Fantasy Writing

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
KaiserKris
Red Cap

Fantasy Writing

Post by KaiserKris »

Anyone here turned their hand towards writing? I figure with the number of players and CKs around here, someone's at least considered it ...

narpet
Red Cap

Re: Fantasy Writing

Post by narpet »

I've always wanted to make it a living profession, but have never had the time to truly devote to it. Several years ago I did some contract work for Tabletop Adventures (www.tabletopadventures.com). I wrote pieces for their "Bits" and "Shards" books. I think I wrote for 5 or 6 of the books. My favorite was "The Mother of All Treasure Tables", because it was picked up by Necromancer Games and published in hardback. It was fun getting my copy and seeing my name in the credits.

Life has kept me from getting "serious" about it. It involves taking a leap that would mean stopping what I do now (Director at a very busy snack bar manufacturer), because I spend 10 to 12 hours a day knee deep in business.

Oh, to dream.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I scribble down stories or parts of stories because I feel inspired to do so occasionally. Not as often as I used to. Never gotten any fiction published, however.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Alternate History stuff published as part of a couple wargames. No actual fiction as in stories.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Kersus
Red Cap

Post by Kersus »

I have kept most of my more personal stuff to myself because I figure it's garbage, so I posted even worse stuff at http://www.furiouslyeclectic.com/fiction and welcome criticisms. There isn't a whole lot there, but it's a start.
Join the scorn. Don't hate us as the home of the SCHWA RPG. Hate us because we're Furiously Eclectic. Be wildly multifarious on our dime.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

I've published some fiction on kindel and I have a manuscript in the middle of a rewrite. However, I got wrapped up in working on a master's degree. Now I'm posturing for a PhD so the manuscript has been on the back burner.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Been around. Decided to not accept offers to publish as they did not provide enough return to matter. I've seen my name in print as author. That's all I ever wanted. The fact that I got to work alongside Gary at times... well, that's even better.

Kersus
Red Cap

Post by Kersus »

serleran wrote:Been around. Decided to not accept offers to publish as they did not provide enough return to matter. I've seen my name in print as author. That's all I ever wanted. The fact that I got to work alongside Gary at times... well, that's even better.
It was fun working with that man. What little I did. Usually arguing with him. :)
Join the scorn. Don't hate us as the home of the SCHWA RPG. Hate us because we're Furiously Eclectic. Be wildly multifarious on our dime.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Oh, and to clarify -- I am not referring to TLG when I say there was not enough return. They did alright by me when it came to it.

Zombieman
Skobbit

Post by Zombieman »

So I missed this thread back in August, much to my horror, as I do quite a bit of writing and actually have need of some advice.

Let's say I was working on a fictionalized story covering the A series of modules, where would I post it? On 'The Crusades' board? I have ran various parts of the A series over the years and the book I am working on is loosely based on some of the player's actions, but what I've written is not really a 'session report' and I've changed the names of the player's characters to protect the innocent.

I have thought about posting my work on an outside website as 'fan fiction' and adding in links/copyright notices that point back to the Troll Lords and then maybe posting a link in the 'The Crusades' section too.