TLG, the C&C game and these forums . . memories!

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

TLG, the C&C game and these forums . . memories!

Post by Tadhg »

As these forums fade away . . and/or wind down somewhat (although it seems that many new members arrive and ask all those great questions that we’ve answered through the years – meaning all you new members, be sure to search these forums for some incredible insight and knowledge to this game that we all love. And . . we don’t mind answering those questions again, if you can’t find the answer in a search)

So . . . I have so many great memories of this great game, Castles & Crusades – as follows:

The Game ~ simply outstanding and without question, one of the greatest versions of Dungeons & Dragons. (I remember quizzing Gary about this and he somewhat agreed – only after I said that OD&D and BD&D were only better for those that could house rule and ignore/create/change that game on the fly as the DM ran it.)

The Trolls!!!! Steve and Davis are some of the finest gentlemen who have written material for our games. These guys are simply brilliant in every way. Writing, creating, pontificating (hehe, Steve with a Dr. Pepper – or was it a Pepsi?).

All these forums through years and all of us who contributed (and battled and argued and snarked and cussed and . . .

For now, just getting started . .

more to come.

What are your thoughts???
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Re: TLG game and forums . . memories!

Post by mgtremaine »

I agree, it does seem like the days of forums are running down, other social media seems to be easier to manage for companies but with 250K+ posts at 17k+ topics here there is so much interesting info. Half the time when I think of something to ask I search and find a long thread about it already. Great resource to have. C&C is my favorite AD&D, Campaign length D&D,hands down. (I do enjoy OD&D also.)

-Mike

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

I do like C&C, and so many of its rules I import into my O/AD&D games when I'm running them. Victorious of course is also fun too. :lol:

While forums are on the downswing, I still prefer them and leave FB, etc. to my wife. While some of the newer stuff is good, there's nothing to compare with forums keeping everything on hand for search and data. Twitter, FB, etc. just cant' do the same. <sigh> I intend to stick it out, and stay on my forums until I'm the last one if need be.

They can have my forums...when they pry them from my cold dead hands!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

DMMike wrote:<snip>
While forums are on the downswing, I still prefer them and leave FB, etc. to my wife.
<snip>
I intend to stick it out, and stay on my forums until I'm the last one if need be.

Mike
I'll be there with you as I feel the same.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Had a lot of good times here, online games and conversations and made a lot of friends over the years. It saddens me to see the forums wind down the way they have. I hope it's not the end of the forums, I still visit this place and should post more often, I'm guilty of spending more time on the FB group and the Discord channel nowadays. Funny thing is, those other two venues really aren't more fulfilling to me, not sure why I even bother with them to be honest, is it just the traffic? Anyways, I feel the same Rhuvein, and thanks for posting this. It's my hope that the forums stay, I think that this is still the best place to discuss C&C!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rgr It kills me to see the form drying up on the vine like it is. The cynic in me says all things come to an end, so it is the cycle ending here. However, even if it is true I don't enjoy it happening

It goes without saying that I love the game and it's off shoots, especially Victorious. I find myself when playing in any other game comparing it to C&C and normally I may find things I like in the other game, but I still prefer the simplicity and feel of C&C. Plus you can easily adapt those other nifty items from other games and graft them onto the C&C / Siege rules and have the best of all worlds.

Now for the memories ... oh s many !

Loved the 'family' feel of us here. Encouraging each other as we go through life's ups and downs -myself going through the last deployments of my military career, retiring from the military, moving, not finding a job, then struggling in the jobs I did find, and working through my bachelors and then masters. Others going through similar life issues or ones even worse. It was good to have an open feeling to vent get encouraged (or encourage others going through the hard times). I think this is what drew me into the fold even more than the rules themselves. Heck, this happened this week with my house flooding once last week and then twice in one night this week (plus the tornado touching down a bit over a mile from where I sit typing this now)

Similarly, love the open arena to argue and debate with peers and (for the most part) ones that after the debate is over will still be open and friendly. This goes hand and hand with the above item.

Something else I've loved is the 'Crusades' threads. I love reading others games and taking inspiration form them, and being able to write the stories of my characters and the various exploits of the Ne'er do Wells I have wasted so many Monday nights with over the years.

Now this may be one that few remember but I loved the 'A day in the life' narrative story we put together so many years ago about Yggsburgh . ... I think that is actually my first truly creative 'writing' especially one that took ideas from others and weaved them into my stories and then others taking threads from me and blending them into their stories.

Finally, all the ideas house rules home brew things here that all are so willing to share. Everything from the Domesdays that we have put out together, to the house rules we have shared, to the monsters, and so many other things. I guess that fits with the family feel that has always been here, but I have to mention it.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm sad to the see the forums dying as well. Facebook is supplanting the forums, but I think the forums are just a better medium for discussion of the game. There are some pretty identifiable causes for the shift that make the transition seem irreversible to me.

My involvement with the forums coincides with my return to gaming about 15 years ago. The things that stand out at the moment: Casual observers losing their minds over the delays in releasing the CKG as if the book were core. The thrill of the build-up to the Upper Works boxed set finally being released. Gayle yanking the Zagyg IP and the sense of Armageddon. Serleran's strong posts hidden amidst volumes of unhelpful junk. How the Trolls used to participate in the forums semi-regularly. All of the online games that had their genesis on the forums. The Lake Geneva Gaming Convention. That guy who was hyper gung ho to organize convention play under his dictatorial vision who vanished a few months before Gary Con, never to be heard from again. Illusionist healing!

For me, it's hard to separate C&C from the forums. It's all the same thing in my mind.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: TLG, the C&C game and these forums . . memories!

Post by Tadhg »

Thanks for all the great replies!!! :)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

More thoughts . . .

