How big is your RPG collection?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
aethelulf22
Ungern

How big is your RPG collection?

Post by aethelulf22 »

I'd be interested to know how many RPG books you all have. I think I have quite a few and I know my wife thinks I do but I'm hoping that many of you will have collections that dwarf mine and, therefore, keep my wife from thinking I'm spending too much!
Seriously, though, the impression I get is that many of you, especially the gamers who started in the 70s and 80s, have loads of stuff. So it would be good to know:

I. When you started gaming.

II. How many books (manuals, campaign settings, sourcebooks, etc.) you have.

III. How many adventures you have.

Me. I started gaming in 1983. Back then I was in my early teens and had no money and so few books. Now, though, I guess I must have 80 or so books (1e, 2e, D20, 3.5e and, of course C&C) and probably the same in adventures (probably as many old 1e adventures as new ones...and for some reason I have several copies of my old favourite the Keep on the Borderlands)

rabindranath72
Lore Drake

Post by rabindranath72 »

I started in 1987, and currently have about about 300 hundred books. I had to leave most of them in Italy when I moved to the UK

Prince of Happiness
Hlobane Orc

Post by Prince of Happiness »

Started in the 90s, but gathered the bits of my older brother's 1E & Basic collection, then have built...a huuuuuuge collection. I've actually liquidated a bit getting rid of most of my 2E (with the exception of Al-Qadim), Werewolf, Mage, Wraith, and Vampire collections (keeping my Changeling. You'll have to take them from my cold, dead hands).

Tons of 3E adventures, but many, many more BXCMI and 1E adventures.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: How big is your RPG collection?

Post by gideon_thorne »

1978-9 or so.

About two shelves full. Best estimate I can give. I don't really keep track. I just collect odd bits here and there.

Not many actually. I've rarely ever used published adventures, most of which really never interested me. I have my own home setting thats been an ever evolving process since I was in my single digits somewhere.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

bulletmeat
Ungern

Post by bulletmeat »

Oh wow, I just counted:

297 books & box sets including:

Star Wars (D6 & D20)

Heavy Gear

AD&D: two shelves

3ed D&D: three shelves

D20 modern

Alternity

Earthdawn

Vampire, Werefwolf, Demon, Exalted

Rifts, Macross, Palladium FRP

GURPS

C&C and RC.

My girlfriend wants me to relate that this is not something to be proud of.

Jupp
Skobbit

Post by Jupp »

I started with D&D in 1989/90 tough I did not really start collecting until about 5 years ago. At the moment I have 1 shelf full of D&D stuff. Allmost all of it is OD&D and 1e, aside from my Planescape stuff and the 2e GH books/modules. My most dear bits are a OD&D woodie and my Greyhawk collection.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

I started gaming around 1985/1986.

As far as books and boxed sets go, I've got about three shelves worth, plus about three more with my parents that I need to get around to finally picking up, now that I'm about to have the space to take custody of them again.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Great question(aire?):

1981 - I was 9, my brother was 8 and that was that. I had to be the DM. We started with the Moldvay set and went into the Expert Box levels before moving onto AD&D. We gamed until I graduated h.s. in 1990. We picked up with Greyhawk again in 2000 with the release of 3e. I got burnt out by late 2004. I got into C&C in March of 2005, but was not able to run a game until summer of 2006 because of my wife's health issues. I've run two C&C sessions for a large group and one for a pair of players.

BECMI D&D: I have the Moldvay Basic and Expert Boxes and modules B1, B2, and X1.

1e: I have just about everything TSR had available except for all of the modules. This was my favorite system and C&C improves upon this model for me, as it streamlines the many varying mechanics into the SIEGE engine. As someone here has in their signature, C&C is what 3rd edition should have been.

2e: I have the core books, that's it. My brother and I tried playing 2e and just stuck with 1e. The abandonment of Greyhawk (and its subsequent plundering for Faerun), demons, devils, monks, and assassins, etc. was too much. I have a few other hardback books from the later 2e era, but heck if I can remember what they are off the top of my head.

3e: This collection will be dwindling. Look for it on eBay. I will only be keeping the 3e and 3.5e core books for referencing ideas that I actually liked in 3e. I will keep the 3e Greyhawk books, too, and maybe the odd sourcebook.

I also own Top Secret, Top Secret S.I., Gamma World, Twilight 2000, Star Wars d6, and Star Wars d20 material. All of that is stored either in my basement or at my parents' house.

Innumerable. I have plenty of print and PDF mods, mods in my Dungeon magazines, and one or two custom addies that are in storage with my Basic D&D stuff at my parents' house. I need to find that material someday...

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Hmm, started gaming in the summer months of 1987. My collection is quite large as I was an avid collector/reseller from 1998-2003 or so. I havn't counted in quite some time, but game books, box sets etc. has got to be in the high 200s. Two rooms of my house are essentially dedicated to gaming goodness.
.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

aethelulf22
Ungern

Post by aethelulf22 »

Wow. My wife will be pleased to know that I am but a newt in a big pond with inhabitants much larger than I!! Or at least grateful....! Seriously, though, nice to know this is a passion shared!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Im started in May of 1985.

