Going to be building my first computer...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Going to be building my first computer...

Post by Treebore »

One of the first things I discovered upon returning home from my procedure a few weeks ago was that my Desktop had died. I thought about having it fixed, but then when I found out I was likely looking at $200 to $300 for doing that, I just bought a new one, which finally got here yesterday. I found out, despite it being a high end desktop, it only had 2 RAM slots, so I was not going to be able to use my 4 8 GB sticks to upgrade it. It was also a "mini" tower, so to put two HD's in there, as well as my Invidia 980 video card, was going to be a very snug fit, and likely have heat issues.

So my eldest son, who was doing the actual work, because, you know, I feel like crap, suggested, "Hey, since you already have so many components you want to use in a new computer, why not just build your own?" So we went to NewEgg and used their "building program" to get everything else, for a few hundred less than I would have bought a entirely new system for, with top end components instead of the minimum quality components I would have gotten in the "factory built" system. Plus I went ahead and upgraded my RAM to DDR-4.

Since I did not buy a HD or Graphics card, or DVD drive or WiFi (Already had really good ones) I doubt New Egg will build it for me, but who knows, the may install the components I did order in the chassis for me. I hope they don't, because that will slow down their actually shipping it to me by up to 7 days. Its not like I don't know the basics for doing it, I worked on plenty of electronic cards, power supplies, etc... when I was in the Navy to know to ground myself, etc....
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Going to be building my first computer...

Post by Buttmonkey »

Very bad ass. Good luck!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

I've been think about that as well. Let us know how it goes!

Harlock
Ungern

Post by Harlock »

"Rolling your own" can be very rewarding, and instructive. Grounding yourself isn't the biggest issue in my experience. It's cutting your hands on that #$%! stamped sheet metal in those narrow spaces. Best of luck!
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay
Nov. 5, 1948 – March 9, 2007
B/X, B4, X2 - You were D&D to me

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Harlock wrote:"Rolling your own" can be very rewarding, and instructive. Grounding yourself isn't the biggest issue in my experience. It's cutting your hands on that #$%! stamped sheet metal in those narrow spaces. Best of luck!
I got a BIG chassis! So hopefully there won't be any tight spaces.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
Harlock wrote:"Rolling your own" can be very rewarding, and instructive. Grounding yourself isn't the biggest issue in my experience. It's cutting your hands on that #$%! stamped sheet metal in those narrow spaces. Best of luck!
I got a BIG chassis! ....

Bragging does not become you ! ;) ..... :lol:

Good luck with it. I've thought about building one myself, but I'm more of a cut wood and weld metal kind of DIYer, nott tiny fragile expensive electronic kind of work.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Just do not end up with HAL or Skynet. :P
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Don;t hate on HAL, the computer was just following its instructions. :) (skynet on the other hand is scary, do not put random chips you find half burned in the parking lot into your system to see what it does)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:

Good luck with it. I've thought about building one myself, but I'm more of a cut wood and weld metal kind of DIYer, nott tiny fragile expensive electronic kind of work.
I bet you could do it. Watch a video or two on youtube about building your own, I think you will find it easy enough.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:

I bet you could do it. Watch a video or two on youtube about building your own, I think you will find it easy enough.
Do they even get YouTube in OK?

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

mgtremaine wrote:Don;t hate on HAL, the computer was just following its instructions. :) (skynet on the other hand is scary, do not put random chips you find half burned in the parking lot into your system to see what it does)
ERB of History: Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates. HAL definitely has a few things to say beyond his programming. ;)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:

R-

Of course we do, but it is called you'all tube :lol:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Lurker wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-

Now that's funny!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Finally have it assembled and it turns on without producing smoke. Plus the BIOS looked good. Only problem was the liquid coolant system for the CPU would not fit, so I have to return that and get an alternative. Using the standard CPU fan in the mean time.

Tomorrow I will work on getting all the BIOS set up correctly so I can install the OS and all the other programs I need. Then I can install my second (SATA) HD.

The hybrid already showed me with just the BIOS how much quicker an SSD HD is. I look forward to seeing how it is with all the software installed. According to what I read my computer should start up in under 40 seconds from now on. Rather than the two to three minutes it took with my old purely SATA HD.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Lurker wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-

:lol:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My new SSD HD/SATA hybrid started up at exactly one minute with Updates installed. SSD's are defintely good for faster start ups!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

With no Windows updates involved, from pushing the on botton to seeing my Desktop takes 30 seconds. Far faster start up than my old SATA HD.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

You guys turn off your computers?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

mmbutter wrote:You guys turn off your computers?
Yeah, at least every couple of days. Plus during storms.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

I turn my laptop off when I'm travelling. That's about it.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I turn mine off whenever I'm not using it, which is basically all the time. I don't like laptops. Don't really like tablets, either, but those drain all the time so I tend to just leave them "charging."

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

serleran wrote:I turn mine off whenever I'm not using it, which is basically all the time. I don't like laptops. Don't really like tablets, either, but those drain all the time so I tend to just leave them "charging."

Rgr that, now can you convince my wife of that ....

C&C Society