Peter B's Gnomes

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Combat_Kyle wrote:
The thing is a gnome who you can't trust as is a little eerie is much more fun to roleplay that a lawn gnome. If you ever put a lawn gnome npc in a campaign, the players would never take it serously. Plus in greek mythology gnomes were earth elementals who had more in common with the furies (goddesses of vengence) than cutsie little animals. And in German folklore they were vile tricksters who played tricks on miners (or worse). SO the mythological background for PBs gnomes are there. In contrast lawn gnomes did not appear till the mid 19th century.

Which is what I based my drawing around and what Colin Chapmain based his write up of the gnome on. ^_~`

Tom Bosley gnomes, sheesh...gimme a break.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

WIth all that siad, a CK should use the type of gnomes that work best with thier style of play. I like gritty, dark fanatsy i.e. Inzae (hurry up Davis!) which the PB gnomes work perfectly for. Now if you like the more light hearted, tounge-in-cheek style (like miller6's Killer modules) then a Travelocity lawn gnome is they way to go. It is all a matter of style, the bottom line is to have fun, and to keep the evil gnomes from carrying you away in your sleep.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

eibon

Post by eibon »

I have had shadowy gnomes in my Palladium Fantasy game for several years (although I don't play that system anymore) that are fairly close to the Fiend Folio's dark creepers. They are sinister, mean and vindictive and different from the nordic style gnome from mythology. A Greek style gnome would be closer to the lesser elementals from the Atlantean System, not really small, nor appropriate for a player race.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

So, we're all agreed then that gnomes are a twisted halfling/goblin hybrid brewed up in the goblin pits of Ulgakur? Good.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Bowbe wrote:
So, we're all agreed then that gnomes are a twisted halfling/goblin hybrid brewed up in the goblin pits of Ulgakur? Good.

And they taste just like chicken. 8)

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

gideon_thorne wrote:

meepo

Post by meepo »

gideon_thorne wrote:

Gnomes...is there anything they can't do? Besides ride the grown-up rides at Disneyland, that is.

mmm...delicous fuzzy, bulbous chickens!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

gideon_thorne wrote:

Hehe, now that's funny. If I had a nickel (make it a dollar) for every weird animal that "tastes like chicken" . . . hmm, lessee:

froglegs

pheasant

halfling/goblin hybrid (does this mean half halfling - half goblin?)

snake

alligator

baby manticores

etc.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

eibon

Post by eibon »

Either way, it is really rather hard to take a creature the size of a gnome very seriously. Short bipeds are not overly frightening, unless they are really out there, like those things in the Phantasm movies, or those creepy little wraiths in Ghost.

The factor of being taken seriously lies in the delivery, not in the appearance.

(Odd how this turned from Combat Kyle thinking he was the one who was different to it being me)

--Clark Ashton Smith

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

eibon wrote:
Either way, it is really rather hard to take a creature the size of a gnome very seriously. Short bipeds are not overly frightening, unless they are really out there, like those things in the Phantasm movies, or those creepy little wraiths in Ghost.

The factor of being taken seriously lies in the delivery, not in the appearance.

(Odd how this turned from Combat Kyle thinking he was the one who was different to it being me)

Sorry bout that, I seem to do that alot, my familty thinks I would make a lawyer. And yes it is hard to take anything you can kick a field goal with seriously.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

eibon

Post by eibon »

No problem, I am used to being the the one who is against the current, it seems we have fulfilled our roles here.

--Clark Ashton Smith

lawful stoopid

Post by lawful stoopid »

I definately liked the gnome portrayed in the PB. Like those who posted before, it does have that Henson feel to it.