FLGS Update

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

FLGS Update

Post by alcyone »

Our FLGS is doing very well, as a comic store, a place to play Warhammer and Magic, for cosplay supplies, but the RPG section is smaller every time I go. It's down to 2 sides of two bookcases now.

Besides Pathfinder and 5e, which each took the side of a shelf, C&C had about 2 kickstarters worth of stuff on the shelves, which was proportionally quite a bit of the remaining space.

They had 2 copies of Gaxmoor, which was the only thing I didn't have yet. I left it there because as cool as it might be, I have run about 1% of the modules I already have.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Re: FLGS Update

Post by jdizzy001 »

Have you run a demo night? When I was actively playing 4e, it took playing a session of dnd followed by cnc to really understand how great the system was to really convert.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

No, I can't see myself doing that.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hmm, I haven't been in my LGS since the F went away a few years ago, but mebbe I'll check it out and see if anything changed.

Oh yeah, there was a FLGS in the mall along with a WH (I think) store some 8 or 9 years ago - haven't been there since then but I should check it out.
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Mine is also a Comic book store first. As far as RPGs go they have mostly 5E, and Pathfinder, with a smattering of leftover 4E stuff. Years ago they carried Hackmaster, but apparently that wasn't selling. They have a huge area to game, but I think it is mostly Magic and Warhammer being played.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

My FLGS is primarily given over to board and non-collectible card games, with a very small selection of RPGs. The entirety of the in-stock RPG selection fits on a 3 shelf rack (about two feet wide). Mostly 5th edition stuff, but a small selection of core books for the current, well-known RPGs (i.e., Pathfinder, GURPS, Shadowrun, Star Wars, One Ring, etc.). There is a single copy of th C&C PHB on the shelf, which the owner ordered after he saw my group playing it in-store. He picked up two of them at the time, one of which he sold to one of my players, the other has been in store for the last year. At least I think it's the same copy. Maybe not?

At any rate, this has kind of been my experience with FLGSs for the past few years. I don't see many stores with tons of product just sitting on a shelf.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My nearest LGS, which is about 55 miles away, has a very nice, broad selection of RPG's, board games, as well as the various card games. So if your ever in Sierra Vista, AZ, I suggest stopping by Ascension games on Fry BLVD, right across the street from where Pyramid Comics and games used to be.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The closest game store to me has decided that professional Frisbee playing is more worthwhile than both Magic and Warhammer. They still have sections, of course, but the former is primarily behind/is the counter and the latter rotates new items and old stuff ends on the 30% off table (which makes it still idiotically priced.) RPGs have one, maybe two, book shelves and mostly A4 style stuff -- the kind of stuff you'd buy from Lulu.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Always nice to see support for C&C in the brick and mortar shops!

Interesting to see that they're carrying cosplay supplies. Haven't seen that in a store yet.

MY FLGS continues to do well. It's actually two different buildings on the same street - one for comics and one for gaming. Nice owners and staff, solid selection. It also doesn't hurt (or at least, only hurts my wallet) that it's only a few minutes' walk from where I work...
Aergraith wrote:Our FLGS is doing very well, as a comic store, a place to play Warhammer and Magic, for cosplay supplies, but the RPG section is smaller every time I go. It's down to 2 sides of two bookcases now.

Besides Pathfinder and 5e, which each took the side of a shelf, C&C had about 2 kickstarters worth of stuff on the shelves, which was proportionally quite a bit of the remaining space.

They had 2 copies of Gaxmoor, which was the only thing I didn't have yet. I left it there because as cool as it might be, I have run about 1% of the modules I already have.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

My FLGS is mostly comics, too, but they've expanded to a lot of board games (and Magic is ever-present). I have to ask them, usually, to get RPG stuff in (except for PF, 5e, and FFG SW, which they always seem to get the new stuff). They're part of a "chain" in the Central Florida area, so they're told what to carry by the bossman. Sometimes the chain-store feel aggrivates me, but I continue to support them since they're local. The people who work there are actually pretty nice folks.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

My FLGS, All Things Fun, closed its doors in February. It was the location of Troll Con East several years ago. They are keeping their other location open, but it is on the base at Fort Dix, so access is for military personnel, etc. I will be stopping by Top Deck Games, which is closer to me, in the future, but they did not carry any TLG material when I was last there.

My dream would be to open a store myself in my town, but that is not feasible.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

I really need to run a game at my FLGS.

I'll be the middle 40s old dude trying to compete against M:tG, 5E, and Warhammer. I don't the store would have much interest in purchasing C&C. I'm assuming the approach is to ask Tim to get some books and such for there.

Are there any C&C posters or anything announcing a game, etc. A long time ago I went to GAMA and received all kinds of material (posters, etc.) to advertise games in stores.

