Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Itlas
Mist Elf
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:07 pm
Location: Italy

Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Itlas »

Hi guys!

I wish to buy a board game Heroquest style to play with my D&D group when we want to stay together but can't play the campaign we're running because some people of the party or the dungeon master are missing that week.
So I'm thinking to buy a board game which can be played and quitted anytime and doesn't need a long preparation,something "plug&play" just to say.

I took a look to Descent and Legends of Andor and both seems interesting,which one do you have tried and would recommend?

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Treebore »

I have Descent and a expansion or two. Set up and tear down can take some time, but its a fun game.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

User avatar
TheMetal1
Lore Drake
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:00 am
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by TheMetal1 »

Itlas wrote:I took a look to Descent and Legends of Andor and both seems interesting,which one do you have tried and would recommend?
My vote is for Descent. Like Treebore said, it can a take a bit with set-up and tear-down, but a fun game to play, whether you do one-shots or follow the campaign. FFG's components are excellent. plenty of expansions. It's FFG house world (Runebound, BattleLore 2, etc.).

I have not played or even looked at Legends of Andor until now. Somehow missed it and I'm a big fan of FFG.

While I'm firmly in the camp of Descent, A couple of other options for you outside of your two games.

1. D&D Adventure series (Castle Ravenloft, Temple of Elemental Evil, The Legend of Drizzt, Wrath of Ashardalon). Same concept as Descent, but the key difference is there is no "Game Master" in Descent you typically have someone playing the "overlord" who handles all the bad guys. In the Adventure System Games, there is an "A.I." system to handle monsters/traps, so everyone can be one of the players. Plus you can interchange NPCs and PCs among the games. Set in the D&D World loosely based on D&D 4e.

2. Cave Troll. Another FFG Game, just released a new edition. Play and Loot.

3. Dungeon Quest Revised. A bit of a set up, but search the dungeon, get the loot, don't wake the dragon and get out.

User avatar
Itlas
Mist Elf
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:07 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Itlas »

TheMetal1 wrote:
Itlas wrote:I took a look to Descent and Legends of Andor and both seems interesting,which one do you have tried and would recommend?
My vote is for Descent. Like Treebore said, it can a take a bit with set-up and tear-down, but a fun game to play, whether you do one-shots or follow the campaign. FFG's components are excellent. plenty of expansions. It's FFG house world (Runebound, BattleLore 2, etc.).

I have not played or even looked at Legends of Andor until now. Somehow missed it and I'm a big fan of FFG.

While I'm firmly in the camp of Descent, A couple of other options for you outside of your two games.

1. D&D Adventure series (Castle Ravenloft, Temple of Elemental Evil, The Legend of Drizzt, Wrath of Ashardalon). Same concept as Descent, but the key difference is there is no "Game Master" in Descent you typically have someone playing the "overlord" who handles all the bad guys. In the Adventure System Games, there is an "A.I." system to handle monsters/traps, so everyone can be one of the players. Plus you can interchange NPCs and PCs among the games. Set in the D&D World loosely based on D&D 4e.

2. Cave Troll. Another FFG Game, just released a new edition. Play and Loot.

3. Dungeon Quest Revised. A bit of a set up, but search the dungeon, get the loot, don't wake the dragon and get out.

Thank You for your kind suggestions but I'm from Italy and only Descent and Legends of Andor have been translated in my language,even if I'm quite comfortable with english texts I prefer to buy board games translated in Italian especially when they use event card desks and stuff like that.
Otherwise the D&D boardgames would also be interesting but their problem is that they are one shot,while Descent and Legends of Andor have several adventures inside

Oh wait,just checked,also Dungeonquest has been translated,but it costs as Descent and for the same price I think I'll chose that one because I can buy expansions after beated all the adventures of the base set

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Treebore »

The D&D board games actually have a fair number of scenarios, with more available on line. At least the last time I checked, with their closing down the forums, maybe such materials were taken down as well.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

User avatar
Itlas
Mist Elf
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:07 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Itlas »

Treebore wrote:The D&D board games actually have a fair number of scenarios, with more available on line. At least the last time I checked, with their closing down the forums, maybe such materials were taken down as well.
Yes but not being translated in Italian I still prefer to look for Descent

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Treebore »

Itlas wrote:
Treebore wrote:The D&D board games actually have a fair number of scenarios, with more available on line. At least the last time I checked, with their closing down the forums, maybe such materials were taken down as well.
Yes but not being translated in Italian I still prefer to look for Descent
You by chance close to Aveono? (I hope I am spelling it right.)
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

User avatar
Itlas
Mist Elf
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:07 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Itlas »

Treebore wrote:
Itlas wrote:
Treebore wrote:The D&D board games actually have a fair number of scenarios, with more available on line. At least the last time I checked, with their closing down the forums, maybe such materials were taken down as well.
Yes but not being translated in Italian I still prefer to look for Descent
You by chance close to Aveono? (I hope I am spelling it right.)
Aveono?there is not such a place in Italy

Maybe do you mean Aviano,where there is the American Air Base?

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Treebore »

Itlas wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Itlas wrote:
Treebore wrote:The D&D board games actually have a fair number of scenarios, with more available on line. At least the last time I checked, with their closing down the forums, maybe such materials were taken down as well.
Yes but not being translated in Italian I still prefer to look for Descent
You by chance close to Aveono? (I hope I am spelling it right.)
Aveono?there is not such a place in Italy

Maybe do you mean Aviano,where there is the American Air Base?

Yeah, thats what I meant, like I said, I wasn't sure of the spelling.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

User avatar
TheMetal1
Lore Drake
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:00 am
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by TheMetal1 »

Itlas,

Know your going for Descent, I'm sure you all will have fun with it!

I did have one last one that you could look into down the road. And that is available in Italian - "Dungeon Saga: La Missione del Re dei Nani" aka "Dungeon Saga: The Dwarf King's Quest" by Mantic Games

Watched a development video of the game on Beasts of War, and then just last night watched part of a scenario of the game on Beasts of War (both on Youtube).

Anyway, my take is that it is very similar to Descent, with an Overlord vs. the Player(s).

Here is the link from Mantic: http://www.manticgames.com/games/dungeo ... quest.html

Here is the link from Board Game Geek: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160 ... ings-quest

Here is the link to Beasts of War: http://www.beastsofwar.com/dungeon-saga ... ure-1-met/

User avatar
Itlas
Mist Elf
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:07 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Itlas »

Treebore wrote:
Itlas wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Itlas wrote:
Treebore wrote:The D&D board games actually have a fair number of scenarios, with more available on line. At least the last time I checked, with their closing down the forums, maybe such materials were taken down as well.
Yes but not being translated in Italian I still prefer to look for Descent
You by chance close to Aveono? (I hope I am spelling it right.)
Aveono?there is not such a place in Italy

Maybe do you mean Aviano,where there is the American Air Base?

Yeah, thats what I meant, like I said, I wasn't sure of the spelling.

Yeah I'm quite far from there

User avatar
Itlas
Mist Elf
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:07 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Itlas »

TheMetal1 wrote:Itlas,

Know your going for Descent, I'm sure you all will have fun with it!

I did have one last one that you could look into down the road. And that is available in Italian - "Dungeon Saga: La Missione del Re dei Nani" aka "Dungeon Saga: The Dwarf King's Quest" by Mantic Games

Watched a development video of the game on Beasts of War, and then just last night watched part of a scenario of the game on Beasts of War (both on Youtube).

Anyway, my take is that it is very similar to Descent, with an Overlord vs. the Player(s).

Here is the link from Mantic: http://www.manticgames.com/games/dungeo ... quest.html

Here is the link from Board Game Geek: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160 ... ings-quest

Here is the link to Beasts of War: http://www.beastsofwar.com/dungeon-saga ... ure-1-met/
Dungeon Saga looks very cool,ty very I'll seriously consider it,ty!

Treebore
Mogrl
Posts: 20660
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Arizona and St Louis

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I JUST got Dungeon Saga: The Dwarf Kings Quest a week or two ago. So I have yet to play it, but the components and rules make me think very strongly of Warhammer Quest and Hero Quest, which is always a good thing in my opinion.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl
Posts: 13905
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by serleran »

Don't know either of these that well, but another option to consider is Brimstone.

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Descent or Legends of Andor:which one do you recommend?

Post by Omote »

I can only speak of Descent. I've played both 1st edition and the newest edition. I think the original is more like an RPG on a game board (but just barely). Especially astute players will learn the math tricks of 1st edition Descent pretty quickly, and make their characters as good as can be. The latest version of Descent, eliminates a lot of these math tricks to the game, but in that regard I feel it has lost something. Descent has become too sanitized, and too board gamey. Which isn't necessarily bad, but I have noticed that the RPGers from my groups don't like it as much.

I still haven't found a dungeon-romp boardgame better than Warhammer Quest. Though it's old, harder to find, expensive, and in terms of gameplay mechanics downright brutal.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Post Reply