Total Newbie

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Daniel
Red Cap

Total Newbie

Post by Daniel »

Hello All;

Not sure if this is the place to do this, so Mods just tell me if it isn't and then please move it to the right place.

I found C&C yesterday by mistake. I was looking for something else on the net and came across a preview PDF of The Castle Keeper's Guide. It was quite interesting to say the least. By midnight I had found the Troll Lords website. Read more and realized I was not only interested, but wanted to get the basics so I could read the rules and see where this could go.

Today, during lunch, I went to DriveThruRPG and picked up a copy of Castles & Crusades Players Handbook 6th Printing as part of one of the bundles. So I now have four of the books in my Digital Library. :D

So who am I? My name is Daniel. I am proud to be an old grognard with lots of time in the trenches. Played my first RPG game in 1976. In 1977 I bought Melee and learned that I loved playing RPGs. In 1978 I was given a copy of the AD&D players handbook and the rest, as they say, was history. I often wonder if I have spent more of RPGs or on my house. :lol:

I have played and owned many different rule systems over many genre. But I always return to the fantasy style setting. I look forward to learning more about this rule set.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Total Newbie

Post by Treebore »

I haven't been gaming as long as you, I am just entering my 26th year, but C&C has become my perfect RPG with my house rulings. I too play a wide range of RPG's, but primarily stick with fantasy.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Welcome Daniel. I'm a youngin compared to you and Tree, since I didn't start until the early 90s. But I've been playing C&C for over 10 years and I think it is the best system out there for fantasy RPGs. Take a look around, ask questions, and enjoy yourself. We're a pretty good bunch around here and always willing to help as we can.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Welcome Daniel. I too started playing at the dawn of time. For myself, C&C is the best FRPG that I've played and GM'ed. C&C is more what Gary Gygax would have done for a D&D 3rd Ed.
Hope you find it to be fun for you!
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for the welcome all. I appreciate it. Spent some time last night reading the player's handbook. I like what I have read so far.

Rigon wrote: Take a look around, ask questions, and enjoy yourself.
Trust me, I am not shy. I will be asking lots of questions. One of the things I enjoy as I learn a new rule set is being able to ask questions when I have access to folks who know the rules set already. :mrgreen:

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Hi.

Some of us have forgotten the rules we created.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Welcome to the Crusade, Daniel!

Enjoy the game,

Rhu. :)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Daniel wrote:

Trust me, I am not shy. I will be asking lots of questions. One of the things I enjoy as I learn a new rule set is being able to ask questions when I have access to folks who know the rules set already. :mrgreen:
Like others said, welcome

Ask away, you'll get answers from both ends of the spectrum, and all points in between. But, they will all be backed by the principle of "It is your game, have fun with it!"
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

serleran wrote:Hi.

Some of us have forgotten the rules we created.
Yeah, but you can always ask us. We remember them. ;)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Thank you All for the welcome. It is appreciated.

I do have one question, what book(s) are best for me to buy after the Player's Handbook? I picked up a package deal so I have the Monsters and Treasures books already as well.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Daniel wrote:Thank you All for the welcome. It is appreciated.

I do have one question, what book(s) are best for me to buy after the Player's Handbook? I picked up a package deal so I have the Monsters and Treasures books already as well.
CKG (wait a couple weeks for the newest printing) for optional rules and stuff.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, you already have what you "need", so from now on get what sounds good to you. The CKG is good in that it gives you the class level progressions beyond what the PH has, and gives you a TON of alternate rules ideas to tack on to your C&C game. Even though I recommend you play C&C by the book your first time out. That way you can get a good in depth feel for what you think C&C is lacking, and then house rule it to give it what you feel it needs for your next campaign. Thats what I did, ran my first campaign by the book up to level 8. At that point I created my initial House Rules, and have been playing that way ever since. Of course adding new rules and ideas as I become aware of the need for them or decide I want that idea in my C&C games, and getting rid of old ones or rewriting them once my group and I find a better way to handle it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Treebore wrote: Even though I recommend you play C&C by the book your first time out. That way you can get a good in depth feel for what you think C&C is lacking, and then house rule it to give it what you feel it needs for your next campaign.
This is what I had in mind. I find it is best to learn the rule set as written before you begin to pull on strings. :D