C&C White Collector's Box.
Gary Gygax posting and contributing to much of the great C&C gaming stuff. (Castle Zagyg, et. al.)..
Yep, all the online gaming these past years has been fabulous.
Meeting and gaming live and in person with so many of youse guys has been fantastic.
Fiffergrund

;)

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Yeah, anyone know what happened to ol' Fiff?

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Lurker wrote: *snip*

Now this may be one that few remember but I loved the 'A day in the life' narrative story we put together so many years ago about Yggsburgh . ... I think that is actually my first truly creative 'writing' especially one that took ideas from others and weaved them into my stories and then others taking threads from me and blending them into their stories.
OMGosh, Les. I had completely forgotten about that thread from ~ 12 years ago. Oh my . . here it is!

http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... =yggsburgh

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I haven't been around as long as some, but I've enjoyed my time here. After officially jumping back into gaming after a 15 or so year hiatus, I found my way here. I poked around for a bit, read some old threads, and then jumped in. The group was very welcoming, with minimal bs you see in other places (although there have been some interesting conversations...). Lots of great topics and ideas were to be found, and I was lucky enough to find room in the Monday game I'm still playing in. I'm not much into social media, I'd much prefer to hang out here.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Ancalagon wrote:
DMMike wrote:<snip>
While forums are on the downswing, I still prefer them and leave FB, etc. to my wife.
<snip>
I intend to stick it out, and stay on my forums until I'm the last one if need be.

Mike
I'll be there with you as I feel the same.

My thoughts exactly. Good info on facebook quickly fades away and is never heard about again. Forums with a search engine are the only way to retain all the good advice C&C fans love to provide each other.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Excellente!

Thanks for all the great replies!

Game on!

8-)

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Sad to see the forums become a barren wasteland. I know that I don't stop by as often as I should, so I guess I'm part of the reason we don't get a lot of chatter in this place.

As to the memories … this is the 3rd (?) TLG board that I've posted on. I know that I playtested C&C back in 2002 or 2003, and I'm pretty sure I posted for a year or more before that. I really have enjoyed the sharing of ideas that happens in this place and hope that enough like-minded folks hang around after the rest have gone.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Love this board. Even though I do not get to play much C&C anymore I still enjoy visiting here and keeping up. I am thinking of running C&C for my next campaign with a group of 7-8 players who have never heard of it. We are in the beginning of a Traveller campaign right now, however.

Great memories. It is good to see familiar people here.

Toric
Henchman

Post by Toric »

Wait! Don't everybody leave now! I just got here! :D

I hate Facebook supplanting an actual forum. Forums are so much better for discussion, and searching old posts.

I have recently started running C&C and would love to have the option of the forums to chat with like-minded folks if the need or urge occurs.

Here's to hoping the forums survive!

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Toric wrote:Wait! Don't everybody leave now! I just got here! :D

I hate Facebook supplanting an actual forum. Forums are so much better for discussion, and searching old posts.

I have recently started running C&C and would love to have the option of the forums to chat with like-minded folks if the need or urge occurs.

Welcome!!

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Welcome. I for one, still check in here nearly daily. Though I don't post nearly as often as that.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Greetings, Toric. May your zombies remain intact.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

Thread necromancy time!

I dipped into a random page in this area and picked a topic which looked good. Love a bit of good will messages.

Is there any user who hasn't come back to the forum since it picked up the pace, who I could reach out to? See if they still are into C&C and wanna pick up where they left off?

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Bifford wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:27 am
Thread necromancy time!

I dipped into a random page in this area and picked a topic which looked good. Love a bit of good will messages.

Is there any user who hasn't come back to the forum since it picked up the pace, who I could reach out to? See if they still are into C&C and wanna pick up where they left off?
There was some kind of falling out between Tim and Treebore a few years back. I'd love to see Tree back on here, he added a lot of value.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

maximus wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:41 pm
Bifford wrote:
Thread necromancy time!

There was some kind of falling out between Tim and Treebore a few years back. I'd love to see Tree back on here, he added a lot of value.
Do you think Tree would come back? I'm not sure. I know I'd love to see him back as well. I suppose we could talk to hiim about it.

Plus. it would make reaching out to everyone in the game a hell of a lot easier, not to mention posting game-related things.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Rigon wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:02 am
maximus wrote:
Bifford wrote:
Thread necromancy time!

Do you think Tree would come back? I'm not sure. I know I'd love to see him back as well. I suppose we could talk to hiim about it.

Plus. it would make reaching out to everyone in the game a hell of a lot easier, not to mention posting game-related things.

R-
I think it's worth the ask

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

maximus wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:18 pm
Rigon wrote:
maximus wrote:
Bifford wrote:
Thread necromancy time!

R-
Well, I did.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Rigon wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:50 pm
maximus wrote:
Rigon wrote:
maximus wrote:
Bifford wrote:
Thread necromancy time!

R-
Well, I did.

R-
I feel like something big is about to happen here!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

maximus wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:11 pm
Rigon wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:50 pm
maximus wrote:
Rigon wrote:
maximus wrote:
Bifford wrote:
Thread necromancy time!

R-
Well, I did.

R-
I feel like something big is about to happen here!
We'll see my friend, we'll see.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Bifford
Site Admin

Post by Bifford »

Heading this off at the pass. I'm discussing with the powers that be, but there's no promises of anything.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Fair enough

Grandpa
Ulthal

Post by Grandpa »

Just FYI to the Trolls; My wife directs huge companies on their medi strat & tactics. FB is now officially dead for real media/PR pro's. Companies trying to use it in place of even forums like this are wasting resources. Twitter is good for a "radio broadcast" type mechanism but scores extremely low for people looking to bilaterally engage as it is a soap box set up and not a conversational platform.