Worst fantasy movie ...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
old school gamer
Red Cap

Re: Worst fantasy movie ...

Post by old school gamer »

jdizzy001 wrote:Legend. So bad it was good! That film was Sheguru Miyamoto's source material for Legend of Zelda. Jokes aside, Dragonslayer was awful!
It did have the scene where we got to see the creation of a magic weapon.

Dorf the Dwarf
Mist Elf

Post by Dorf the Dwarf »

maximus wrote:The first Dungeons and Dragons movie. Someone should have been arrested for involving Tom Baker in that mess.
Still, I find the second and third movie to be delightful.

Dorf the Dwarf
Mist Elf

Post by Dorf the Dwarf »

Scorpion King - the sequel. The second "Beastmaster", "Red Sonja"!

Greyblade
Hlobane Orc

Post by Greyblade »

Lurker wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:36 am
Right now my vote is The never ending story ...

My wife decided to put it in for the girls tonight for Saturday evening movie knight . She complained that I have the girls watch Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, star dust, & Princess bride to often .

I had forgotten how much I disliked this movie. I can't say specifically why I dislike it so, but it just rubs me the wrong way .... bad story, bad ideas, bad effects, .... Even as I watch it I want to re-like it , need for imagination or face nothing etc etc etc. But I just can't force myself to like it ...

So to make it interesting, what movie do you all dislike
It has aged terribly
Personally I absolutely loathe 300
Durka durka Muhammad djihad

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

My wife insisted we watch Cinderella II: Dreams Come True. I died.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

You know, I think my problem is that if a movie looks bad I don't even bother to try it. I guess in that sense I'm a "judge a book by its cover" kind of guy, and only the ones that make it through the cover test (or the preview test) even enter my brain as a movie for discussion. For example, my sister gave me a movie years ago and said it was so bad I had to watch it. I have it on my shelf, still unwatched. I guess my time is too valuable to waste on something that I already think will be a stinker. So, lots of the ones mentioned in the thread are such that I can say that I never saw them.

"Ice Pirates" is a clear stinker, but not at the time. Saw it in the movie theatre, loved it at the time, bought a DVD of it because of this thread, had a hard time getting through the whole thing. Bad jokes seemed funny at the time, seem painful now. Labyrinth is a great movie, but it does seem a little creepy to me at 50+ in ways that I never thought about when I was in my teens.

I guess if it's a move that made an actual run at the movie theatres it is probably too well done to count on this thread. :D
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Ancalagon wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:31 am
spudeus wrote:The LOTR films had a sense of care and passion behind them - the Hobbit trilogy by comparison felt like a bloated cash-out. If LOTR had never existed, maybe the Hobbit would've gotten a better reception? Same could be said for the Star Wars prequels. . .
I seriously dislike the Hobbit films.
Just awful.
If PJ had gotten rid of most of the CGI for the orcs and such, and used live actors in makeup (like we got in the LotR) movies … well, I could have forgiven almost everything else in the Hobbit trilogy. The CGI gave too much of a cartoony aspect and just ruined the feel of the movies, for me at least.

Fundamentally, I think that the Hobbit movies blended well with the LotR movies. I liked the tie-in material that blended the storylines and led a viewer into the LotR movies. I liked the fact that the dwarves ended up with different personalities (in Tolkien's book I felt you had Thorin and Bombur and a bunch of indistinguishable other dwarves). I loved the way that Smaug was done in the movies. I didn't even have a problem with the elf-dwarf thing.

I just thought that most of the goblin/orc CGI was bad and should have been done to be similar to LotR. :|
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

finarvyn wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:41 pm
Ancalagon wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:31 am
spudeus wrote:The LOTR films had a sense of care and passion behind them - the Hobbit trilogy by comparison felt like a bloated cash-out. If LOTR had never existed, maybe the Hobbit would've gotten a better reception? Same could be said for the Star Wars prequels. . .
I seriously dislike the Hobbit films.
Just awful.
If PJ had gotten rid of most of the CGI for the orcs and such, and used live actors in makeup (like we got in the LotR) movies … well, I could have forgiven almost everything else in the Hobbit trilogy. The CGI gave too much of a cartoony aspect and just ruined the feel of the movies, for me at least.

Fundamentally, I think that the Hobbit movies blended well with the LotR movies. I liked the tie-in material that blended the storylines and led a viewer into the LotR movies. I liked the fact that the dwarves ended up with different personalities (in Tolkien's book I felt you had Thorin and Bombur and a bunch of indistinguishable other dwarves). I loved the way that Smaug was done in the movies. I didn't even have a problem with the elf-dwarf thing.

