Stick a fork in me .. I’m done (but with a ray of hope)

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Stick a fork in me .. I’m done (but with a ray of hope)

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:All, thanks
Treebore wrote:

My wife processes 16 claims per day, most days. So if you can match her, you will have all 300 of them processing in about 3 to 4 weeks. If your as slow as most of her co workers, triple that. CONGRATS! Better pay, better hours, shorter drive?!! Total win!
I wish developing a good through claim with a chance to be successful with needed support for a difficult claim or one that has already been denied isn't a 30 min job. There are times it is 8 + hours just to find one thread to pull on and then you still need a Dr to support it. So no not 3 to 4 weeks ...

But with blessing, luck, and diligence, and time, I'll get there.
My wife does all that, just her reading speed and retention is that freaking scary. She handles claims with 5 to 30 contentions on a regular basis, and she finds the evidence in their medical and/or Service Record, gets the exams ordered, and with a correct rate, not correctED, but correct the first time, of 98.5%. So yeah, she has been called a freak of nature and other similar things at her VBA office. She hit 16 again today, with several that had 5 to 12 contentions in them. Of course, now she is doing 10 hour days. Her lowest day in weeks has been 11, back when she was only doing 8 hour days.

Of course she probably has advantages you don't such as 5 different systems for her to get the needed info via, so she can often get record requests fulfilled in a couple of hours for the younger Vets. Your guys she may need to wait weeks on before she could even start reading through their stuff.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, it finally happened yesterday. One of the residents in the vets' home I work in gave me a royal cussing.

He started right out with I'm what is wrong with modern America, just someone trying to give people free hand outs they don't deserve. you people just want to be given everything. What have you done for me and if it mattered why didn't you help me back when I got out (back in 1955). Your generation is just all weak P.O S. Oh you were in war, which ones ... Afghan Iraq, those aren't real wars ... That last one ended the conversation for me. I told him have a good day. meaning have a good day because I will never talk to you or help you again.

All of it from a mechanic in during Korea, but with no combat awards (nothing against mechanics in the military & I would have helped him gladly even without a combat award)

However, as I walked out of his room his room mate stopped me and asked if I could help him and look at his records.

At that second, God flipped the coin from cranky old guy to ...

I told him I'd have to see if I have access & if I do I need to see what is in there. Then asked him when he served and what his job was.

Oh I served in 43 to 46 as a mortar man. I was in combat but nothing much.

This morning I got to get into his records

43 to 46 in the 475th operations in India Burma & W China ... The 475th is what the 75th Ranger Regiment was created from (so part of my unit history) and was the sister unit to Merrill's Marauders. Then India Burma China ... not much combat .... Good lord what does he consider significant combat. Over 50% causality rated due to combat and sickness. Plus before he got there in combat, he had to take flights across the Burma / Himalayan Mtns - one of the most dangerous flight crossings in WWII

I was able to talk with him for about an hour today. After about 10 min I hade everything I needed for the claim. The rest of the time was me listening to a nice old Ranger telling his war stories .

Compare him to his room mate. Oh well I'll take a cussing to help an old brother ranger.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Awesome! Love it when my wife comes home with stories like this.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Awesome! Love it when my wife comes home with stories like this.
Rgr that & I love the stories from the Ole guys regardless.

However, a guy from 475th. He is the history we studied and modeled in RR. The only thing that would have been closer to my heart would be a guy from Pointe du Hoc, or a D-Day jumper (esp a Pathfinder).

His stories were great, the classic quiet been there done that humble real stories. Not over blown self important wana be stories.

Like I said, worth taking the cussing from the one to help this one out
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Lurker wrote:The only thing that would have been closer to my heart would be a guy from Pointe du Hoc, or a D-Day jumper (esp a Pathfinder).
I worked with a Canadian a while back, and his grandfather was a Canadian jumper that went in with Operation Tonga. I talked to him a bit before he passed; interesting old coot. :-)

AllanSutterfield_94
Skobbit

Post by AllanSutterfield_94 »

That's sad... Same with a kind old man living next to my apartment >..<