How much stuff? Over 400 books and boxed sets. Dungeon and Dragon magazines. Would have more but lost most of the mags in a house fire about 4 years ago (2003). Lots of modules from every edition of D&D. At least 100. Like others I don't really count.

My next biggest collection is probably for Traveller/Megatraveller, with Shadowrun being a close second, then Paladium/RIFTS.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I started gaming at the begining of the summer of '91.

I have around 55 books/box sets in hard copy. Up that to around 150 in PDF. In a fit of, what can only be called stupidity, I got rid of almost all of my 2e collection when I switched to 3.x and I kick myself almost daily for it. However, there are only a few things that I got rid of that I would want back in hard copy (namely my Dl TotL box set and the CoW box set). I am in the process of picking up odds and ends that I want, when finances allow.

I have around 10 or so hard copy addys and just about all of the 1e and a good bit of the 2e addys in PDF.

My PDF collection has definately dwarfed my hard copy collection.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I started in 87'

I have three footlockers, and three sets of shelves full of books and modules, almost all the hardbacks from 1E and 2E, almost all the settings from 2E, lots a BD&D mods, almost everything for 3.0 WotC, lots of other modules. All the core 3.5 books and lots of the hardbacks. Everything for C&C. Dozens of other 3E books, settings, lots of Necromancer Games products.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

I started in 1982.

I have know Idea how many books I have, a least 2 bookshelves. I enjoy collecting rpgs so name a rpg and at one point, I've had it.

ps, thats NOT a chalenge. I'm sure there is at least something out there I haven't heard of.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I started gaming in '84.

I had a setback on my books about 7 years ago when a burst water pipe wiped out a good portion of my collection. My White Wolf books took the majority of the losses there. Then about 9 months ago I sold off about half of my collection, most of what I sold off were systems I never used.

What I've got now? I'm not sure on the number but about 5 shelves worth.

Games systems include:

Rifts

Talislanta

Shadowrun

OD&D/AD&D/d20 Primarily Greyhawk and Dragonlance material

Werewolf (and Werewolf the Wild West!)

C&C

Savage Worlds

Deadlands d20

Chronicles of Ramlar

Crimson Empire

I own a fair share of modules although most of my old ones were destroyed when the water pipe busted.

Plaag
Red Cap

Post by Plaag »

Early 90's (course played first ever game in the early 80's when one of my brothers ran me and another brother through an adventure.)

3,000 + about 200 mags (spreadsheets helped here , but not exact as I have blank rows in between to separate companies, systems, etc for ease.) For perspective 11 shelves, 10 magazine boxes, and a few other boxes and a pile or two.

A lot of adventures (spreadsheets are not broken up that way though, so not sure)

Problem with this collection, I've not read everything. Most of the newer stuff/d20, C&C, etc I have, and the stuff I had early on, but older stuff not yet. Haven't even read very much of my Judges Guild materials
ShaneG.

Birthright
Hlobane Orc

Post by Birthright »

rabindranath72 wrote:
I started in 1987, and currently have about about 300 hundred books.

300 hundred. 30,000 books. I'm impressed!
I started gaming around 1992. My "collection" is megre by most standards - about 20 books and around 30 modules or so. Plus about fifty or so old issues of Dragon and Dungeon mags. It all fits on one narrow bookshelf unit.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

aethelulf22 wrote:
I'd be interested to know how many RPG books you all have. I think I have quite a few and I know my wife thinks I do but I'm hoping that many of you will have collections that dwarf mine and, therefore, keep my wife from thinking I'm spending too much!

Hehe, my wife used to question my wine collecting - $30, 40 or $60 per bottle for Bordeaux. And it did nothing but increase in value. So you could either drink a fabulous wine or sell it at fantastic prices.

Anywho, she later found out about her co-worker who collected WWII military helmets for thousands of dollars each and she never bothered me again.

So yes, definitely tell her about serious D&D collectors and other folks who spend big buck collecting - just about anything. And there's always someone who has a giant collection and has spend beaucoup dollars!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

So, as for collections:

In 1978, I only had the Holmes Box and a set of geomorphs.

Now:

55-60 books

80-90 modules

20 or so boxed sets

15-30 magazines

30 - 40 mini boosters

10 - 15 mini starters

These are all essentially D&D/C&C.

I would very much like to try some other RPGs, but just don't have the time.

Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

Rath
Ungern

Post by Rath »

I was first introduced to AD&D in 1980/1981

My collection is pretty small compared to most... I only collect 1st and 2nd Edition AD&D and C&C

About 40 books (mostly hardcovers)

Approximately 65-70 modules (about 40% are 1E AD&D)

About 200 magazines (mostly Dragon but about two dozen dungeons too)

Exactly 8 boxed sets

I used to have a fair amount of 3.0 and 3.5 stuff too but I finally dumped it all last year... the only thing that survived the cleansing was about a half dozen Necromancer games modules (CoF, ToA, RA 1-3 and D&D)

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Hmm... some good questions.

Started gaming sometime in 1988.

Currently, my gaming collection occupies space on 3 and half large bookselves. Some of my collection has been parted with over the years. Notably (and sadly) my Spelljammer material and, with the release of the Dragons Magazine archives, a whole whack-load of Dragon magazines.

