Roku/Amazon Fire vs satellite TV

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Roku/Amazon Fire vs satellite TV

Post by Lurker »

My wife & I are kicking around the idea of getting rid of our Dish TV and trying the Roku. On paper it sounds like a good idea and that it will work. However, paper and reality often are 2 separate things.

Sadly, no one I know has taken this plunge, so I can't ask a local friend if they like it. Soooooo, I thought about my friends here … Do any of you have a Roku, or have had one. Any real life experience – good or bad – with it?

Or will I be the first here to try one of them?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

mmbutter
Red Cap

Re: Roku/Amazon Fire vs satellite TV

Post by mmbutter »

I used to use Roku quite a bit back in the day, but I don't much anymore. I use my Chromecast on a daily basis, however.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I love my roku. we have Amazon Prime and I've been catching up on Dr who, Star Trek, Falling Skies. Generally, TV shows are free if it's not the current season. HBO shows are different, though.

Amazon prime is usually reasonable for paid movies. The Roku also connects to Netflix and a dozen others like it, so if you subscribe, you'll have no lack of content.

There are lots of channels to choose from, and even some unlisted ones, like Nowhere TV. If you have kids, the PBSKids Roku channel is pretty good.

I have nothing to compare it to, but I like it. a lot. and I have the 2nd tier (like, as in second from the worst) one. The newer ones are really cool, but of course, you do pay more.

it's cheap to run (not a power hog) and in my experience, doesn't get hot, connects to wifi just fine, and I can't recall any technical issues with the Roku itself.

So I like it.

YYMV, but I hope that helps.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

So what makes Roku, or Chromecast, superior to just using your gaming console to do what sounds like the same thing?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

I prefer to use the Chromecast because I can throw just about any arbitrary thing from my computer up to my home theater (or any other TV in the house). Also, it's tiny, so taking it with on vacay is trivial.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:So what makes Roku, or Chromecast, superior to just using your gaming console to do what sounds like the same thing?

I don't have a gamming console, at least not one hooked up to the net, so not sure what the difference is

Everyone else, thanks for the inputs and advice.

to me it sounds GTG, but the wife is on the fence still. We'll see
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I don't have television at all. No cable or dish, just your basic free channels and haven't had them for years. If I do decide to plunge into television again I'm definitely going to buy Apple TV, which is the equivalent of Roku or Chromecast, due mostly to the fact that I can throw anything from my computer up onto my television. Don't know if that is helpful but I personally see no need for cable anymore other than wasting your money.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

As Roku itself doesn't really have any programming, look at what Hulu, Amazon, and/or Netflix have as those are who you'd be paying. If you want to watch Apple content get an AppleTV instead (also has Hulu and Netflix, but not Amazon.) The Roku isn't anything special as a piece of hardware. Most smart tvs and computers can watch all of the shows on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon. Actually, on Hulu, you can only watch some of them on your computer.

I've never had satellite tv and only have had local antenna channels for years so I don't know what you'd be missing out on, but premium movie channels aren't usually available without also having a cable provider (though select shows may show up on streaming with some delay.)

I've tried MythTV, WDTV, AppleTV, Roku, and the interface on my Blu-Ray players and they are all pretty much the same as long as they can drive your TV at full resolution.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Satellite TV tends to get very flaky and slow to downright unusable when the outside weather is terrible. An internal wireless device, such as Roku or whatever, would tend to be more reliable in those conditions.... assuming your internet provider isn't crap (and they are with the limited exception of Verizon FiOS.)

I have a Roku. I have a Fire TV. I have a Chromecast.

I don't use any of them.

And... Tree, the answer to why not use a gaming console: simple. They're not very good at real streaming.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

I have an Amazon Fire, along with Prime. Really like it as most of the smart devices have an Amazon Fire App or Prime App. We're about there with ditching cable. Just not worth it anymore. If they'd give us a choice on which channels instead of bundling a bunch of things I don't want, we might stay. There is also the Amazon Fire Stick - price is comparable with Chromcast stick.

Slightly on topic - I'm thinking Network TV and Cable are in their waning years. Thoughts?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

TheMetal1 wrote: Slightly on topic - I'm thinking Network TV and Cable are in their waning years. Thoughts?
Already well documented as being the case.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, we pulled the trigger and got a roku. For those of you that are thinking about getting one (any version not just a roku) here you go on my summery.

First, internet connectivity … I live in the back woods and have limited internet access. The roku maxed out my internet package, so I had to upgrade. For most people, this isn't an issue, but for those of you that live out in the woods like I do, consider this when you do the cost comparison)

Second, picture quality. Some of the shows are less than HD. Of course, this is as much a function of less powerful internet than is needed. Also, thus far, I don't have the better channels only the free ones.

Third, yes you get a ton of free channels. But you get what you pay for... There are some gems in there but a ton of chaff to go through... I have done random searches on everything from old favorites – Charlie Chan, Abbot and Costello, and classic brit coms, to more recent shows. More often than not I got something. However, in all of that there are 100s of shows I would never watch.... of course I'll assume someone will want them but never think twice about the shows I looked for, so there is a reason for the tons of shows.

This comes to a third issue … my wife is a remote hog … she will spend 50 min digging through all those other shows and not ever decide on a show . For the love of God … I'll willingly watch some of the chaff … just pick something and STOP looking… So this is a warning … if your wife is like mine, avoid the Roku like the plague !

C&C Society