I just thought that most of the goblin/orc CGI was bad and should have been done to be similar to LotR. :|
Agreed, the goblins/orcs were terrible. So was just about everything else though. I understand trying to fill in some of the missing info that Gandalf reveals later, but not 2 full movies worth. Gandalf was portrayed as a weakling and in need of rescue by the White Council. There is no basis for this in the books. Radagast was played as a sloppy fool; really, rabbits pulling a sled and bird shit in his hair? Awful. I did like the portrayal of Smaug, but the whole ballista bolt was unnecessary. The last straw was the giant worms somehow transported from the Dune universe.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

maximus wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:16 pm

Agreed, the goblins/orcs were terrible. So was just about everything else though. I understand trying to fill in some of the missing info that Gandalf reveals later, but not 2 full movies worth. Gandalf was portrayed as a weakling and in need of rescue by the White Council. There is no basis for this in the books. Radagast was played as a sloppy fool; really, rabbits pulling a sled and bird shit in his hair? Awful. I did like the portrayal of Smaug, but the whole ballista bolt was unnecessary. The last straw was the giant worms somehow transported from the Dune universe.
Rgr that !

I just rewatched it with the girls and I'd forgotten how annoyed I was with the movies

Smaug is the best part by far. that and the depiction of dwarf gold greed was good.

However, like you said, rabbits pulling a sled for a daft bird poop covered old fool, worms digging through the mountains, the ballista bolt instead of an arrow, and all is not the Hobbit I read.

Plus, the elf dwarf love, and then the inconstancy on travel - the elves spying the orcs in a keep hundreds of miles NNW of Mirkwood, and then at the battle to save the day really annoyed me

That said, the girls liked it -for it on its own and not being tied to the book - so my dislikes still don't put it as one of my 'worst' movies.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

old school gamer
Red Cap

Buttmonkey wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:27 pm
spudeus wrote:Is there hate for Dragonslayer on this thread?! Decent acting, good story, and in my mind hands-down the best dragon ever envisioned for the screen.

I might go with that old standby Krull - totally flat performances, misfired effects, slow pace, just a hard slog.

Honorable mention, though, to Jackson's Hobbit trilogy. In terms of budget and expectations vs. results. . . well I'm sure we all remember how much we enjoyed the elf/dwarf forbidden romance subplot.
I could spend all day riffing off this post. I never cared for Dragonslayer. I found it slow-paced and disappointing as a kid. It didn't hold up to the sort of fantasy excitement I expected after playing D&D. I much preferred Krull.

Sadly, the forbidden dwarf/elf romance was about the only think I enjoyed in the 2nd and 3rd hobbit films. The guy playing Bilbo did some wonderful acting, but Bilbo frankly wasn't that central a character after the first movie. If you took Evangeline Lily out of the last two movies, I probably would have walked out or fallen asleep. I really hated the Hobbit films I suppose is my overall point.
When it stuck with the book it was good, what killed the Hobbit movies was that they were movies, as in plural, just by sticking to the book they could have made one movie!

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

PJ ruined the Hobbit with that trilogy. The last 2 rank among the worst ever.

ThomasGrey
Henchman

Post by ThomasGrey »

ethanaideniess wrote:
Fri Nov 07, 2459 9:04 am
Lurkers wrote:Right now my vote is The never ending story ...

My wife decided to try phentermine alternatives and compared them here put it in for the girls tonight for Saturday evening movie knight . She complained that I have the girls watch Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, star dust, & Princess bride to often .

I had forgotten how much I disliked this movie. I can't say why I dislike it so, but it just rubs me the wrong way .... bad story, bad ideas, bad effects, .... Even as I watch it I want to re-like it , need for imagination or face nothing etc etc etc. But I just can't force myself to like it ...