With regards to actual numbers... not including modules or boxsets, 120 books with just over half of those being Hardcover.

Box set material... 10 sets though 5 of those sets I no longer have the actual boxes for them.

I won't even try counting the modules but I do have lots and I still buy them (both older classics to round off my collection and all the C&C ones with the occasional DCC and odd one by Necromancer Games)

The largest part of this collection is AD&D material, with the second largest part being d20 material (made up mostly of WOTC, Necromancer, Fantasy Flight, and TLG products), and the third largest being made up of WEG's Star Wars RPG. My C&C collection is small by comparison only for the lack of available material but it's catching up!

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

The fever began in '79, I believe, when I read about D&D in the newspaper and was so inspired that I tried to run a game, totally sans books or rules, for my brothers that night. The first experience with an actual games table and dice came not long after.

A thread like this is a real good way to help me take stock of my obsessive/compulsive tendencies. After getting home from work, I took a walk around the house and counted up a total of 161 game books. A fair number of these involve out-of-print, defunct systems (Chaosium's excellent Ringworld, WotC's nightmarishly bad version of Call of Cthulhu, etc.), but I'm loathe to get rid of them. Final quick note: the two systems - and groups of books - that hold places of honor on me shelves right now are Last Unicorn Games' version of Star Trek, and, of course, Castles & Crusades. Looking forward to seeing that portion of the collection grow.

magehammer
Red Cap

Post by magehammer »

I started gaming in 1982, Moldvay, and to date I have 3 big book shelves full of rulebooks, modules, and accessories. I have 6 dresser drawer full of magazines, rulebooks, Spellfire cards, and other assorted gaming stuff. All of my home brew modules from the beginning to present are in those drawers as well.

I have a plastic footlocker full of various other gaming material and also have two plastic footlockers of Dragon Magazines and Dungeon Magazines.

And a disc full of PDFs. Too many to count.

Gaming is in the blood.

Visit magehammer's Keep on the Weblands at http://magehammer.googlepages.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I was looking at some of my pdf's yesterday. I have way more of those than I realized. Maybe 200 or more. At least 100 and something.

When I get home this weekend I'll start counting and inventorying everything. Its good to have a record. Just in case I am unlucky enough to have another house fire, if nothing else.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Ogma
Mist Elf

Post by Ogma »

I own 45 different RPGs and several books, boxes and supplements to support all them. Behind me are 4 bookshelves packed with RPG items.

Over the past few years, I have been working to reacquire many of the systems I played as a kid, in high school and in college. I expect this collection to continue to grow and grow and grow for a very long time.

Apart from playing the games, as a write, I find RPG materials fantastic resources for ideas! I consult all these books quite regularly!

~Scott

angelius
Lore Drake

Post by angelius »

My RPG collection in terms of hardcopy needs to be seen to be believed.

Since the last time someone posted this sort of thread I think I've increased it another 30% or so. I've started piling books in front of my shelves and books on top of books on my shelf (really bad for box sets).

greytale
Skobbit

Post by greytale »

Great thread people.

I started gaming in 83, my friends and I were picking up a girl at her house and her brother was at the table playing D&D. I guess you can figure out where that went.

I have three milk crates full of stuff, games, modules, maps, notes, and old character sheets. I have a filing cabinet full of old Dragons and White Dwarfs. I even have a series of old "greenbar" documents listing tons of potions that my buddy pulled off the newsgroups in the early days of the internet.

Some of the older games:

D&D 1e

Runequest

Traveller

Marvel

Cyberpunk

Shadowrun

Indiana Jones

Chill

The newer:

D&D 3e

Warhammer Fantasy

Serenity

Every free pdf I can get my hands on.

And finally, I am waiting impatiently for my C&C Players Handbook and Monsters and Treasures to arrive from Amazon. Really impatiently.

Franklincense
Mist Elf

Post by Franklincense »

Started gaming in the 1960s.

Several hundred books from most publishers 1975-present, maybe 1000+.

Adventures, somewhere in the 1500-2000 range I think... not sure, maybe more. (I don't count downloads/PDFs.)

Plus another 5000-8000 boardgames.

Two friends I've visited have more RPG stuff than I do.

At least 8 others I haven't visited also seem to have more.

But I know of only 2 or 3 other boardgame collections larger than mine, at least in America.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I can't beleive there are people who own more board games then FRANK!
............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

aethelulf22
Ungern

Post by aethelulf22 »

Franklincense wrote:
Several hundred books from most publishers 1975-present, maybe 1000+.

Adventures, somewhere in the 1500-2000 range I think... not sure, maybe more. (I don't count downloads/PDFs.)

Plus another 5000-8000 boardgames.

Two friends I've visited have more RPG stuff than I do.

At least 8 others I haven't visited also seem to have more.

But I know of only 2 or 3 other boardgame collections larger than mine, at least in America.
WOW. Maybe assuming I was just a newt in the pond was a tad arrogant on my behalf...more a glint in the toad's eye...and there seem to be some monsters to rival the Loch Ness monster in here!