Aihrde - can I trust it?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Robocoastie
Ungern

Aihrde - can I trust it?

Post by Robocoastie »

Will Aihrde be fully developed or will it go poof as Castle Zy* seems to have done?

thanks,

Rob

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Aihrde is a fully developed campaign setting. Between the AWD blue booklet, the Codex of Erde, and the AWD Folio, you should have enough material to last until the Aihrde boxed set comes out.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Aihrde - can I trust it?

Post by gideon_thorne »

Robocoastie wrote:
Will Aihrde be fully developed or will it go poof as Castle Zy* seems to have done?

thanks,

Rob

Yes, and CZ hasn't gone 'poof' in any way shape or form. It just takes a lot of work. ^_~`

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Robocoastie
Ungern

thanks

Post by Robocoastie »

thanks I shall soon pick up After Winter's Dark then. Just didn't want to start investing in something and it turn out to *poof*. I'd love to be wrong about CZ but the dev cycle has been so long so far it would be in junk stock status long ago if it was a company :p

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: thanks

Post by gideon_thorne »

Robocoastie wrote:
thanks I shall soon pick up After Winter's Dark then. Just didn't want to start investing in something and it turn out to *poof*. I'd love to be wrong about CZ but the dev cycle has been so long so far it would be in junk stock status long ago if it was a company :p

Well, the East Mark folio, which just came out, includes a portion of the environs around the Castle itself. So it's obviously not dead.

Nor would I be wasting my time working on a 8 foot by 10 foot city map of Yggsburgh. Nor drawing up castle and dungeon plans for the first boxed set were the project dead. ^_~`

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Well, the East Mark folio, which just came out, includes a portion of the environs around the Castle itself. So it's obviously not dead.

Nor would I be wasting my time working on a 8 foot by 10 foot city map of Yggsburgh. Nor drawing up castle and dungeon plans for the first boxed set were the project dead. ^_~`

DRRROOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!

8 by 10 feet?!? IS that what we are going to get in the boxed set? MEaning that size?

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Robocoastie wrote:

thanks,

Rob

Aihrde/Erde has been fully developed for years, what's the question?
CZ hasn't gone poof, but is in full swing with loads of people writing and producing. CZ Eastmark has been released with many of the booklets to follow. ???

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Robocoastie
Ungern

Post by Robocoastie »

guys you're mistaking passion to see more and concern for sarcasm.

The description of the East Mark Folio says its a rehash of what's already in the Yggs. book which is why I didn't consider it part of CZ.

As for Aihrdre it seems its only recently getting the C&C touch. I'm just trying to figure out where CnC is going on an official basis campaign setting wise if there is one so I know which I'd like to get my gloves on aside from the Yggs book I already have which so far has no where "officially" to plunk it into, I'd been under the impression a while back when it was announced Aihrdre/Erde (sp?) would become the "official" CnC setting that Yggs. and CZ would be plunked there but I now know that's not the case at all so I was left confused is all.

As for my *poofs* comments the actual CZ books aside from Yggs. have been listed as TBA for what? 2 years or more? Just questions, breathe, relax, in, out, breathe.

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Robocoastie wrote:
As for Aihrdre it seems its only recently getting the C&C touch. I'm just trying to figure out where CnC is going on an official basis campaign setting wise if there is one so I know which I'd like to get my gloves on aside from the Yggs book I already have which so far has no where "officially" to plunk it into, I'd been under the impression a while back when it was announced Aihrdre/Erde (sp?) would become the "official" CnC setting that Yggs. and CZ would be plunked there but I now know that's not the case at all so I was left confused is all.

Uhh, OK.

Enjoy the game.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Robocoastie wrote:

The description of the East Mark Folio says its a rehash of what's already in the Yggs. book which is why I didn't consider it part of CZ.

As for my *poofs* comments the actual CZ books aside from Yggs. have been listed as TBA for what? 2 years or more? Just questions, breathe, relax, in, out, breathe.

Well, hopefully you can see why the 10x8 FEET!! maps would contribute to such a long time frame. I know the maps I saw of the Castle at GenCon 06 weren't small either. Plus I would probably be engaging in similiar sarcasm if I hadn't seen those Castle maps.

Just be glad your not getting into L.A. and want the full rule books to be put out. OR get the Hekaforge versions if you can find them.

Still, I like what I have been reading in LA Essentials. So I can be patient about LA. Probably only because I haven't decided to get fully into it yet. If I do, and really take a liking to it, I'll definitely end up nagging the Trolls about it.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Robocoastie
Ungern

Post by Robocoastie »

Thanks for all the info and updates gang!

Perhaps a better description for CZ Eastmark would help because no, I can't see 10x8' maps because the description for the product is very vague. But as always the information right here is stellar.

thanks again,

Rob

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Robocoastie wrote:
Thanks for all the info and updates gang!

Perhaps a better description for CZ Eastmark would help because no, I can't see 10x8' maps because the description for the product is very vague. But as always the information right here is stellar.

thanks again,

Rob

The Gaz for Eastmark isn't the one with the 8 by 10 maps, its an up coming boxed set that has those.

The Gaz has material from the Yggsburgh and adds levels of detail to it. So a good chunk of the "basics" are in the Yggsburgh book, but the expanded material isn't, and neither is the adventure. The adventure material will be seen again, likely in the boxed set. Because it is part of a bigger whole, and rather than require people to buy the boxed set and this folio, it will be in its entirety in both products.

So yes, a large percentage of the material of the Folio is in the Yggsburgh book, but not all of it. The adventure will be represented in another product down the road.

