Bladerunner 2049

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Bladerunner 2049

Post by Rhuvein »

More from Ridley (sort of) - he's not directing but it's his child.

Who's in?

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/two-haunti ... 33595.html
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Re: Bladerunner 2049

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Ok so I realize this will be like blasphemy but I'm not really looking forward to this. I didn't really like the original all that much. It made a great screen saver -- visually really interesting -- but as a film it just had all kinds of problems. I hope the sequel will be better but the trailer leaves me doubtful.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Whoa, thanks for the mention of the trailer. I posted this while on the way to work and didn't completely scroll down to the bottom - which mentions that Edward James Olmos is in the movie!! He is so excellent.

Trailer looked OK.

I don't know enough about the director or script yet, but I'll have to read up.

I enjoyed the original very much, but that was because of the supporting cast rather than Ford. Rutgar Hauer is so bad assed evil and scary.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Love Blade Runner. It makes a lot more sense if you read the source material, as there are a lot of seemingly offhanded comments in the movie that are given context in the book. Veeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy skeptical of the new movie. But, I liked Tron: Legacy, so maybe there's hope for this one as well. Not gonna get my hopes up. Cinematic sci-fi has been complete ass lately.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm in. Book me Gaff.

~⊙
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Hehe. Yeah, hopefully some cool, clever and puzzling origami!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Gringnr wrote:Love Blade Runner. It makes a lot more sense if you read the source material, as there are a lot of seemingly offhanded comments in the movie that are given context in the book. Veeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy skeptical of the new movie. But, I liked Tron: Legacy, so maybe there's hope for this one as well. Not gonna get my hopes up. Cinematic sci-fi has been complete ass lately.
For sure. Tis time, methinks to re-read the great PK Dick!

I think I read the book in '77, OMGosh.

:P

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Gringnr wrote:Cinematic sci-fi has been complete ass lately.
The tidal wave scene in Interstellar was pretty bad ass, though.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Gringnr wrote:Cinematic sci-fi has been complete ass lately.
The tidal wave scene in Interstellar was pretty bad ass, though.

Any scene in which Jared Leto dies gets a thumbs up from me.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Gringnr wrote:Love Blade Runner. It makes a lot more sense if you read the source material, as there are a lot of seemingly offhanded comments in the movie that are given context in the book. Veeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy skeptical of the new movie. But, I liked Tron: Legacy, so maybe there's hope for this one as well. Not gonna get my hopes up. Cinematic sci-fi has been complete ass lately.
The only parts I liked about the movie besides the outstanding set design were the nods to the original novel. Someday I hope to see a movie that really captures that particular novel because it is absolutely brilliant and the themes are totally apropos to our times. Bladerunner is embarrassingly misogynistic. Cringe worthy then and even worse now. The characterization was absolutely flat which could have been a good thing considering some of the themes but Scott didn't quite make it work. The pacing -- boring. A person could get up, do the laundry and come back without really missing anything. The movie turned out to be visually influential and sparked a a lot of book sales for Dick's estate but I think it is WAY overrated as a film.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I will watch it but not until after it has left the theater. Simply because I rarely watch a movie in the theater these days... for a host of reasons.

But, I expect it won't be as bad (or good) as Johnny Mnemonic.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Penny-Whistle wrote:
The only parts I liked about the movie besides the outstanding set design were the nods to the original novel. Someday I hope to see a movie that really captures that particular novel because it is absolutely brilliant and the themes are totally apropos to our times. Bladerunner is embarrassingly misogynistic. Cringe worthy then and even worse now. The characterization was absolutely flat which could have been a good thing considering some of the themes but Scott didn't quite make it work. The pacing -- boring. A person could get up, do the laundry and come back without really missing anything. The movie turned out to be visually influential and sparked a a lot of book sales for Dick's estate but I think it is WAY overrated as a film.

Hmmm, I shall have to re-watch the movie, bearing your criticisms in mind.

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

The director also did Sicario and Arrival, which are amazing films that also show his ability to handle a range of genres. I'm looking forward to giving the new Blade Runner a fair shot.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

I saw it and I liked it!

I'm not a hardcore fan of the original, though, so I didn't mind that it was a stylistically very different film. It definitely resembles Sicario and Arrival more than it does any Ridley Scott film. A lot more time spent on simple environments, feeling constant danger around every corner, the soundtrack being more for mental effect than for distinctive melody. But it still has some scenes of Ridley Scott's busy, cramped, noisy cyberpunk vision. And it definitely has a lot of stuff to offer to fans of the original.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Definitely liked it. I appreciate the slow world-building of the pace to this movie.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

It's been a solid 20-30 years since I saw the original. Do I need to rewatch it in order to enjoy the new movie?
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Haven't seen Sicario, but I saw the Arrival and Prisoners and found them to be...meh. Seeing Blade Runner 2049 tomorrow, praying it doesn't suck.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Buttmonkey wrote:It's been a solid 20-30 years since I saw the original. Do I need to rewatch it in order to enjoy the new movie?
The new movie does reference the original Blade Runner in a few significant places. However, not seeing the original will not hamper watching BR2049. The plot points from the original are explained in the new film as needed. Not mandatory in any way, but see the original for maximum impact of the story's ties to the original.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Great comments!

Looking forward to seeing the movie, but as always - I'll wait for the Blu-ray release.

[Just got Alien: Covenant ~ hope to watch in the next day or two]

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I liked the concept of the original better than the actual movie. The cast was impressive, but somehow the movie came off a little weird. The book was also kind of strange.

I'll probably go see the sequel when I get a chance.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rhuvein wrote:Great comments!

Looking forward to seeing the movie, but as always - I'll wait for the Blu-ray release.

Show off, Braggart ! ;)

I missed seeing it in the theater, and haven't had a chance to get a copy yet ...

I did try and convince my 9 year old daughter to see Bladerunner or the little movie about the clown with a red balloon last weekend, but for some reason she picked Lego Ninja ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Lurker wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Great comments!

Show off, Braggart ! ;)

I missed seeing it in the theater, and haven't had a chance to get a copy yet ...

I did try and convince my 9 year old daughter to see Bladerunner or the little movie about the clown with a red balloon last weekend, but for some reason she picked Lego Ninja ...
The movie is excellent, get it! Hmm, I'll post up more in my Alien/Cov thread.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Going to wait for this to come out on home video, in no hurry to watch it for some reason.

Mcgarrah
Henchman

Post by Mcgarrah »

Kayrolan wrote:Going to wait for this to come out on home video, in no hurry to watch it for some reason.
I loved this movie. One of the rare occasions when something lived up to the hype, at least for me.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Kayolan wrote:Going to wait for this to come out on home video, in no hurry to watch it for some reason.
Me too, but not because I'm not a hurry. I just don't enjoy the live movie theater experience anymore (although I have been wanting to try one of the drink/eat/couch movie houses).

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Mcgarrah wrote:I loved this movie. One of the rare occasions when something lived up to the hype, at least for me.
Glad to hear it. Just watched the trailer again and it was spectacular - so one always hopes the movie will be a good as the trailer that shows some of the great scenes and action!

:)

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Trailer 2 ~ lots of short clips/potential spoilers . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZOaI_Fn5o4