game apps

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Severite
Mist Elf

game apps

Post by Severite »

there was a post about mac apps, was wondering whats available now in the windows world?

As for the OS war.........I prefer linux for stability and securityl, but as I am definitley not an advanced user, and cant figure out how to get games to work on linux, I have had to comback, though I have no intention of getting Vista anytime soon

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: game apps

Post by Rhuvein »

Severite wrote:
there was a post about mac apps, was wondering whats available now in the windows world?

As for the OS war.........I prefer linux for stability and securityl, but as I am definitley not an advanced user, and cant figure out how to get games to work on linux, I have had to comback, though I have no intention of getting Vista anytime soon

HOwdy, Severite. Haven't seen you 'round here in a while. Are you the one who is overseas in Iraq or stationed somewhere with our armed services?

That thread, I think just surfaced again.

You've reminded me of some things that I've been working on.

Got my W2K box raised from the dead. Hope to put a new version of Linux on it - Linspire or Ubunto (sp?).

Upgraded my XP box with RAM and a new video card (256MB).

Neither Doom III or Quake IV run!
But Half-Life 2 does!!!
My vista machine is OK, after much work to remove, tweak, update, secure, streamline etc. Not recommended unless you have FULL hardware capabilities.

But the hardware kicks ass for Half-Life 2. IMO, the greatest computer game EVER!

Still wanting to buy an Apple box, but prices - as always silly/ridiculous. It's probably too late, but if they had ever presented a cheaper computer/software package, I believe they could have seriously ate into microsoft's monopolistic deathgrip on OSs. I still think Linux has a chance.

At least Firefox is gaining!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Severite
Mist Elf

Post by Severite »

yeah, I was the one overseas, I got back in October, and have finally gotten more or less back on my feet, I even have some vague and forlorn hope of making it to this years con, I loved last years

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

I really do need to get crackin' on some OS X apps for C&C. My intention was to develop the tools as I developed my campaign. I haven't gotten to do that yet. I will though!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I made a few things for Windows-based computers, but my programming abilities are severely lacking... so, umm, I don't think you want them. I have gotten better at what I was doing with them, but I don't think I'll be making the stuff available any time soon. Anyone who has the old stuff should just toss it, since the newer versions are much, much, better. ;)

Tank
Red Cap

Post by Tank »

I got wind of this program from Brickman over at the 'Foot.
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php? ... t+Volume+I

Looks pretty handy - apparently you can generate random encounters, npc's and treasure. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'll snag this one for later!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Tank wrote:
I got wind of this program from Brickman over at the 'Foot.
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php? ... t+Volume+I

Looks pretty handy - apparently you can generate random encounters, npc's and treasure. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'll snag this one for later!

OMG!!! I forgot about that little program. I have it... still... packed up in a box somewhere. The 5.25" disks aren't particularly useful for my current rig but I seem to remember that at one point I did make a backup onto 3.5" ... just have to find it... Or just grab it from the link.

If I remember, there was a vol.2 which was more for magic and treasure... I seem to remember vol.1 more for encounters and generation. You could also program in your own entries and modify as needed.

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Inkpot
Ulthal

Post by Inkpot »

I'm getting darn tired of waiting for the new version of RedBlade....

Oh, and Rhu...I just beat Half-Life2 for the second time the other night. Frikktastically awesome game!! HEADHUMPERSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Inkpot wrote:
I'm getting darn tired of waiting for the new version of RedBlade....

Oh, and Rhu...I just beat Half-Life2 for the second time the other night. Frikktastically awesome game!! HEADHUMPERSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Ink

Excellente!!

I'm now playing Episode 1 for the second time. I think Episode 2 comes out in August.

[For those wondering, Half-Life 3 is going to be released in Episodes, due to the huge amount of time necessary to build/release a full version of the game. Valve's owner admitted, they would all be retired if they waited for a full and complete version of HL3 - LOL]

And yeah, it's Frikktastic!!!

thedungeondelver
Ungern

Post by thedungeondelver »

I would point out that user (and friend) mektonzero over on my forums is currently building a run-anywhere jav* based replacement for the DM Assistant apps; it's in late alpha testing and you can feel free to drop by, sign up for the forums, and join in the fun.

thedungeondelver
Ungern

Post by thedungeondelver »

Rhuvein wrote:
Excellente!!

I'm now playing Episode 1 for the second time. I think Episode 2 comes out in August.

[For those wondering, Half-Life 3 is going to be released in Episodes, due to the huge amount of time necessary to build/release a full version of the game. Valve's owner admitted, they would all be retired if they waited for a full and complete version of HL3 - LOL]

And yeah, it's Frikktastic!!!

Episode Two will also include the Paranoia-esque Portal, a game set in the HL/HL2 universe but in a wholly different ... "part" of it. If you haven't seen it, it's awesome. Your sole weapon is a gravity-gun like affair that lets you grab (but not throw) objects in the game. But that's wholly secondary to its primary feature: you can zap portals in things. You open up an "A" portal in a surface, and by zapping somewhere else again you open up a "B" portal that goes elsewhere (think Dimension Door or Passwall). You can literally shoot an A portal in the floor and a B portal in the ceiling and drop down through it and watch yourself fall through an infinite mirror tunnel of portals!

I'm not doing it justice, though.

Start here: http://www.aperturescience.com/

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

That "portal" thing was originally designed as a game of its own, by some kids in college, but the designers/makers of the other game were there doing some demo/show-us thing and saw it, bought it, and now its the "next thing." Only saying it so people can continue to believe there is always a "chance" but that chance, to me, is always about being circumstantial. ;) It is kind of neat, and if I were into shooters, I might think it fun... maybe for a cartoon game, but not a shooter.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

thedungeondelver wrote:
Episode Two will also include the Paranoia-esque Portal, a game set in the HL/HL2 universe but in a wholly different ... "part" of it. If you haven't seen it, it's awesome. Your sole weapon is a gravity-gun like affair that lets you grab (but not throw) objects in the game. But that's wholly secondary to its primary feature: you can zap portals in things. You open up an "A" portal in a surface, and by zapping somewhere else again you open up a "B" portal that goes elsewhere (think Dimension Door or Passwall). You can literally shoot an A portal in the floor and a B portal in the ceiling and drop down through it and watch yourself fall through an infinite mirror tunnel of portals!

I'm not doing it justice, though.

Start here: http://www.aperturescience.com/

Hmm, sounds very interesting. Can't seem to get the link to work, though - even in a couple other browers!