Music for CKs to do prep by

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
CharlieRock
Lore Drake

Music for CKs to do prep by

Post by CharlieRock »

http://radio.emulationzone.org/chan5/

I listen to it mostly when I am preparing the next scenario. Mood music

Know your roll!

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Good topic! I think the music listened to during game play and the music listened to during prep can be very different things.

For starters, I can't listen to "fantasy music" during prep. I save that for game time. During prep I have to listen to things that remind me of the glory days when I learned how to game.

So, naturally, a lot of 80's pop music gets played, especially Hall & Oates. I also listen to a lot of Elton John (the old stuff) and occasionally some hair band stuff. Elton John seems to be the consistent choice, though.

Every great once in a while I'll bust out some Enya, since I used to listen to that while playing Bard's Tale.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

synabetic
Ungern

Post by synabetic »

Yeah, I agree with Fiffergrund on saving the "fantasy" music for the game.

(at least as far as I'm concerned)

It usually depends on what I'm making and what mood I'm in. I have a general catch-all music library for working on games or my column or whatever, but I do have a playlist specifically geared toward campaign/game construction which includes a variety of stuff like Slayer, Fear Factory, GWAR, Converter, Reaper, Bolt Thrower, Battlelore, Iron Maiden, And One, Suicide Commando, haujobb, Winterkaelte and many more metal and industrial bands. Sometimes I get in the mood for Hawkwind, though, and that makes some great "classic" design tunes for me. Especially the album "Warrior on the Edge of Time". Then there's the Saxon and Manowar days... hehehe.

Now, I haven't prepped my first C&C game yet. But I'm sure it will follow the above formula in some manner.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

during prep time lately i've been listening to nightwish. in my younger days, dio, iron maiden, sabbath and zepplen always helped.

while gaming, i guess its the classical stuff. conan, braveheart, excalliber, lotr and legend soundtracks. something about the main theme to conan when you ask for init gives me goosebumps.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I never did music during a game.

For prep? Nothing special for that either. My listening taste doesn't change whether I just want to listen to music or if I'm prepping a game. I listen to what I want to hear at the time.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I never listened to music to prep. I was always to focused to notice it when it was on for whatever reason. I do like to play music while we play, though.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

SpencerWright
Hlobane Orc

Post by SpencerWright »

Blue Oyster Cult, Ozzy, Warren Zevon

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

I listen to classical music when prepping for my next game.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

SpencerWright wrote:
Blue Oyster Cult, Ozzy, Warren Zevon

I do like listening to them. Especially Warrens final album.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Have never been really into the musical-inspiration bit while prepping the game; setting things up seems to require too much concentration from me to essentially "multi-task" with the ears. During the game, though, is an entirely different matter: I've been an avid soundtrack collector since age eleven (starting off with John Williams' Jaws), and make every effort to have something mood-appropriate while we pursue the actual game.

Only regret: a friend of mine - who was running a pretty g**dammed good AD&D 2.0 game some years ago - had several of my CDs over at his workplace; which was, conveniently, where we actually played his game. His blasted expletive deleted ex-partner - a true jerk if there ever was one - left my friend's company (incidentally with a $20+ k debt to my friend that I don't know if he'll ever be able to collect on) and took off for another city...along with my soundtrack CDs. The financial situation is pretty tight at the moment, but every time we play C&C now and I remember some appropriate piece that's been absconded with, I picture that invididual and curse his name. Jerk.

Mike Frank
Red Cap

Post by Mike Frank »

mordrene wrote:
during prep time lately i've been listening to nightwish. in my younger days, dio, iron maiden, sabbath and zepplen always helped.

while gaming, i guess its the classical stuff. conan, braveheart, excalliber, lotr and legend soundtracks. something about the main theme to conan when you ask for init gives me goosebumps.

Sweet!

I don't listen to music while I'm preping. But while playing the guitar, it's great to look at all the Fantasy artwork in the game room! My latest inspiration is the cover to the Wilderlands boxed set. Awesome work!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Although I haven't prepped with specific music, a good soundtrack that I think would be perfect is the "The Last of the Mohicans" soundtrack. I used to play the hell out of it when I was reading the early Robert Jordan novels (back when they came out once per year).
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Anything metal, hard, and fast, even Christian Death Metal like Crucified. Sometimes I'll throw in some Oingo-Boingo or Pink Floyd, for those times I want to just have a weird effect, but I don't really "prepare" as much as "ponder."

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Usually fantasy stuff: Conan sountrack, etc.

...or metal: Thor, Grave Digger, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Running Wild, Nightwish, Star One, Sentenced, etc.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Philotomy Jurament
Ulthal

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

I'm not a big fan of music during the game (although it's hard to go wrong with the Conan soundtrack), but I like music while I prep. For me, it's typically:

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Metallica

Dio

Black Sabbath

Deep Purple

Led Zeppelin

Mercyful Fate

Slayer

Fates Warning

Manowar

Scorpions

Megadeth

Motorhead

Yngwie Malmsteen

et alii

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

When I'm prepping for a game, I make sure I listen to fantasy-type music that has no lyrics. This helps me get in the mood and doesn't distract me. As of this moment, my RPG prep music is:
Robinhood, Prince of Thieves soundrack
Diablo II soundtrack

The entirely to the Legacy of Kain and Soulreaver series
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban soundrack
Silent Hill orchestral soundtrack.

.....................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

SoulCatcher78
Hlobane Orc

Post by SoulCatcher78 »

All sorts but mainly metal...good to see the iron maiden fans in full force!

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

serleran wrote:
Anything metal, hard, and fast, even Christian Death Metal like Crucified. Sometimes I'll throw in some Oingo-Boingo or Pink Floyd, for those times I want to just have a weird effect, but I don't really "prepare" as much as "ponder."

