How much computer do I need?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

How much computer do I need?

Post by Buttmonkey »

It's time to upgrade my 15-year-old laptop. I'm thinking about a Microsoft Surface since I'd like a tablet as well as a laptop. I intend to use it to run the usual Microsoft Office suite of application (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), store my iPod's music files, surf the net, run a virtual table top (probably Roll20), read PDFs of gaming materials and Knights of the Dinner Table collections, and Skype.

I could use some advice on how much RAM is appropriate, as well as hard drive size. My instinct has always been to go big or go home when it comes to memory, but I want to avoid spending way too much for hardware I don't really need.

Any suggestions?
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: How much computer do I need?

Post by Arduin »

Based on deploying MS OS versions on and off over the last 20 years, load 250% of recommended RAM. Go with a CPU at least 50% better than recommended. That should give you a machine with tolerable performance.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Arduin wrote:Based on deploying MS OS versions on and off over the last 20 years, load 250% of recommended RAM. Go with a CPU at least 50% better than recommended. That should give you a machine with tolerable performance.
Rook!

25 years for me! ;)

Agree with your assessment, BUT aren't those surface machines expensive for the versions that are loaded?

They do look cool, but I guess much depends on what one plans to do with it.

I bought a top of the line laptop last fall for my daughter who is a chemical engineering major. Anyway, I think I only spend a K or $1200. The thing was super powered.

:P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I checked out the Surface prices on Amazon this afternoon and was a bit shocked. You hear about a $400 entry point and suddenly you find yourself looking at a $2,000 machine. I need to rethink my starting point. A straight laptop may be the way to go. I can pick up a tablet later.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Buttmonkey wrote:I checked out the Surface prices on Amazon this afternoon and was a bit shocked. You hear about a $400 entry point and suddenly you find yourself looking at a $2,000 machine. I need to rethink my starting point. A straight laptop may be the way to go. I can pick up a tablet later.
That is what happened to me, I went Lap Top as well. I like the surface, but it just costs too much for what I am getting.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I did one of those online only deals with Costco recently. Got the 17 inch Toshiba Satellite Laptop with 16 Gig of RAM, and i7 Processor, 2 Terabytes of storage, etc.... for $800+ shipping. Not quit as powerful as my Desktop, but close.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Rhuvein wrote:
Arduin wrote:Based on deploying MS OS versions on and off over the last 20 years, load 250% of recommended RAM. Go with a CPU at least 50% better than recommended. That should give you a machine with tolerable performance.
Rook!

25 years for me! ;)

Agree with your assessment, BUT aren't those surface machines expensive for the versions that are loaded?

They do look cool, but I guess much depends on what one plans to do with it.

I bought a top of the line laptop last fall for my daughter who is a chemical engineering major. Anyway, I think I only spend a K or $1200. The thing was super powered.

:P
I think that they are WAY over priced. But some people REALLY like Microsloth. Personally I'm waiting on Ubuntu's tablet next year, maybe X-mas time...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I haven't read reviews, but most of the big laptop manufacurers make laptop/tablet hybrids, with keyboard that either is removable or it folds back completely turning itself into a tablet. They are less expensive than the Surface for the same specs. Lenovo, Dell, HP and others all have some version like this. You might want to check the reviews and pick one of those, if you really want the tablet features.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

dachda wrote:I haven't read reviews, but most of the big laptop manufacurers make laptop/tablet hybrids, with keyboard that either is removable or it folds back completely turning itself into a tablet. They are less expensive than the Surface for the same specs. Lenovo, Dell, HP and others all have some version like this. You might want to check the reviews and pick one of those, if you really want the tablet features.
Yeah, I have a Lenova and an ASUS that both have the keyboard attachment. Pretty nice, but I still find myself using my laptops most of the time. The only time I really like the tablets are the rare times I am not driving the car. But at hotels or on a train, I use my laptop. Like right now.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

In fact, I use my Smart Phone far more often than I use my tablets when on the road. So when I get down to it, my buying the tablets was largely a waste of money for how I use my devices.

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

For a desktop - I can make a shopping list for you for $800 or less.

For a laptop - unfortunately it can be pretty hard to find one that has a good combination of firepower, value, and not having any unnecessary stuff. ASUS, Lenovo, and Eurocom should have decent things in the $1,000 range. Do not go Apple, they spend a lot of cash for high-resolution displays that you don't need, and that high resolution sucks away a lot of the firepower that would be better spent on a big complicated MapTool map.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Nothing is as overpriced as a Mac, of any flavor and type. They are good at what they do... but that does not warrant the idiotic cost. Although, I do like my Thunderbolt display.