Thanks All for the input.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I would recommend anything written by me.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

serleran wrote:I would recommend anything written by me.
+1

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Cool, so do I look for Serleran or do you want to share your nom de plume?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Daniel wrote:
He's the author of the M&T and other stuff.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Rigon wrote:
Daniel wrote:
He's the author of the M&T and other stuff.

R-
Thanks, but now I am back to the same question: M&T lists two key authors and four additional authors. Serleran is not listed among them, so what is the name I should be looking for?

Side note: My status as a Newbie covers both the game and this forum. I am still learning who is who. Please keep that in mind when I ask a question that seems dumb. Thank you. :mrgreen:

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Daniel wrote:
"serleran" would be the nom de plume, actually. But, when I do real writing, I use my name. It'd be Robert Doyel. Spelled that way on purpose because it's right... and has a cool meaning.

Monsters and Treasure would be the big deal, I suppose. But there are also Engineering Dungeons, Engineering Castles, and some stuff for the CKG. And, of course, innumerable (my post could is inaccurate, given some factors yet to be disclosed) posts here, including two "complete" game conversions -- The Arcanum and Arduin -- to C&C.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote: including two "complete" game conversions -- The Arcanum and Arduin -- to C&C.
Of which I have both compiled into a word pad .doc, I have yet to convert them to PDF, despite having the means to do so...

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

serleran wrote:
Daniel wrote:
"serleran" would be the nom de plume, actually. But, when I do real writing, I use my name. It'd be Robert Doyel. Spelled that way on purpose because it's right... and has a cool meaning.

Monsters and Treasure would be the big deal, I suppose. But there are also Engineering Dungeons, Engineering Castles, and some stuff for the CKG. And, of course, innumerable (my post could is inaccurate, given some factors yet to be disclosed) posts here, including two "complete" game conversions -- The Arcanum and Arduin -- to C&C.
Yes, that's him.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

serleran wrote: "serleran" would be the nom de plume, actually. But, when I do real writing, I use my name. It'd be Robert Doyel. Spelled that way on purpose because it's right... and has a cool meaning.

Ah so I already have bought some of your stuff and the two Engineering books are on my list for the next buy. Oh and I will mind the spelling of Doyel so as not to misspell it. :mrgreen:

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Rigon wrote: Yes, that's him.

R-
:lol:

Thanks for the help Sir!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

That other guy on M&T isn't anybody special. It's just Stephen Chenault, janitor and sometimes CEO of Troll Lord Games. ;)

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

tylermo wrote:That other guy on M&T isn't anybody special. It's just Stephen Chenault, janitor and sometimes CEO of Troll Lord Games. ;)
Yep, no one special. :lol:

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

tylermo wrote:That other guy on M&T isn't anybody special. It's just Stephen Chenault, janitor and sometimes CEO of Troll Lord Games. ;)

But just think how hard it is to be a janitor for a bunch of trolls ! All the Dr Pepper cans to pick up, cleaning the spilled drinks off the floor, and no telling what they track in from the Arkansas hills. :)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Lurker wrote:and no telling what they track in from the Arkansas hills. :)
Barfed up hairballs and dung pellets from . . . skobbits!! :?
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Ok, completed my second pass through the Player's handbook. If all goes well, my son and I will have a small game on Saturday. Our first C&C game. :mrgreen:

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Being new to C&C as well, I must say I am enjoying the system. I have been running my kids (12 & 9) thru The Keep on the Borderlands and decided to covert it over midstream. Thanks to Treebore's advice (in another thread) I jumped right into it and found the conversions easy. When initially researching a return to gaming several months back I purchased a set of 3 rule books on the cheap not realizing they were the digest versions...the full size version of M&T is next on my purchase list!