So to make it interesting, what movie do you all dislike
Scorpion King and Son of the Mask.
Both were bad ideas and unbearable effects.
I don't know why such movies are being made. To tell you the truth,
I had a lot of expectations with Son of the Mask, but it was a disaster.
Rollerball is in this list somewhere – but how high did it reach? Bad sci-fi and fantasy movies aren't merely the province of low-budget

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

My family having owned and operated a video store chain for nearly a decade in my HS and early college years I feel rather safe in saying there are more garbage movies out there than decent ones...and I had to suffer thru them to verify bad/damaged spots in the VCR cassettes when reported (shudders). A major reason I prefer anime to movies anymore...though given the decline in writing something with an actual plot vs just a bunch of action packed and/or sexualized gore fests...even anime has had little going for it over the last two decades.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The Bastard Sword has got to be in the top 20, at minimum, but probably in top 10. I couldn't finish it and it put my wife to sleep.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

serleran wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:11 am
The Bastard Sword has got to be in the top 20, at minimum, but probably in top 10. I couldn't finish it and it put my wife to sleep.
Hadn't heard of this one, but on the surface it looks like a stinker.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Based on the trailer; I'd give The Bastard Sword a C- at best...likely a D. Bad make-up, so-so acting, garbage sword play (bad choreography overall really) and cheap effects. Obviously done without anything resembling a budget. Concept...not quite overly cliche. Not quite as bad as some of those that look like they were filmed in a garage with costuming by Good Will...but not far from 'em. Sadly, I've actually seen worse...even if only marginally.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:39 am
Based on the trailer; I'd give The Bastard Sword a C- at best...likely a D. Bad make-up, so-so acting, garbage sword play (bad choreography overall really) and cheap effects. Obviously done without anything resembling a budget. Concept...not quite overly cliche. Not quite as bad as some of those that look like they were filmed in a garage with costuming by Good Will...but not far from 'em. Sadly, I've actually seen worse...even if only marginally.
Yea, that trailer looks bad. Hard pass on this one.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

maximus wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:12 pm
Go0gleplex wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:39 am
Yea, that trailer looks bad. Hard pass on this one.
Just watched the trailer and .... yeah that does not look good at all !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

old school gamer
Red Cap

finarvyn wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:32 pm
You know, I think my problem is that if a movie looks bad I don't even bother to try it. I guess in that sense I'm a "judge a book by its cover" kind of guy, and only the ones that make it through the cover test (or the preview test) even enter my brain as a movie for discussion. For example, my sister gave me a movie years ago and said it was so bad I had to watch it. I have it on my shelf, still unwatched. I guess my time is too valuable to waste on something that I already think will be a stinker. So, lots of the ones mentioned in the thread are such that I can say that I never saw them.

"Ice Pirates" is a clear stinker, but not at the time. Saw it in the movie theatre, loved it at the time, bought a DVD of it because of this thread, had a hard time getting through the whole thing. Bad jokes seemed funny at the time, seem painful now. Labyrinth is a great movie, but it does seem a little creepy to me at 50+ in ways that I never thought about when I was in my teens.

I guess if it's a move that made an actual run at the movie theatres it is probably too well done to count on this thread. :D
David Bowie playing with his balls in front of a teenage Jennifer Connely is disturbing.

old school gamer
Red Cap

I just recently watched Dragonslayer and I actually really liked it. It had a low fantasy movie feel and you get the sense of a passing age of magic leaving the world and being pushed out my Christianity. The whole thing about a King using a lottery to appease the Dragon instead of killing was done well.

Vermithax was also very impressive for the FX at the time.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Yea, Dragonslayer was a good example of a dragon that was more animalistic in nature; powerful, but not undefeatable.

librahappy
Henchman

Post by librahappy »

old school gamer wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:56 pm
I just recently watched Dragonslayer and I actually really liked it. It had a low fantasy movie feel and you get the sense of a passing age of magic leaving the world and five ways how to get rid of man moobs being pushed out my Christianity. The whole thing about a King using a lottery to appease the Dragon instead of killing was done well.

Yeah both movie are very good fantasy movies.
I love Star Dust also it is a very good fantasy movie. I watch it more then ten times.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

librahappy wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:31 am
old school gamer wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:56 pm
I just recently watched Dragonslayer and I actually really liked it. It had a low fantasy movie feel and you get the sense of a passing age of magic leaving the world and five ways how to get rid of man moobs being pushed out my Christianity. The whole thing about a King using a lottery to appease the Dragon instead of killing was done well.

Yeah both movie are very good fantasy movies.
I love Star Dust also it is a very good fantasy movie. I watch it more then ten times.
Rgr, I love Star Dust. I put it up there with Princess Bride as great fantasy movies.

If I was to run a 'high magic' setting I would used it as a huge influence on the setting / feel of the game ! Flying ships, a ship that sells 'canned lightning' , charms that stop magic, love causing quests, etc ALL great fodder for high magic high fantasy game.

C&C Society