Any Robotech fans?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Omote
Battle Stag

Any Robotech fans?

Post by Omote »

Back in my day (about 1990-1994), I played the Robotech RPG weekly, and some times daily for 4+ years. I thuroughly enjoyed the Robotech animated series on TV in the 80's so much that when the RPG came around I had to play. Some of my fondest moments in RPGing are while playing Robotech.

Recently, the first new Robotech animation was released in 20 years! This new Robotech animation is called The Shadow Chronicles and has my Robotech juices flowing once again! The new animation adds on to the space opera that began in 1985. And for new fans, The Shadow Chronicles lays down a new, fresh storyline in the uncomprimising Robotech Universe ~ no need to watch 36 hours of episodes to catch up
http://www.theshadowchronicles.com/

I was just wondering if there were any Robotech fans in the Troll Dens. Robotech fans make your voice heard!

..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I used to be, even though I was never as hard core as you were.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Yes indeed. My brother and I watched it on TV when we were kids, and later on, but before DVDs, we discovered that the Sci-Fi channel was rebroadcasting them. So we taped the whole darn thing, from start to finish.

I enjoyed Palladium's Robotech RPG, though it fell into the Star Wars category of "Gee, it's a lot of work trying to maintain the exact mood of the series."

My favorite characters in the cartoon were always the ones that died, though.

angelius
Lore Drake

Post by angelius »

Hiya,

I was totally into it as well. I think I have VF-1S toy lying around here somewhere. (Or the same mould as Jetfire from transformers.)

The Palladium game was pretty good as well. But at the time I had trouble reconciling SDC and MDC mechanisms.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Any Robotech fans?

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:
I was just wondering if there were any Robotech fans in the Troll Dens. Robotech fans make your voice heard!

FPQ

I was a big fan of the 3 series that appeared in the 80's. I never followed any other series, and never got into the rpg. 8)
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Nelzie
Red Cap

Post by Nelzie »

I loved and still love Robotech.

The setting is awesome fun. Unfortunately, the Palladium game system makes running the game slow.

I would run it, but not until after I could do some reworking of things. Decreasing the hit locations, changing out the skill system and maybe slightly altering the combat system to make it run a little faster.

50 Useless Trivia Points from Serleran

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've used the Tri-Stat system with their "robot goodness" and got some good Gundam/Robotecj/Battletech goodness out of it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Yeah, I used to watch the series when I was a kid and had some of the toys. I never tried the rpg. My only real experience with Palladium games was with the TMNT rpg. I still have it...but man did it suck!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I used to watch it all the time. At least the first & second seasion any way. I enjoyed the RPG but agree it was a bit more rules heavy. I had a budy that would run a mix of it & rifts. An odd mix that was!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Orpheus wrote:
My only real experience with Palladium games was with the TMNT rpg. I still have it...but man did it suck!

Oh man, I thought that was a fantastic RPG! Had a total blast playing a mutant Cheetah. As for Robotech, the rules were essentially the same as TMNT. I thought the rules were fine at the time, but now they are a bit dated and in need of some serious streamlining. Palladium is currently working on the Shadow Chronicles RPG.

Robotech NOVASeige anyone?

.............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
Robotech NOVASeige anyone?

Wooo Hooo I might even get my wife into that instead of shaking her head at me.....

C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

pineappleleader
Hlobane Orc

Post by pineappleleader »

Omote wrote:

FPQ

Just waiting for the new DVD to come out and the new Pal RPG too. Robotech and Macross II were the only one of their RPGs I really liked. That being said, I have probably 50+ of their RPG books.

Go figure.

Prepare to meet your DOOM!

Kobold battle cry

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I loved the series when I was a little one. Haven't really followed it much after the 3rd Robotech War era.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

pineappleleader wrote:
Just waiting for the new DVD to come out

It's out like shout. Run to your video store and pick up a copy. Bask in the glow of the good protoculture... and be healed.

...............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

RPGmonk
Mist Elf

Post by RPGmonk »

Robotech fan here also. Loved the toons, still hunting down the paperbacks. Used to do the RPG too...good olde Palladium, still have some of there books around, somewhere.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

RPGmonk wrote:
Loved the toons, still hunting down the paperbacks.

The omnibus editions of books #1-6 are available at most big books stores or Amazon.com. The Southern Cross and New Generations paperbacks will be available in omnibus editions comes late March or early April.

...........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

Ohhhh yea. I was a huge Robotech fan. It pretty much changed the way I looked at fiction in general. It was a fantastic series. I picked up Shadow Chronicles the other day but haven't had a chance to watch it yet!

