Heroes

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Heroes

Post by slimykuotoan »

I've periodically gone through hard times over the years -as we no doubt all have- and have oft found solace in literature and D&D.

That say'd, who are the heroes in literature, fantasy, movies, or etcetera which have helped you along the way, provided you much needed guidance, or have just plain been an appreciated distraction from the real world?

Pour moi -and this' gonna sound geeky- the movie: Conan the Barbarian, has shown me the triumph of the human spirit over incredible odds...and long ago, the music of John Thor had provided me with strong fantasy/warrior music which thankfully had very little to do with the real world.

If no one knows who Thor is, here's the link (try the 'Call of the Triumphant' song download in the audio/video section for a trip to the frosty northlands...)
http://www.thorcentral.com/

And thou?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

StealthSuitStanley
Hlobane Orc

Post by StealthSuitStanley »

For me, it's been the standards. Drizzt, Elminster, Blackstaff, and all the rest of the Forgotten Realms crew. Although my favorite has always been Jarlaxle
Others include Luthien from the Sword of Bedwyr series, another excellent series by Salvatore.

Movies include The Scorpion King, The Thirteenth Warrior, Reign of Fire, et al.

I recently got the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon series through Netflix. I remember how great they were as a kid, and now my kids are enjoying them, also! I had forgotten just how well done they were! Some were quite frightening at moments and definitely intense. The only problem I had with the show was Hank, the ranger, and his stupid bow. That bow could do anything! make a bridge, trampoline, lasoo, flare, blow holes through solid stone, and don't forget arrows! I mean, come on!

SSS

----------------------------

"Size matters not."

-Yoda, Jedi Master
CK of the Planewalker's Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I can't say that any character in literature has helped me in anyway other then pure enjoyment.

Characters in fantasy-themed literature that have found particularly strong, and have been an appreciated distraction from the real world was the character Tanis Half-Elven from the Dragonlance series. I know a lot of people hate this series for one reason or another, but I think the Tanis character is a particularly nice portrayal of the reluctant leader/hero type. Combine that with Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman's vivid writing style, and you have the makings for a very enjoyable character.

............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Philotomy Jurament
Ulthal

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

Books:

Howard's Conan stories

Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories

Cook's Black Company novels

Thieves World collections (ed. Asprin)

Burrough's John Carter/Martian novels

Adams's Horseclans novels

Tolkien's novels (Lord of the Rings, et al.)

Moorcock's oft-recycled story (Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon, etc)

Lovecraft's mythos stories

Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur

Beowulf

Eddas

Homer's Iliad and Odyssey

Robin Hood

Ivanhoe

Movies:

Conan the Barbarian (stories are better, though)

Excalibur

Sinbad movies

Clash of the Titans

Jason and the Argonauts

Dragonslayer

Spartacus

Gladiator

Braveheart

Ben-Hur

Zulu

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Ghost and the Darkness

Beastmaster

13th Warrior

Probably others I'm not thinking of at the moment...

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I agree with Omote on the more enjoyment than guidance, but they have helped to pave the way of my thought process.

For pure enjoyment the classic Tolkien range of characters & of course the original D&D type books, Drizzt etc, and the first DL books. (lost interest after the numerous follow on I have also been a fan of Historic fiction like Ivanhoe, all the Peinman books and historic Arthur books etc etc.

Movies, oh soooo much time spent in the dark with a wide range of viewing. Westerns, J. W. the spaghetti westerns etc, all the good war movies didnt like even at a younger age war movies with a political statement to make- and of courts star wars & the first few Aliens.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Heroes

Post by gideon_thorne »

Hanse Shadowspawn, Raistilin, Hawk and Fisher, Lazarus Long, and more reciently Harry Dresden. I know, odd lot. ^_~`

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Books: The first six dark elf books, especially Drizzt's writings at the beginning of each chapter. And the Hobbit/LotR.

Film/TV Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV show, not the movie.)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Comic Books had my heroes in them. Thor being my most favorite. Plus X-men, JLA, Legion of Superheroes, Avengers, and lots of others.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
Lazarus Long

GT good one, How could I forget "Stranger in a Strange Land" in my list.....

C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I don't know about guidance, but much appreciated distraction would definitely have to go to the Heroes of the Lance.

Growing up in the military, we did a lot of moving. The Dragonlance books and the heroes within were constant companions to me however.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Gimli and the stoic endurance of the dwarves has often inspired me to endure some drudgery or tough assignment. I find many qualities to be admired in Gimli (in the books, not the movies) - the aforementioned endurance, loyalty to his friends, love of beauty, etc.

As Philotomy Jurament mentioned, the Eddas and Beowulf have certainly provided their share of wisdom and inspiration to me as well.

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Mucho inspirational discussion topic.
For me, the abodes of retreat during times of trouble have basically been two: diving into any of the better Star Trek TOS episodes, or looking through the RPG books that make up the library. I was heavily into an MMPOG over the course of a couple of years there, on which I whiled away many an hour that could have been put to far more productive use, but that situation, thank God, has largely come to an end over the last few months.

The trinity that has provided me with the Guideposts to a Better Life are James Kirk, Batman and King Arthur. Whenever real problems have descended, those are the places I go to in order to find inspiration and guidance. Can't go wrong with those guys.

Prince of Happiness
Hlobane Orc

Post by Prince of Happiness »

Conan was the first and foremost inspirational fictional character. A self-made man! Grabbed life by the short n' curlies and made it his! Set in a fictional world, sure, but definitely an American original.

