Forums Link on Main Page

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Forums Link on Main Page

Post by alcyone »

If you click Forums in the menu on the Trolllord.com site now, it goes to Knights of the Crusade.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Forums Link on Main Page

Post by Traveller »

This came up in an email discussion I had with Steve the other day. They want people to use the KotC forums, so the link was changed. I've been told that these forums will stay open, but I personally believe (and will tell Steve this) that with the KotC forums up and running, these forums should be set to read only.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Do you think the KotC forums are in their present state a viable replacement for a full-featured forum like phpBB?

Or maybe that's not the point.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

From appearances, the Knights of the Crusade forums are using Drupal instead of PHPBB. You get the essentials there, bold and italic, line spacing, bullets, hyperlinks and images. That's all most of us use anyway, so yes, I'd say it's a viable replacement in its current state.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

My concerns are things like subfora, use of the full screen real estate, topic subscriptions, decent private mailbox message management, full text search etc.
Anyway, hope it works out.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Wait, so these forums are being closed ????

Will they be moved into the new one so we can search for the old info old game notes, old house brew rules etc, or is this just going to die on the vine?

Also, will the forum be expanded to have the different forums - On-line games, Victorious, Monsters, etc etc etc - that we have here ?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Lurker wrote:Wait, so these forums are being closed ????

Will they be moved into the new one so we can search for the old info old game notes, old house brew rules etc, or is this just going to die on the vine?

Also, will the forum be expanded to have the different forums - On-line games, Victorious, Monsters, etc etc etc - that we have here ?
So far, no, they aren't being closed, but for some time Stephen has wanted to move the main conversation and content to the C&C Society site, which is not just a forum, but a complete content management system.

Many of us here are pretty stubborn though, so maybe as Traveller states, the best thing is to make this read-only: we can continue to grab content from here but also start uploading anything important to that site.

All that has happened so far is the link on the main TLG page that says "Forums" no longer goes here, but there. It's not the only way people find this site, but some new people will end up going to the Society area instead, and I guess it is hoped, will go on to run or play in convention games, contribute content, and move the conversation there. So right now, if you want those newest players to hear what you are saying, you probably need to say it in two places.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Also, if you have never checked out knightsofthecrusade.com and signed up, you should. It's built on a programmable base so even if it's not 100% right now it theoretically could become so. And even if the forums don't close in the near future, it looks like it's where the Trolls want to go.

Revturkey
Mist Elf

Post by Revturkey »

I’m cursed :) Last time I joined these forums it all got redone shortly after and I only just got around to re-joining and now...they are moving it all lol...oh well. I’d better not join KotC because it will get closed down!

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. By all that is holy, if this forum is moved, I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Have to say, although I've been a member over there for a few years, I'm not in favor of a move.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Let's keep in mind too that part of the impetus to move the focus over to the Society page is due to having more functions over all to utilize. The Trolls are also looking at the possibility of being able to run online games from there in the future though that is only a concept at the moment. The move has been being discussed for several months and is not a flash idea.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

So who do I talk to about getting a Victorious forum over there?

GM Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

DMMike wrote:So who do I talk to about getting a Victorious forum over there?

GM Mike
Request has been submitted. :)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Wow, that was easy... Maybe this new forum will be better?

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I'm going to miss this place :(

I understand why it's being done but I wonder if it's going to be a positive move. I hope this doesn't detract from what we've already established here and that we don't see a drop in posters.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Kayolan wrote:I'm going to miss this place :(

I understand why it's being done but I wonder if it's going to be a positive move. I hope this doesn't detract from what we've already established here and that we don't see a drop in posters.
I'll never become a Maukling.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Aergraith wrote: I'll never become a Maukling.
There goes our post counts :shock:

Back to being a skobbit? :D

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Aergraith wrote:

I'll never become a Maukling.
I'm right there with you!

However, look at it this way, for once, for maybe 5 min, we will have the same post count as Tree Serl et al ... ;)

Rgr, I've been here for over 10 years, so yeah there is a nostalgia factor . Plus, there is a decade of ideas talks house rules and so much more here

However, the change may be for the better, especially if the knight forum does have more usefulness. Also, it will be a plus if the move does get others / newer guys to joint post and submit material . With that I don't want to sound anti move, but it will be a bit sad at least.

For the best of both worlds, if once it is moved, if we can move the old posts from here to there. I do remember an old set of forum that we moved from but old posts were moved to here, ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

1374 (Chaucer) ~

"All good things must come to an end"!

:cry:
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Sad to lose this place. I like old-school style boards and hate it when they get replaced by "better" ones.

Will I still be a moderator there? Will I know how to moderate anything? First I've heard of the move. :(

EDIT: Well went to the main TLG page. (1) I had forgotten how much I liked the old storefront better. (2) I was unable to find the button that leads to the other forum, so maybe I'll never get there. Old guy doesn't react to change well. :(
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Finally found it, but don't like the new forum layout much. Guess I'm one of those old guys who may be left behind. :(
Marv / Finarvyn

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It makes sense to centralize. All I can say is Facebook and G+ SUCK for what we do here.

If you want a high post count, all you have to do is what I do, participate in conversations and run games, so you have lots of questions to answer and info to post.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I also learned with our last board transfer that if I see anything I think is cool, copy it and make your own doc of it. So I already have most, if not all, of Serl's ideas and other sets of house rules I found of interest copied to my computers. I even have old customized character sheets and the like. Like the Character Sheet Wulfgarn made for our game back before he switched over to other games, such as the new Hackmaster and Dark Heresy, etc...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I can't say as I a big fan of the KotC forums. But if that's where they want us to go, I guess that's where we go. It would be nice if they had sub forums for things like on-line games. That's primarily where I post things.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:I can't say as I a big fan of the KotC forums. But if that's where they want us to go, I guess that's where we go. It would be nice if they had sub forums for things like on-line games. That's primarily where I post things.

R-

Its definitely a different format, so feels odd, but I am sure that will drop into the background once we grow accustomed to it. Todd says they are working on understanding what the site can and cannot handle, but it should, eventually, have everything we want/need on it.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Wow, I had forgot all about it. Only recently remembered because I got an email saying I had been approved. Guess someone either didn't want me there (legit), or was too busy to see the request (also legit and maybe more likely.)

Have not logged in to check. Guess I should make sure I have a password.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:Wow, I had forgot all about it. Only recently remembered because I got an email saying I had been approved. Guess someone either didn't want me there (legit), or was too busy to see the request (also legit and maybe more likely.)

Have not logged in to check. Guess I should make sure I have a password.
No, it was some kind of restart, transfer, or some such. We should have all gotten that e-mail. Well, those of us who were signed up prior. I've been a member since 2015, and I got the e-mail your talking about.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Any plans to make the site secured?

Doesn't seem like https:// works.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I got the e-mail, but assumed that it was someone trying to hack into my account. You know when you lose a password and they send a verify e-mail to your registered account -- well I just assumed someone had tried to access mine. Didn't think much about it after that.
Marv / Finarvyn

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

hmmm .... guess i should bookmark the new forums... I wonder if they tried to auto import all the user or what that was I also got email about approval at the new forum but I also already had an account.

Now in theory there is no reason why the content here can't be put into the new forum. In fact it would be a hell of a lot easier then what I did last time. This time we have direct access the database / and or backup file which removes half the work, all that is really needed is an inserter but not sure if they want that or not.