Veritas
Ungern

Post by Veritas »

I've been a big Robotech Fan since it hit the TVs here in NA. I've seen all the episodes (including Sentinels), had all the comics and novels, the Robotech Art books, and the rpg books. I'm even part of the Robotech team for SETI. heh.
I picked up the Robotech Remastered dvds for The Macross Saga, and I've started collecting the original Macross episodes. I just bought Shadow Chronicles, actually, and half-watched it last night while playing some WoW.

I'm planning on giving it a closer watch later tonight.

pineappleleader
Hlobane Orc

Post by pineappleleader »

Omote wrote:
It's out like shout. Run to your video store and pick up a copy. Bask in the glow of the good protoculture... and be healed.

...............................................Omote

FPQ

Got it. Watched it. Very well done.

One quibble: Too Short. It was like watching half of a feature film. It did not end; it just stopped.

I hope it doesn't take them another 20 years to complete this story arc.

Prepare to meet your DOOM!

Kobold battle cry

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

I always liked the motorbike/ battle armour the best. I incorporated it into many a bit of online interactive fiction.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

i love robotech. robotech led me to battletech and hours of tabletop combat. on a related note, there is a robotech game for gamecube. you might want to check it out.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Yeah, very familiar with the video games, Robotech Battlecry (Macross Saga) and Robotech Invasion (New Generation). Overall, they were both only OK at best, but a neat waste of time. There was a version of Battlecry out for the GameBoy Advance. This one was basic, but fun.

Yeah, I was also partial to the Invid Invasion Saga of the New Generation (the one with the transforming motorcycles). Strong characters for an 80's "kids" cartoon, with all the violence that a post-apocolyptic world should have. Nice.

The new Robotech vid deals with the events immediatly prior to the Invid Invasion saga... more transforming bike goodness! 8)

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

::pokes Omote::

Ahem, I'm one and you know me, though probably not under this name.

Keolander = Rabid Southern Cross Fan (Palladium boards) as well as Brooklyn Red Leg (Robotech.com).
As for Shadow Chronicles, I didn't care for it that much. Too much like watching an episode of Star Trek for me. However, I am stoked that Palladium is trying to reacquire the Robotech RPG license and is considering publishing the new version in a manga-style format!
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken
Μολὼν λάβε

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

As the only cartoon I fondly remember as killing off major characters... Robotech has a soft spot in my collection-to-be.

rabindranath72
Lore Drake

Post by rabindranath72 »

serleran wrote:
As the only cartoon I fondly remember as killing off major characters... Robotech has a soft spot in my collection-to-be.

Gundam was the first to kill major characters. Z Gundam is a graveyard!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Perhaps... but I don't recall that being on American TV when I was 6.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Keolander wrote:
::pokes Omote::

Ahem, I'm one and you know me, though probably not under this name.

Keolander = Rabid Southern Cross Fan (Palladium boards) as well as Brooklyn Red Leg (Robotech.com).
As for Shadow Chronicles, I didn't care for it that much. Too much like watching an episode of Star Trek for me. However, I am stoked that Palladium is trying to reacquire the Robotech RPG license and is considering publishing the new version in a manga-style format!

::pokes back::

Of course man, how the heck are ya. Don't seem to get many Pally or RT.com peeps over on these boards. Great, now I've got to associate another name your you! I hear you on the "star Trekyness" of TSC movie. Honestly, it feels like the first 3 epsiodes of the new series [hopes]. I was dissappointed in a few things, but after watching it a few times really got to appreciate the amount of linking to the other series (especially the Sentinels) that was put into it. I feel HG did a generally good job on setting up a new series to people who might not know the original.

As for Serleran's killing of main character, remember this:

Ben Dixon never did get to finish that steak.

.................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

serleran wrote:

Eh, actually, Roy and Ben were actually secondary characters. However, they were noteworthy. The Masters went through their fair share of personalities, all of whom had more than 1 appearance (many of them appeared over the course of the entire series):
The Masters

General Leonard

General Emerson

Colonel Rochelle

Shaizan, Bowkaz and Dag (Robotech Fleet Commanders)

Octavia (one of Musica's sisters)

15th ATACers - Cranston, Woodruff, 'Lanky' and Eddie (all got creamed in Mind Games)

Zor Prime (naturally)

Not to be outdone, New Generation tried to off someone important in almost every episode. If you were an episode's 'main guest character', you generally died in a gruesome and/or pointless manner. Several, noteably Wolfe, Ayres and Graham, racked up body counts of allied soldiers before they themselves got greased.
New Generation

Marlene (Scott's fiance)

Colonel Jonathan Wolfe

The Old Coots from Ghost Town

Dusty Ayres

Sue Graham
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken
Μολὼν λάβε

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

"Jonathan Wolfe was a hero."

That's all I have to say about that.

.........................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!