D&D Next (5th)

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: D&D Next (5th)

Post by Arduin »

BLOOD AXE wrote:
Arduin wrote:
BLOOD AXE wrote:Id probably drop $20 on the Basic set to see if Id want more. But for $150+ to play/ $50 per core book, it would have to be very good.
The Basic edition will be a free PDF now. :)
No box set?
Yes, box set. The PDF is just the rules. (same rules as in the Box set) The box set has an adventure and maybe something else in addition.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Ok, PDF is fine to check things out, but I prefer a dead tree version. Nice that its free.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Actually Basic Dungeons and Dragons, is much more than the Starter Set. Starter give you levels 1-5, while Basic goes up to level 20.

Here is part of the official blurp Treebore posted a link for:

Basic D&D is a PDF that covers the core of the game. It’s the equivalent of the old D&D Rules Cyclopedia, though it doesn’t have quite the same scope (for example, it won’t go into detail on a setting). It runs from levels 1 to 20 and covers the cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard, presenting what we view as the essential subclass for each. It also provides the dwarf, elf, halfling, and human as race options.

But the best part? Basic D&D is a free PDF. Anyone can download it from our website. We want to put D&D in as many hands as possible, and a free, digital file is the best way to do that.

If Basic D&D is the equivalent of the classic Rules Cyclopedia, then the three core rulebooks are analogous to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Want more character options? Pick up a Player’s Handbook. Looking for more critters for your campaign? The Monster Manual has you covered. Want to sculpt a unique campaign? Pick up the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Still, Basic D&D is the true heart of the game and could easily provide a lifetime of gaming.

At the launch of the D&D Starter Set, Basic D&D will include the material needed to create characters and advance to 20th level. In August, with the release of the Player’s Handbook, Basic D&D will expand to include the essential monsters, magic items, and DM rules needed to run the game, along with the rules for wilderness, dungeon, and urban adventuring. (The Starter Set already covers the aspects of these rules that you need to run the included campaign.)

As we introduce new storylines like Tyranny of Dragons, we’ll also make available free PDFs that provide all the rules and stats missing from Basic D&D needed to run the adventures tied into the story. The adventures released as part of Tyranny of Dragons are playable without requiring any of the core rulebooks or the Starter Set. With just the Basic Dungeons & Dragons rules, you can play D&D for years.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

finarvyn wrote:
Arduin wrote:
BLOOD AXE wrote:When is this due to be released?
Release Date: August 19th (limited release available at Gencon 14′
A friend of mine, who is usually "in the know" on this stuff, told me that "WotC Approved" stores (those who run D&D Encounters, etc) will be getting D&D product two weeks before Amazon and other stores. I need to confirm this with my local shop owner, but if true that's an interesting perk to buying local instead of online.
My "LGS" is about an hour away, so I'll still be waiting and buying this via Amazon. Its not like I need to have and run this game RIGHT NOW!! I can wait. Still, your right, its a good idea to help support brick and mortar stores, for those who still have them close enough to mean anything to them.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I think I read (on this very forum) that D&D Next will supposedly be more like 2nd edition? If so, that's good for C&C players and some other old school grognards, but not when it comes to competing against Pathfinder. We'll see.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

tylermo wrote:I think I read (on this very forum) that D&D Next will supposedly be more like 2nd edition?
No one on this forum has seen the final form of the game.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:
tylermo wrote:I think I read (on this very forum) that D&D Next will supposedly be more like 2nd edition?
Yep. We don't get to start seeing that until July. The DMG doesn't even come out until, what? November, I think it said? Anyways, it will take several months to even get all the core books. Still, that free PDF should show me everything I really want to know. In a fit of optimism I have pre ordered everything from the Starter set to the DMG to the first adventure installment. Plus if I don't like what I see in July, I can always cancel those pre orders and get a refund.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:
Yep. We don't get to start seeing that until July. The DMG doesn't even come out until, what? November, I think it said? Anyways, it will take several months to even get all the core books. Still, that free PDF should show me everything I really want to know. In a fit of optimism I have pre ordered everything from the Starter set to the DMG to the first adventure installment. Plus if I don't like what I see in July, I can always cancel those pre orders and get a refund.
The pdf will show partially what it is. The DMG will be the definitive data. I gave pre-ordering anything from WotC after getting sucker punched on 4.x

So, I'll get the free pdf and then wait until I can read the DMG before making purchase decision.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:
The pdf will show partially what it is. The DMG will be the definitive data. I gave pre-ordering anything from WotC after getting sucker punched on 4.x

So, I'll get the free pdf and then wait until I can read the DMG before making purchase decision.
From what I have read the PDF will support play of 4 classes and 4 races up to a pretty decent level. So it will show me enough of what I want to know, especially when I look at the Starter set and PH too. If I like what I see, I keep my other pre orders. If I don't, cancel. Simple as that. No need to wait for the DMG, when all the mechanics I will care about will be out well before then.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Tree, I seem to remember you saying something about Advantages/Disadvantages (in D&D Next). Was that somethint involving rolling two D20's? I think we used that mechanic in a playtest last September. I'm glad there will be a free basic pdf. If there's anything I might consider adding to C&C, it can probably be found there.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

tylermo wrote:Tree, I seem to remember you saying something about Advantages/Disadvantages (in D&D Next). Was that somethint involving rolling two D20's? I think we used that mechanic in a playtest last September. I'm glad there will be a free basic pdf. If there's anything I might consider adding to C&C, it can probably be found there.
Yep, that involves rolling 2D20, when you are determined to have an "Advantage". Its been so many months since I last read the PDF's, I don't recall the other options, let alone the conditions for obtaining an "Advantage".

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Treebore wrote:
tylermo wrote:Tree, I seem to remember you saying something about Advantages/Disadvantages (in D&D Next). Was that somethint involving rolling two D20's? I think we used that mechanic in a playtest last September. I'm glad there will be a free basic pdf. If there's anything I might consider adding to C&C, it can probably be found there.
Yep, that involves rolling 2D20, when you are determined to have an "Advantage". Its been so many months since I last read the PDF's, I don't recall the other options, let alone the conditions for obtaining an "Advantage".
You've essentially nailed it. While there are certain places where advantage is specifically called for, I use it whenever one side has surprise or other cases like that.

And "Disadvantage" is the opposite, where you roll 2d20 and keep the worst of the two.

One way I use this is in using skills without actually using skills. When I do stat checks for a aksill, if a player does something that seem logical fir his class I can just declare "advantage."

Another thing I tried once was in the case of a wizard character who wanted to wear armor and I said he could but every combat action was at disadvantage for him. It lets you say "yes" to players more often, yet they don't want to do what you've allowed them to do as much. :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

According to Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, one of the newest publicly available forms of DnD Next (http://www.dndclassics.com/product/1232 ... =0_0_45190):

-----------------------
When the rules say you have advantage or disadvantage on an ability check,an attack roll,or a saving
throw, you roll a second d20 when making that roll. You use the higher of the two rolls to determine your
result if you have advantage and the lower roll if you have disadvantage.
No matter how many times you gain advantage or disadvantage on the same roll,you roll only one additional d20. If you have advantage and disadvantage on the same roll,the advantage and the disadvantage cancel each other out. This rule applies even when you have advantage or disadvantage from multiple sources.For example,if two effects give you advantage on a roll and one effect gives you disadvantage, you have neither of them for that roll.

-----------------------

While GoDC is by no means representative of the 'final' version of the ruleset, Im guessing that this particular rule is pretty well set at this point.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan