Help with Computer Parts

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Help with Computer Parts

Post by Troll Lord »

Hey folks,

I need a couple of very simple things for our lap top, but don't quite no where to go about it, or what these items are called.

I need the feet for the bottom. Those little rubber doohickies that are glued to the bottom of the laptop in order to give it seomthing to stand on. They are small, black things.

I also need the nipples and clips for several keys on the key board.

If anyone has any idea where or how I can go about getting these I would be very grateful.

Its a Dell by the by.

Thanks,

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Here are some links

Post by Combat_Kyle »

I'm not sure what Dell you have but I've ordered from these guys before:
http://www.laptopsforless.com/dellkeyboards.htm

Hope this helps.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Dude, for a cost-effective solution, go get a sheet of the white spongy stuff with sticky backside from the hardware store and cut off a few squares or just pull off the other rubber feet and go without them (unless it has a heat-sinc that vents underneath).

For the other problem you can probably find a laptop of the same kind with a bad motherboard or busted LCD monitor on E-bay and swap out the keyboards for around the same price as buying the parts separately. That way you'll probably end up with more spare parts should you ever need them. Meanwhile, when you're not on the road you could plug in a normal keyboard to your PS2 or USB port, load the driver and deactivate the driver for the laptop keyboard.

Just a suggestion.

Brian Miller

Former Computer Tech, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Brian,

Hey! I like the way you think. I stopped by Compuserve earlier and bought an external key board for like 15 bucks, so I'm live again on the key board. and I think I'll just follow combat kyle's link and buy a new key board.

For the feet (it does have a vent) I took a piece of rubber belt from my attic fan that's been in my truck for a month and cut out little squares about the same size. I'll glue them in shortly. Eventually I'll hobble the thing together.
Thanks for the suggestions gents!

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Another idea is to take the round plastic pieces that come with, say, a cheap desk at Wal-Mart or a "build-it-yourself" chair, and superglue them on. Essentially, anything that lifts the base off the ground / table is good. Hell, you could even take pizza tables, and whittle them down about 3/4, and use them.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Heh, hobble it together, eh? Sounds familiar. Been doing that for years...pick up a part here and there then when I have enough to slap one together, I do just for kicks. Ended up with 8 computers on my home network. It's a headache when it comes to cleaning up spyware though.

Good advice for anyone interested: If you ever need a computer for cheap, check when the nearest public university has their Surplus sale. They practically give computers away. The CPUs are only 1Gig, but that's enough for most people's needs (unless your running the latest video games or rendering video files) and the rest of the parts are usable in any case.

Glad I could help.

Brian
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Inkpot

Post by Inkpot »

*grins* I love this group so much....you guys just rock!
Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

mossimmi
Henchman

Re: Help with Computer Parts

Post by mossimmi »

Hello,
I need to help for my computer, I don't have any idea about How To Assemble A Desktop PC/Choosing the parts??

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

mossimmi wrote:Hello,
I need to help for my computer, I don't have any idea about How To Assemble A Desktop PC/Choosing the parts??

Go to you tube and search for videos on building computers. They have videos for choosing your components to building a computer using your specific components. Its how I learned to do my own PC building.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

You need to first decide what the PC will be used for, as its primary function. If you want it for gaming, and by that I mean recent games without too many hiccups, then the needs are going to increase... but, if you just want something to browse or create some documents, then you won't need much at all.

Also, it is not always cheaper/better to buy parts and build the PC yourself. That ensures you get exactly what you want, but it might not be what you need.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:
You need to first decide what the PC will be used for, as its primary function. If you want it for gaming, and by that I mean recent games without too many hiccups, then the needs are going to increase... but, if you just want something to browse or create some documents, then you won't need much at all.

Also, it is not always cheaper/better to buy parts and build the PC yourself. That ensures you get exactly what you want, but it might not be what you need.
Yeah, if your going for a minimalist computer, you can probably find a good deal already built. The biggest reason to build your own is if you want top quality products inside, and that will still save you money if your also going for a high processing power PC. Like my current computer I am building would retail for over 4 grand, but I am building it for less than 2 grand. Less than $1,500, actually, but thats because I got a few of the components for super cheap at auction, such as my 8 Gbyte video card and MSI motherboard.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Boniaer
Henchman

Post by Boniaer »

Treebore wrote:
serleran wrote:

Yeah, if your going for a minimalist computer, you can probably find a good deal already built. The biggest reason to build your own is if you want top quality products inside, and that will still save you money if your also going for a high processing power PC. Like my current computer I am building would retail for over 4 grand, but I am building it for less than 2 grand. Less than $1,500, actually, but thats because I got a few of the components for super cheap at auction, such as my 8 Gbyte video card and MSI motherboard.
You are really good! For me , my computer is very card,and I also want to do it,but I don't know where to start.