. Total class!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

vestinious

Post by vestinious »

Treebore wrote:
Gary gave a "response" in his ENWorld thread. Total class!

Any chance of a link ?

Cheers,

Rog.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=167680&page=5

Post 185, numbers are in the upper right corner.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Thanks for the link, a classy answer from a classy person!

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

skathros

Post by skathros »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
Thanks for the link, a classy answer from a classy person!

I wish i could be that classy.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

You are. I'd have blasted some of those guys 6 ways to sunday if it had been me.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

serleran wrote:
... TLG -- if you ever get a chance to create a C&C CRPG, I say -- DON'T.

I have to disagree with this. A C&C CRPG similar to the Baldur's Gate series or Planescape: Torment would make me weep with joy.

VFults

Post by VFults »

I put in my two coppers worth but once n*z*s get mentioned in a thread about gaming, it's time to bail.
Regards,

V

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

That was one depressing thread. Such groundless bile.

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Akrasia wrote:
That was one depressing thread. Such groundless bile.

True, but plenty of EGG supporters cam and backed him up, the last page is mostly pro-Gygax. I knew that WoTC ID might come in useful.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Not wize to mess with the main man anyhow. Folks end up with Egg in their face..

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I was wrong. Gary's response wasn't to the "vile" thread, it was in response to this WOTC thread:
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.p ... ost9641384

Not that it lacks any vile, but not as bad. Lot of people ignorant about myths and legends. Can't really blame them. Thought I knew all there was to know after college and some "definitive" books on Myth and Mythology I read.

I was wrong.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

It's highly obvious that most of the people posting there have never met the man. Damn internet - great for sharing ideas; equally bad for not being able to filter out BS!

I've had the pleasure of gaming on Gary's front porch for the last four years now! A great guy - have had dinner there on a couple of occasions and many-a-laugh! I'm amazed at all the questions he answers (and he's answered sooo many god-awful, mind-numbing ones too!). The man has given so much to the world of gaming its amazing!

Thursday is his birthday (July 27th) and plan on being there for that! Damn nice guy!!

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

I'd say the biggest problem is that all too many simply don't get that you can have different tastes, different styes and desires in RPGing. Gary has strong opinions on what he likes, and has always designed accordingly. He also promotes what he likes (as do we all), and too many younger players have such different views on what IS "D&D" that they can't stand that the man who created it doesn't jump on and scream "yay, yay yay" with them for 3.5 etc. It's not the RPG he wanted, but the one most basic thing Mr. Gygax always says is that it only matters what YOU like to play - I doubt he feels animosity towards anyone who likes playing with other systems. But too many people get hung up on what's "better" or "good" etc. I am here now and a devotee of Castles & Crusades because it fits with MY desires and likes. Others like O/AD&D, Savage Worlds, Gurps, Hackmaster, etc., etc., etc.... I think the people who get most ambivalent do so because they want some sort of "official stamp" of approval from legends in the business that their "way" is the "best," and when they don't get it they get angry.

Gary has never been anything but open and supportive on the boards I have been on with him. I live close by in Wisconsin and hope to meet him next year at the LGGC.

John Maddog Wright
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Jynx
Red Cap

Post by Jynx »

Deogolf wrote:
I've had the pleasure of gaming on Gary's front porch for the last four years now! A great guy - have had dinner there on a couple of occasions and many-a-laugh! I'm amazed at all the questions he answers (and he's answered sooo many god-awful, mind-numbing ones too!). The man has given so much to the world of gaming its amazing!

How is it that so many people have been able to game on his front porch? MAN! I've got to take a weekend and drive out there myself one day. I mean... to game with 'THE MAN' himself would be awesome. Does he like Canadian Beer?
It's quite obvious that if he games with fans of RPGs and is so open to do so on his front porch, that he is indeed a great guy therefore there is no need for us to worry about naysayers on other less friendly boards.

SCREW EM! - the naysayers I mean
And HAPPY Birthday Gary - even if I'm a few days early!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Quote:
I think the people who get most ambivalent do so because they want some sort of "official stamp" of approval from legends in the business that their "way" is the "best," and when they don't get it they get angry.

*chuckles* I can wax lengthy and rhetorical about the truisms contained herein, but I wont other than to say 'quite right'.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Peter,

That sounded so much like how Gary would have wrote it I had to look for your name to make sure.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

*chuckles* Ya well. Me and the grumpy dude are more alike than he cares to think about I bet?

Peter Bradley

tcabril

Post by tcabril »

I don't think that all the negativity toward G. Gygax is necessarily at him, personally, but rather at the older versions of D&D.

3.5 did correct some of the problems of the older systems but created lots more. The old style of D&D was more about, in my opinion, who your charcter was and how he conducted himself in a fantasy world rather than the 3.X version which is what your character can do. Hope this made sense.

To paraphrase Ed Greenwood (Forgotten Realms) 1st Edition D&D was more Roleplaying over Rules and now 3.X has become more Rules over Roleplaying.

I have heard people trash older versions of D&D and they have never played them!!! I think that rather than trash old Gary - we should think of him fondly and thank him for the countless hours of enjoyment he has provided.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

I agree completely tcabril. I've heard absolutely atrocious things being said about Gary, and for a guy to take that much abuse over his own creation that became an international phenomenon - and still maintain a friendly, open, and enthusiastic love for the game and all who play it. Well, that just proves to me that Gary is worthy of all the respect I can give him.

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

weasel fierce

Post by weasel fierce »

That thread mirrors a friend of mine, who is a big 3.5 D&D guy, and general WOTC fanboy (mind, i dont count the word fanboy as a negative slur. Im a Chaosium and Warhammer FRP fanboy myself )

I guess to legitimize your own hobby, you have to find something to crap on, to make it valid "well, we're geeks, but at least we're not like [insert target] "

Take a look at how pure D&D and pure White Wolf players sometimes react to each other

Or Magic players and everyone else
(and yes, I played Magic too. I stilll would if it wasnt too expensive)