View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
AS&SH Sub-Classes 
Ungern

Post AS&SH Sub-Classes
Just got my copy of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea yesterday and I must say that I'm digging it so far. Seeing as I already have some Lovecraftian/pulp elements in my home campaign world I'm looking forward to incorporating this material in. I'm just going to make Hyperboria the north pole lands, a sort of vestige of ancient cultures, gods etc. I am quite interested in some of the sub-classes they introduce, especially the berserker and the new magician sub-classes. Has anyone used these extensively yet in a game? They seem to be powered about right while offering a few cool special abilities. But just curious. Can't wait to bring this stuff into my game.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:18 am
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: AS&SH Sub-Classes
I haven't used them yet; still waiting until I have a group that wants to play AS&SH, and then I'll probably just use those rules. They seem mostly pretty good, though I am still a little bit unsure about the 2 phase initiative.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:12 pm
Ungern

Post Re: AS&SH Sub-Classes
Still skimming through the rules. My plan is to mostly just play 1st edition AD&D or C&C with them, but make use of the new classes, spells, and monsters. I do like the idea of class-based bonuses to certain saving throws. Lately our group has played C&C and that will likely continue, but some people have expressed an interest in just going back to 1st edition, which is fine by me as well. It's still more intuitive for me because I never played the later editions, though I bought a few books, mostly monster guides. With all the OSR stuff out there now, it's really easy to go back to 1e. I really don't like 5e with those lame short rests, long rests, archetypes, multiple saves to avoid death, and super fast character advancement.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]