FLGS Update

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Spade Marlowe
Ungern

Re: FLGS Update

Post by Spade Marlowe »

Being in WotC's and Paizo's stomping grounds, most of the FLGS' here are loaded with 5E and Pathfinder. That being said, Seattle has a huge gaming community, with plenty of stores. The closest one to me is near UW csmpus, but he has a pretty diverse collection; I actually picked up some C&C and AA stuff there.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Spade Marlowe wrote:Being in WotC's and Paizo's stomping grounds, most of the FLGS' here are loaded with 5E and Pathfinder. That being said, Seattle has a huge gaming community, with plenty of stores. The closest one to me is near UW csmpus, but he has a pretty diverse collection; I actually picked up some C&C and AA stuff there.
I used to visit WotC central there near N 45th when they had the Battletech Simulator Pods and Game Center active around the late 80's early 90's Spade and went to Enfilade a few times. My stomping grounds were up between Everett and Bellingham though, not Seattle. Oregon has spit for gaming culture in comparison.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Spade Marlowe
Ungern

Post by Spade Marlowe »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Spade Marlowe wrote:Being in WotC's and Paizo's stomping grounds, most of the FLGS' here are loaded with 5E and Pathfinder. That being said, Seattle has a huge gaming community, with plenty of stores. The closest one to me is near UW csmpus, but he has a pretty diverse collection; I actually picked up some C&C and AA stuff there.
I used to visit WotC central there near N 45th when they had the Battletech Simulator Pods and Game Center active around the late 80's early 90's Spade and went to Enfilade a few times. My stomping grounds were up between Everett and Bellingham though, not Seattle. Oregon has spit for gaming culture in comparison.
I only moved here about 6 years ago, so I missed all of that. Actually grew up in a small town in south central Missouri, talk about spit for gaming culture.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

You're only an hour away from Guardian Games in Portland. Their new location is 10,000 square feet now, with both a general public group of gaming tables and an adult room for games on the monthly beer and pizza night. They can seat 300 people! Even the Portland area Advanced Squad Leader group is using the space for game days. I visited it this past October. I've never seen a game store with more stock. Everything from board games to RPGs, to miniaitures and paint supplies. The woman who runs it loves games and was a great person to interact with when I still lived there. And you know it is a good store, when you see all the Troll Lord products on the shelves! website: http://www.ggportland.com/
Go0gleplex wrote:

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

finarvyn wrote:
Wed May 18, 2016 12:43 am
Agreed. Games Plus is pretty darned awesome, but it's also nearly an hour from my house. The one that is closing is Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove. Much closer.
So I'm in town visiting family and had a few hours to kill last weekend. Took the train from downtown up to Mt. Prospect and checked out Games Plus for the first time in like 25 years. Other than a move across the street, it's still pretty much as I remembered it. Has a huge selection of games and a big gaming area in back. I was looking for mostly old AD&D stuff. They had a good inventory of orange spine hard covers and lots of 2E stuff. Many of their modules were pulled and set to go out to GenCon, but the guy assured me they usually have a good mix. Not much in the way of C&C, but had some interesting FGG choices. All in all it was worth the trip up and back. Too bad Charlotte has nothing like this.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

finarvyn wrote:
The one that is closing is Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove. Much closer.
As an update: Fair Game in Downers Grove did NOT close after all. Indeed, the store is not only healthy but they have expanded to both LaGrange and Geneva. There is now a chain of Fair Game stores. :O
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

finarvyn wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:28 am
finarvyn wrote:
The one that is closing is Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove. Much closer.
As an update: Fair Game in Downers Grove did NOT close after all. Indeed, the store is not only healthy but they have expanded to both LaGrange and Geneva. There is now a chain of Fair Game stores. :O
That's great, appreciate the info. I'll have to check them out next time I'm in town.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

maximus wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:07 pm
finarvyn wrote:
finarvyn wrote:The one that is closing is Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove. Much closer.
Totally forgot about this thread until it re-surfaced recently. Turns out that another buyer came through in the 11th hour and Fair Game did not close. It's thriving under new ownership, and the new guy is willing to consider some non-Adventurer's League role playing so I have to think about what I might want to run there. 8-)
That's good news! May have to check it out when I'm in town next. I'm pretty familiar with the area as I worked at Connie's on Ogden for years.
I loved that Connie's. It had that "broken Roman" vibe with the stone columns and such. We probably ran into each other and never knew it. :)
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

finarvyn wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:28 pm
maximus wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
finarvyn wrote:The one that is closing is Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove. Much closer.
Totally forgot about this thread until it re-surfaced recently. Turns out that another buyer came through in the 11th hour and Fair Game did not close. It's thriving under new ownership, and the new guy is willing to consider some non-Adventurer's League role playing so I have to think about what I might want to run there. 8-)
That's good news! May have to check it out when I'm in town next. I'm pretty familiar with the area as I worked at Connie's on Ogden for years.
I loved that Connie's. It had that "broken Roman" vibe with the stone columns and such. We probably ran into each other and never knew it. :)
Yea, that was a great restaurant. I was close with the owner's family. Worked for them for 15 years or so. The only place they have left is the big location in Chinatown on Archer Ave. Working there was a trip. Quite a bit different than the suburbs for sure.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

maximus wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:20 pm
finarvyn wrote:
maximus wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
Yea, that was a great restaurant. I was close with the owner's family. Worked for them for 15 years or so. The only place they have left is the big location in Chinatown on Archer Ave. Working there was a trip. Quite a bit different than the suburbs for sure.
Wow, this brings me back in time . .

my wife and I met at RR Donnelley & Sons (22nd and King Drive) and we would go to Connie's on 26th street before they moved to the Archer location. Her brother Joe worked at the Archer spot for some years. Besides the great pizza, I remember the many Italian pasta dishes. Hmm, time to get back there soon.
:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Tadhg wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:34 am
maximus wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:20 pm
finarvyn wrote:
maximus wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
Wow, this brings me back in time . .

my wife and I met at RR Donnelley & Sons (22nd and King Drive) and we would go to Connie's on 26th street before they moved to the Archer location. Her brother Joe worked at the Archer spot for some years. Besides the great pizza, I remember the many Italian pasta dishes. Hmm, time to get back there soon.
:)
I knew we had a connection somewhere! Yea the place on 26th and Normal was always packed, thus the move to Archer with a much bigger space. Was a lot of fun, but a lot of hours too. I do remember we had a lot of Donnelley employees as customers for lunch.