Decent ray of hope.

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Decent ray of hope.

Post by Treebore »

Most of those I game with already are aware, but since we act like an extended family around here...

My wife started working for the VA a couple of months ago. Recently, due to what they have been teaching her, which is to process Veteran claims for benefits, my wife learned a few very pertinent things for me, and her.

I became rated at 100% back in 1995. Right out of the Navy, because the Navy rated me at 100%. Which was good. I was getting max possible benefits, right? Wrong. They only rated me on the one main thing that qualified me, and totally ignored my host of other issues. When I questioned this, not to even get more money, but because I knew from my military service, documentation is important. I was told there was no point, I was already at 100%, I was maxed out.

I now know this is a lie, thanks to my wife now being trained for her job. Plus, she also learned of another program that came out in 2004, that it looks like I qualify for.

So we have submitted the paperwork to start the process, and we are submitting more to "develop" my case. According to what my wife has been taught, verified via the rules/regs she now has access to, I should be getting a substantial 23 year back pay by about March. OF course, the government doesn't play by their own rules unless they want to, but if they do...

Plus, if I qualify for the other program, which is from the military, not the VA, I will be getting back paid for that for 7 years. Possibly all the way back to 2004, since their own rules say they should have automatically evaluated me for the program back in 2004.

So, if the Government actually follows their own rules, etc... 2018 will be off to a really good start for my family and I.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

maximus
Lore Drake

Re: Decent ray of hope.

Post by maximus »

Praying for a positive result for you Tree. Glad your wife was able to uncover these facts. You earned it, you deserve it.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Thanks! I do! The Government put these rules and guidelines there because they think so too! Just, for whatever reasons, the people in the system failed to fully evaluate me back in 1995. Hopefully that will get fully rectified in my favor this time around. With full back pay all the way to 1995. If it works out that way, I will be happy. I'll just look at it as having been a forced savings plan. With 0 interest. Looking back, there is no way I would have saved up this kind of money if I had gotten it all along. We would have spent it. Raising 3 kids, along with all the other issues we have had over the years, we would have spent it all, not saved it.

So yeah, if we get it all back paid, it will be all good.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Like I said the other night congrats

Now, I put my Veteran Service Rep hat on ... Go get a representative agency in your area as your POA. You will need it. - If you lived in Oklahoma I think I may know a good VSR office to help you ;) - however with you in MO my office can't be the POA. Ask around there with other veterans. See which Office is good to go and which is weak water. Also, just because say DAV was good in AZ, it doesn't mean they will be there in MO, so if you had a POA back in A you may still want to change it there in MA. Again ask around (and aoid what is said at the American Legion or VFW bars every Friday night ...

You'll need a POA because now that your wife is a VA worker all your claim issues will be handled in St Paul, and that is a mixed bag ...

After you get a POA, take all emotions out of the claim/process, emotions with the VA can lead you astray. It is all red tape and comparing beans. If your bean isn't the perfect by the reg match, you will have to get the evidence needed to make it more perfectly the bean they are looking for. Emotions there will just make you mad an mess up your chance at winning. And, if you are ever pushing a claim item just 'on the principal of it' it will be more time effort and frustration than it is worth. However, if you can get the needed evidence you can win (eventually)

Then know that some things are not winnable at the rater level (ever), and almost never winnable at the DRO, but a judge has the spirit of the law instead the letter of the law (and the VA manual summarizing the law) so it is easier to win there. However, with that, be ready for 3 - 5 + years to be in front of a judge.

Ok, taking off my VSR hat ... again congrats and good luck.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The biggest contention for me, in my case, is they only rated me for two issues, ever. There are something like a half dozen issues they should have rated me on since day 1. Then there are a number of other directly related issues that over the years could have increased my over all rating. So the big thing for me at this point, is to fully rate all my issues directly caused and related to the Service Related issue they rated me on back in 1995, that existed in 1995. Which are all very well documented in my Military Medical Records.

Secondary to that, is finding out what effect adding on all the additional issues that have developed since then, as a result of my issues, will have on my over all rating.

Another potential biggie is the other non VA program that came into existence in 2004.

Considering how much this can all add up to, I will be more than happy to fight for up to 6 years if that is what it takes.

Thanks for the luck, we both know I will need it to get the VA to do right by me.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Glad to hear things are looking to improve for you financially, but I'm sorry to hear you've been getting screwed for so many years. Still, it's not as bad as Greedo shooting first.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

One ray turns into millions if the right prism is used.

Or, it just becomes much more focused.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

This won't get an initial ruling this month. Hopefully in the next 60 days, though.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Treebore wrote:This won't get an initial ruling this month. Hopefully in the next 60 days, though.
Good luck Robert!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Kayolan wrote:
Treebore wrote:This won't get an initial ruling this month. Hopefully in the next 60 days, though.
Good luck Robert!

Rgr that
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society