-T1

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I totally forgot about the store that's near my work (and the town I last lived, until 2010). Tiki Tiki Games in Woodbury, NJ, which is moving to a new site a block away as they are expanding in size. That's good news!

http://tikitikigames.com/
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

No more FLGS in my neighborhood. The last one that outlasted everyone else just closed their doors recently. One calls itself a gaming store but is really just a card store. Don't know how long that's going to last either.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I just found out over the weekend that my FLGS has decided to close its doors for good in August. The owner has another job and the stress of running the store has finally gotten to the point where he is just done with the whole thing. Makes me really sad because it's been a weekly hangout spot for me for nearly five years and that kind of thing is hard to replace.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

finarvyn wrote:I just found out over the weekend that my FLGS has decided to close its doors for good in August. The owner has another job and the stress of running the store has finally gotten to the point where he is just done with the whole thing. Makes me really sad because it's been a weekly hangout spot for me for nearly five years and that kind of thing is hard to replace.
That's ashame. I've been gone from Chicago for going on 15 years, but even when I was there I don't remember too many quality gaming stores. Although it was a ride from where I lived, Games Plus up in Mt. Prospect was the best!

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Agreed. Games Plus is pretty darned awesome, but it's also nearly an hour from my house. The one that is closing is Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove. Much closer.
Marv / Finarvyn

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I googled and saw that my LGS is still in business. I'm going to check it out soon to see what they are featuring.

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

finarvyn wrote:Agreed. Games Plus is pretty darned awesome, but it's also nearly an hour from my house. The one that is closing is Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove. Much closer.
I don't remember that one. I used to go to one called Triarco in Yorktown Mall years ago. I think it changed to Granger's before it eventually closed down.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

My FLGS now is down to 2 sides of 1 bookcase, and a couple of tables to hold the 5e books. The rest is board games, comics, and lots of tables to play Warhammer. I think between Drivethru, Kickstarter, and Amazon, we killed it. I didn't look closely but I think all of the TLG stuff is gone, shelf space being premium, and Pathfinder/Starfinder taking most of it.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Have two FLGS left here. One is purely a CCG shop and the other is similar with a side of WH40k and 5e splitting a single set of shelves and that's it for the RPGs. The board games they carry is pretty much the same selection you can find at Target or Walmart.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Honestly, I don't even go to mine. Unfortunately, the selection in Charlotte has always been on the slim side. I get everything I want from Ebay, Amazon, or the Troll Lords store. I am looking forward to my Chicago visit this summer, as I've promised myself a trip to Games Plus, which if memory stands, has the best selection I've ever seen. Used to go there all the time in high school. It was a bit of a drive, but worth it.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'll have to remember to go to Games Plus next time I go up to Chicago. Never been to it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

Treebore wrote:I'll have to remember to go to Games Plus next time I go up to Chicago. Never been to it.
You should. They have a really great selection of used games as well as OSR publishers.

C&C has a pretty healthy presence on the shelves and they seem to pick up 2-3 copies of each new book.

If you can make either the fall or spring auctions- that’s where you can really get some cool deals. I picked up a EPT boxed set super cheap (imo- certainly 50-75% less than ebay or Noble Knight) about two years back.
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

finarvyn wrote:The one that is closing is Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove. Much closer.
Totally forgot about this thread until it re-surfaced recently. Turns out that another buyer came through in the 11th hour and Fair Game did not close. It's thriving under new ownership, and the new guy is willing to consider some non-Adventurer's League role playing so I have to think about what I might want to run there. 8-)
Marv / Finarvyn

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The LGS that is 55 minutes from my home in AZ? Closed. So now the nearest LGS there is 90 minutes away. Here in St Louis, it much better. Between 10 to 25 minutes to 6 different RPG stores.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

finarvyn wrote:
finarvyn wrote:The one that is closing is Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove. Much closer.
Totally forgot about this thread until it re-surfaced recently. Turns out that another buyer came through in the 11th hour and Fair Game did not close. It's thriving under new ownership, and the new guy is willing to consider some non-Adventurer's League role playing so I have to think about what I might want to run there. 8-)
That's good news! May have to check it out when I'm in town next. I'm pretty familiar with the area as I worked at Connie's on Ogden for years.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

I guess I'm pretty lucky that there are two FLGSs within 10 minutes of me. One is more comics focused but does carry RPG stuffs, dice, etc and the other is more board and card game focused with a decent amount of RPG items. I make sure to visit both regularly and contribute to business when possible.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

There's one FLGS near me (about a 20 minute drive), but it never has anything I want. Lots of Pathfinder, a modicum of 5E, lots of board games, and tons of CCGs. The last few times I was in there they had added a small amount of interesting indie stock (e.g., Fiasco, Masks, etc.), but none of the indie stuff I actually want. Very depressing. Thank goodness for the internet.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Have a new FLGS, Legends of Gamers, opening up about an hour north of me. The owner ran the one shop, Ancient Wonders, that was a treasure trove of games and comics before the Hwy Dept cut his access off and his building in half killing the store a couple years back. Will have to go check it out when I have the time and see what the digs and stock are like.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."