So you need to decide what do you want? Do you want to be able to have the Yggsburgh book and not really need the Folio? Do you want to buy the boxed set further down the road, but be missing the adventure part that is in this folio? Or do you want a folio that expands on material in the Yggsburgh book, and sweetens the pot with an adventure section that will be seen in a later boxed set, so that boxed set will be complete?

So the Trolls have given us a lot of options/choices. Do you want to be a completist? Do you want to get a taste of the Castle material? Then buy the folio.

If you don't care about expanded upon material for Yggsburgh, or want a "taste" of Castle Zagyg, then don't buy the folio.

I've bought the Airhde Folio, and am very happy with it. I already have most of the material from the D20 Erde Codex.

I've ordered the Eastmark folio. Why? Because I believe I am going to like the material, the maps, and having all the info I need for the Eastmark area in just this folio, rather than have to refer back to the Yggsburgh book and the folio to get a complete picture. Plus I get a look at a piece of Castle Zagyg.

So for me its a winning purchase.

So just figure out what it is for you.

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

Airde is developed and the hardback (Codex is still sod) - though we r almost all out. I think @100 left, its also 3.5

its being re-edited and presented differently for CnC. As fo how long it will take to finalize another hardback or whatever steve as planned for it, i do't know.

CZ is, trust me, being worked on.

With some untimely medical problems, quittings, contractural disputes etc, we have a handle on it.

davis

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

CZ will see the light of day. Its a fact. When... well, when its done.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Treebore wrote:
DRRROOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!

8 by 10 feet?!? IS that what we are going to get in the boxed set? MEaning that size?

No. But as I have mentioned upteen times in various places, when one sticks all the city maps together that I am working on for the Yggs city, thats about the size of the thing. ^_~`

Peter Bradley

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Robocoastie wrote:

Yes, in part, but it also contains new material.

Peter Bradley

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The EM folio is awesome ~ EVEN if you already have CZY. The EM folio presents more information for sure, but also (at least in my mind) seperates the East Mark as it's own setting. While CZY doesn't really describe anything bigger then what is presented on the CZY map, the EM folio delves into the cosmology of the EM setting a bit, as well as other things that make it distinct.

A worthy addition to CZY IMHO.

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Treebore wrote:
The Gaz for Eastmark isn't the one with the 8 by 10 maps, its an up coming boxed set that has those.

*chuckles* Actually no it isn't. Best go read what else I said.

Peter Bradley

Robocoastie
Ungern

Post by Robocoastie »

sweet info Treebore, Omote, and gideon.

thanks again!

Rob

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies

Prince of Happiness

Post by Prince of Happiness »

I don't think you can. I've seen Aihrde cruising around high school parking lots in a windowless van with more primer than paint. Better watch out for that one.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

So the 8 by 10 is for Yggsburgh? IS this going to be a huge map put into one product, or will it be broken up among the 24 installments?

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Treebore wrote:
So the 8 by 10 is for Yggsburgh? IS this going to be a huge map put into one product, or will it be broken up among the 24 installments?

Once again, as I said, when one puts the maps together from all the city books, it will be about that big as near as I can calculate. Whether one whole map will be printed that size, I consider it unlikely since I can't even put together a file that size in photoshop. ^_~`

Might be able to do about half that size one of these days, that'll depend on cost.

Peter Bradley

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Robocoastie wrote:

thanks,

Rob

Hey Rob,

So far as Aihrde is concerned, it is fully developed. The AFW Folio is all you will need to start and continue play in our official setting. The other material is useful as well (the Codex for instance). But really, all you need is in the Folio. We'll publish more as time progresses, but it shouldn't stop you from playing in the world.

As for CZ, we shall see.
Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Troll Lord wrote:
The other material is useful as well (the Codex for instance).

The Codex?

I found a Codex for Erde. Is there another Codex for Aihrde?

Know your roll!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

CharlieRock wrote:
The Codex?

I found a Codex for Erde. Is there another Codex for Aihrde?

Erde.. Airhde.. same thing.

Peter Bradley

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Erde.. Airhde.. same thing.

You gotta be kidding me!
I've been not buying anything Erde because I wanted to be able to snatch up anything and everything Airdhe. To the point where I don't even look in them lest I be too tempted.

Know your roll!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

CharlieRock wrote:
You gotta be kidding me!
I've been not buying anything Erde because I wanted to be able to snatch up anything and everything Airdhe. To the point where I don't even look in them lest I be too tempted.

The Codex of Erde was produced for the 3rd ed D&D game though. As were the related modules listed under the d20 section. It'll all be done over for C&C eventually, so, unless your in a hurry, your not going to be missing anything.
Up to you.

Peter Bradley

Robocoastie
Ungern

Post by Robocoastie »

excellent, thanks Steve.

Rob
Visit Robbie's Hobbies

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

gideon_thorne wrote:
The Codex of Erde was produced for the 3rd ed D&D game though. As were the related modules listed under the d20 section. It'll all be done over for C&C eventually, so, unless your in a hurry, your not going to be missing anything.
Up to you.

What about the pictures? TLG usually has really good illustrators.

So gathering up Erde stuff would be something best for the completist or a d20 gamer?

I can wait ... I guess. I'm using DCC World for one campaign and Mystara for another. So it's not like I need a setting or the game will go kaphlooey.

Know your roll!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

CharlieRock wrote:
What about the pictures? TLG usually has really good illustrators.

So gathering up Erde stuff would be something best for the completist or a d20 gamer?

The artwork in the Codex is simply . . outstanding. Dark, gritty, fantastical with differing styles that all seem to compliment each other and the setting. There were 8 interior artists including Jason Walton and Bryan Swartz who both have done work in other TLG books.

As far as completism, yeah if you're going to use Aihrde as your campaign world. The book is stuffed with info and you can't beat the price. Very little is d20 and easily converted.