Samwise Gamgee. Loyalty is a virtue and his life was the richer for it.

Boromir, that you can be a human, with your weaknesses, but courage and sacrifice can rule the day and find yourself.

The Grey Mouser: Because being a stout and hardy warrior is one thing, but taking life with a wink and a smile wins big time with the wimminfolk.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
As Philotomy Jurament mentioned, the Eddas and Beowulf have certainly provided their share of wisdom and inspiration to me as well.

Yeah, I can't forget the Eddas. The Havamal has been a many time read of just plain good wisdom.

Catweazle
Red Cap

Post by Catweazle »

I have to admit, I've never turned to a book or movie character for inspiration that way. The value that those stories held was a bit of escapism from an sometimes-hostile world.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

re

Post by slimykuotoan »

I soooo can't believe that Thor is still around.

Albiet much, much older.

...revisiting the old days in this vid; I remember at every concert, he'd have to perform a feat of strength (bending metal bars in teeth, etc.)

How quickly we age.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnLEYlzY ... ed&search=
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

re

Post by slimykuotoan »

...and yet more cheese.

To a 12 year old...this was gold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BlOMtpu_4

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I;ve watched the first 2 seasons as well. I saw the premiere, and started thinking to myself about 1 hour in; " boy, this is a lot of stuff." Characters aren't staying dead, lots of new villians, good guys are bad guys, time travel is now VERY prevalent and too much of a factor in the show now, etc, etc. I like the show. The first season was damn good. The 2nd season was bit of a sophmore slump, and it didn't help things with the writers strike.

I liked it better when we though Sylar was eating brains to get his powers.

Overall, very meh only because of so much stuff. Though I'll continue to watch to see what happens... at least for now.

-O
VAE VICTUS!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I know what you mean, Omote. I liked the season premiere, but I'm getting a little worried. I'm afraid they're going to put too much on their plate and won't we able to do all the characters justice.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

I watch Heroes... every morning when I shave.

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

Not to be a hater, but Heroes just isn't doing it for me like it did during season 1. The season finale of series 1 just left me very disappointed. And don't even get me started on the abomination that was season 2. I'm holding out judgment for this new season. But so far, i was not that impressed after the first episode.

In my opinion, the two best Sci-Fi shows out right now are both on Fox. Fringe and Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Trolllord Games

Convention Coordinator

Executive Director - TrollCon, Winter Dark
richard@trolllord.com

------------------------------------------

ALEA IACTA EST - THE DIE IS CAST

Thegreenman
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thegreenman »

AGNKim wrote:
I watch Heroes... every morning when I shave.

You watch Higglytown heroes too?

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I watched the first season and thought it was great, but for some reason I had no desire to watch the second season.

Thegreenman
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thegreenman »

I'm a big Heroes fan actually.

I only watch two tv shows currently, Heroes and Weeds.

I'd be watching True Blood if I had HBO.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Not to be a hater McBain, but sarah conner chronicles sucks . Gimme more Battlestar Galactica plz and thx. Fringe is win though.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Thegreenman wrote:
I'd be watching True Blood if I had HBO.

I wouldn't be too disappointed. It pretty much sucks.

ThrorII
Red Cap

Post by ThrorII »

Yeah, season 1 rocked...until the finale. Honestly, the "4 years past" about 'future Peter' and 'future Sylar' was amazing, and was what the finale should have been.

Season 2 was just disappointing. It promised so little (a view of the 1st gen heroes) and delivered even less. I was glad it got shut down early.

I'm watching s3 hoping it recaptures some of the magic of seaon 1.

I'm starting to see a pattern in each season, however: Each starts with either future Peter coming back with a warning, or present Peter going forward to an unpleasant future. The rest of the season is just a rather predictable ride to how they avert it.

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Not to be a hater McBain, but sarah conner chronicles sucks . Gimme more Battlestar Galactica plz and thx. Fringe is win though.

Haha, neg sir. Sarah Connor is teh win. You sir, are teh suck!

Trolllord Games

Convention Coordinator

Executive Director - TrollCon, Winter Dark
richard@trolllord.com

------------------------------------------

ALEA IACTA EST - THE DIE IS CAST

shadoes
Hlobane Orc

Post by shadoes »

huds0n wrote:
Haha, neg sir. Sarah Connor is teh win. You sir, are teh suck!

Gonna have to go with SCC is the suck on this one SCC just didn't catch me. It is okay when they are actually running from the terminators but when it get all family angsty it looses me.

heroes I thought was awesome the first season, they lost me in the second.

Fringe so far is good if derivative. Funny thing was watching the premiere I told my wife wow look its what happens when you take Lost, X-files, and Altered States and roll them into one... three days later she found a review that essentially said the same thing hahahaha.

But so far it is good enought o hold my attention.

On a different topic are youa battletech fan Mcbain?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

1st season of SCC was damn good, I mean damn good. The writing was really tight and fit the mythology of the Terminator franchise really well (not quite perfect, but almost). The 2nd season of SCC is up in the air for me at the moment...

Battlestar Galactica has been the $#!4 for a long time now. The 2nd half of the last season was pretty damn good.

Heroes... like I said above I'm reserving judgement at this point.

Fringe is EXACTLY Lost and X-Files rolled into one.

-O
VAE VICTUS!