Cool choice. Not my cup of tea, but I respect Crucified. My wife loved them!
Fiffergrund wrote:
Good topic! I think the music listened to during game play and the music listened to during prep can be very different things.

For starters, I can't listen to "fantasy music" during prep. I save that for game time. During prep I have to listen to things that remind me of the glory days when I learned how to game.

So, naturally, a lot of 80's pop music gets played, especially Hall & Oates. I also listen to a lot of Elton John (the old stuff) and occasionally some hair band stuff. Elton John seems to be the consistent choice, though.

Every great once in a while I'll bust out some Enya, since I used to listen to that while playing Bard's Tale.

Genesis' A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, & And Then There Were Three "take me back" to those "glory days". Yes, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, and U2 do it for me, as well. Other times, The 77's, The Choir, Adam Again, The Lost Dogs, and Daniel Amos get spun in the CD player or on the iPod.

I agree with Fiff: great topic!

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Inkpot
Ulthal

Post by Inkpot »

www.radiorivendell.com

Epica

Within Temptation

Kamelot

Leaves' Eyes

Nightwish

Lunasa

Green Man

Brollywhacker

Stream Of Passion (funniest. band name. ever.)

Psychostick - to add a bit o' humor.

That's what does me. *nods*

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Catweazle
Red Cap

Post by Catweazle »

I tend to listen to music while I ponder, rather than prep, since music generally works as inspirational material, but then I want to concentrate.

For me I don't think you can go wrong with a nice bit of Clannad, although Enya has done some good stuff on her own (my personal favourite is Aldebaran from The Celts). Alternatively, my good old Levellers stand ready to assist, although I tend to forget where I am and start moshing if I don't watch it! I like classical metal, particularly the Irons, although I have a soft spot for Dio, too. Linkin Park can still bash out a decent tune (can't help but equate What I've Done with the novel Waylander, for some reason). Sometimes I like to dig out a bit of good old folksy stuff like Steeleye Span or Jethro Tull, and theres a Mediaeval Baebes album that sees play from time to time. In classical music, I like the good old standbys, like Mussgorsky and Orff, although when in a reflective mood I do like a bit of Bach. Another favourite band I recently discovered are 3 Daft Monkeys, with a wonderful folk/world music/indie sound that's very catchy. From time to time I'll stick on some older Chris de Burgh stuff, and I do like the Kinks when just relaxing. Sometimes I like a bit of Country, with my favourites including Gary Allan (love his dry humour), Brooks and dun and of course the Dixie Chicks. I really enjoyed Little Big Town's recent single Bones, too.

It often depends on the mood I'm in, to be honest.

gnombient
Mist Elf

Post by gnombient »

My soundtrack for prep and actual game is pretty much identical: loads of atmospheric ambient stuff (of the darker organic variety) and early music. Metal and prog rock have provided some good inspiration for campaign planning, but I usually refrain from using it in-game-- I've found that some folks (myself included) get distracted listening to the soundtrack and miss out on what's going on in the game.

Some of my favorites:

Univers Zero - 1313; Heresie

Rapoon - The Fires of the Borderlands; From Shadows Sleep

Oophoi & Tau Ceti - Subterranea

Jordi Savall - The Medieval Fiddle

David Hykes & the Harmonic Choir - Hearing Solar Winds

and anything by Robert Rich, Tuu, or Art Zoyd

choral works by O. Lassus, Leonin, Perotin, et al

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Forgot to add Kitaro to my post. I have many of his tapes, but so far only "Kojiki" on CD. I'll have to fix that error.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Zudrak wrote:
Forgot to add Kitaro to my post. I have many of his tapes, but so far only "Kojiki" on CD. I'll have to fix that error.

Kitaro and New Age music in general has never done it for me, but if that's your thing, check out Ray Lynch's "Deep Breakfast." I found it much better than Kitaro.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

As long as it gets the blood pumping I will listen to it. Mainly stuff like Tool, APC, Alice in Chains, and things like that. I have also been known to rock out to some Skynyrd or *gasp* Johnny Cash from time to time while writing for the game. Hey, don't talk bad about Johnny Cash or Steve will be on you like white on rice.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Breakdaddy wrote:
As long as it gets the blood pumping I will listen to it. Mainly stuff like Tool, APC, Alice in Chains, and things like that. I have also been known to rock out to some Skynyrd or *gasp* Johnny Cash from time to time while writing for the game. Hey, don't talk bad about Johnny Cash or Steve will be on you like white on rice.

Cash is more my selection for playing poker.

Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings score, Basil Poleodouris's Conan music, Excalibur all good for me to immerse in fantasy thought.

And, depending on the mood of the adventure, some Enya mixed in can be very good believe it or not.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I used to hate Enya. The game store I used to frequent in Chas, SC was also "New Age", so they had Enya, and others, playing all the time. They brainwashed me!

Shame on you Green Dragon!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

You guys have mentioned a lot of soundtracks that I think would be great for either prep or gaming. I have most of the movies, but none of the soundtrack CDs. I'll have to check my BMG CD club and see if I can get some cheapo. They usually have good sales and cheap shipping.

Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

Catweazle
Red Cap

Post by Catweazle »

Clannad's "Legend", if you can get hold of it, was a soundtrack album for Robin of Sherwood*, and the third track in particular, Herne, is some of the best atmospheric music you can find.

Enya's stuff was always a bit samey to me; apart from The Celts, buy one album and you've bought 'em all.

*Funny story. The Irish tourist board ran some ads a few years ago with a Clannad backing track. Trouble was, the track was the theme to "Harry's Game".