Stormbringer, 5th edition.

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Omote
Battle Stag

Stormbringer, 5th edition.

Post by Omote »

So this weekend I'm finally taking a crack at running a Stormbringer game. We are playing, no so much because of the Michael Moorcock's fabulous writings, but because of the setting and the rules system.
http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=62
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormbringer

Anybody ever play any Stormbringer before? Hints, stories, advice that this GM might take with him on his first outting with this system?

..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jungger
Hlobane Orc

Post by Jungger »

No advice.

I have GM'd the game and had lots of fun. My brother ended up writing some stories about his character, he liked him so much- Agent of Donblas.

I did think the magic/ spells system was a little wonky though. Workable but wonky. I guess I felt as though the magic system didn't fit the writing as well as it could have. Of course I am speaking of 3rd edit (I think) so perhaps it has changed since then. Great world to GM people through.

How do you feel about the spells and magic? You happy with it, Omote?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm indifferent at this point. Having never run or played the Stormbringer game before, I'm not sure what to think... yet. Bet your bottom dollar that I'll have at least a baseline opinion next week some time. I generally like the simplistic combat and skill system and magic seems from the outside looking in, cool enough. I don't see it being overpowering at all, but the little things have yet to hit me so far I imagine.

.............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Jungger is over at my place right now, and we've just been comparing notes on the relative merits of the Stormbringer system. I pretty much go the big one hundred with Jungger - Chaosium put together a very complete, logical, living realization of Mr. Moorcock's writings, along with the additional (and very welcome) caveat that the events of Stormbringer (the novel) should be ignored entirely and the Elricean world allowed to continue along as it otherwise would have.

I, as well, found the magic system considerably repetitive and restrictive ("Do you want to bind a salamander? A demon? That's pretty much the limit of your choices, bud."), but the authors were also forward-thinking enough to leave the system open to house-rules, if you felt the burning need to include them. I would very strongly recommend looking through a first/second edition of AD&D and determine what spells might be suitable for inclusion; it'll require a bit of reworking, but would enliven the contents of the game considerably.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I ran Stormbringer many, many years ago.

My advice is to first dive into Moorcock's writing, no matter how many times you've already done so.

Why?

Because one thing I found was that our play was hampered by the AD&D mentality we were still in. We had fun, but there were so many missed opportunities. I'd love to try it out again, one day, to see if I could do it justice.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Havn't read any Elric in some time, but I'mpretty familiar with the setting. Maybe it is about time I pick up a book again.
As for magic, my players will probably come in with a D&D mindset, so it's possible that there might be some dissappointment. That is a very good observation that I had yet to consider. Thx.

................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

I gave the game a try back in the 90's when they were calling it "Elric!" I've still got it and from what I understand the game is still basically the same. I liked it and definitely think that the game was very well done, but it is a bit of a shock for those used to D&D-style magic.