After Winter Dark Poll

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

After Winter Dark Poll

Post by Troll Lord »

I'm laying out the AWD book....the text files, to turn over to Peter on Thursday...and I'm in the deity section. I've added a list, for each deity, of their stats such as preferred weapon, holy day, color and so forth. How would you all like this presented, in a stat block at the top of each listing or in one large chart.

So I'm offering up this poll to make up the Troll's mind.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I said chart simply because I think/assume it would make the relevant info easy to find and use in comparison to standard stat block presentation.

Besides, that leaves you guys open to do a "Faiths and Pantheons" (Am I remembering that 2E title correctly?) treatment to your Erde pantheon.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Chart me.

...........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Oooooh...a vote for the block!

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

The Stat block would something like this:

Thorax: (THR-aks): The Red Duke, Lord of Chaos, The Bull, Rot of the Dwarves

Order: Val-Eahrakun

Province: Chaos, Command, Death, Destruction, Evil, Magic, Trickery

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Holy Days: 3rd day of every 3rd month

Superstitions: Trees

Preferred Weapons: Two-handed sword, hammer

Colors: Red

Missionary: The Duke has come.

This will be tweaked a little bit.

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

Can't have both?

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Dristram wrote:
Can't have both?

Maybe the chart can be on the After Winter's Dark-specific, deluxe CK's screen.
/sarcasm

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I was going to vote for a chart, but I like the looks of that stat block (very similar to how I do my deity write ups for my homebrews).

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I have a slight preference for a chart! 8)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Close call, but I like the look of the stat blocks.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I see the advantage of both but seeing that this is an overview of the campaign world (a primer), I think a chart would be more practical and possibly even save some space for other goodies!

Moriarty the Red

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I like my format.
Anyway, the stat... makes it easier to read, and makes it akin to what I had envisioned for G&D.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Well what the hell does the "CHART" look like then? I guess I am confused. MY idea of "chart" was what Steve posted as "stat block." Damn, man.

..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Omote wrote:
Well what the hell does the "CHART" look like then? I guess I am confused. MY idea of "chart" was what Steve posted as "stat block." Damn, man.

..............................................Omote

FPQ
A chart would be like the chart in the original 1e Deities and demigods book.

Steve

[email protected]

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

OIC now. Thanks for the clarification. I want STAT BLOCK! *officially changes answer*

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Combat_Kyle
Ulthal

Post by Combat_Kyle »

Both would be best, but being forced to choose - chart please.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Mac Golden
Hlobane Orc

deity specifics

Post by Mac Golden »

I have to suggest what will probably be an unpopular suggestion, but one that needs to be voiced nonetheless.

Given C&C's emphasis on storytelling, I would suggest avoiding any reduction of deity specifics to a stat block format. Such reduction likens deities to monsters and thereby creates the impression that deities are forces which high level characters could challenge and "defeat". In the realm of the fantastic, the existence of deities is unquestionable and the world is their stage.

In order to help foster the unknown of the gods, and to make permanent that separation between character and deity, there needs to remain some mystery about them. Reduction of the deities to what amounts to code certainly combats storytelling.

As a quick reference, however, a chart of preferred weapon, holy days, colors, etc... that is put in an appendix away from the deity descriptions thus best meets storytelling goals while at the same time providing rules functionality.

IMO

- Mac Golden

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

I would prefer the stat blocks since, if I introduce a deity during a gaming session, I would like some fleshed out information to go along with it outside of what would fit in a concise chart. Also, unless I'm having a "deity round table" a la Clash of the Titans, I don't really have a use for very quick access to ALL of the gods' stats at once. Besides, I'm sure Traveller will make a chart at some point any way.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Though I know where Mac is going with his comment, keep in mind that the After Winter Dark book is not a full treatment of the World of Aihrde, its designed to be something of an annotated bibliography (for want of a better term) wherein the information is abbreviated and compiled in a quick reference format. So no appendix will be placed in the book, the deity information will be with each deity so that when you want to know what you god's holy days, holy symbol, order, etc etc is you can reference it quicklky.

This is the hardest part of the book as it is difficult to separate description from mythology.

All of this material will, of course, be brought to the fore in the little white book that will go in the Collector's edition Aihrde White Box set in a far more literay (typical Troll) format later this year. For the non-collectors that treatment will be re-iterated in the for general public release of the boxed set for Aihrde later this year, early 2008.

So why put the AWD book out at all? Though the AWD book may seem superfluous, its really not. It has two purposes. First as a bridging product from our d20 setting Erde to the C&C game. People who are buying them modules and downloading maps have no reference point but the d20 book which many are not inclined to buy...seeing as how they are playing C&C. Second: for those who have the Codex and even the first AWD book this AWD will hopefully serve as a 'super-index', collecting informatin that is a bit scattered in the Codex and fleshing out holes never explained.

Steve

[email protected]

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Troll Lord wrote:
All of this material will, of course, be brought to the fore in the little white book that will go in the Collector's edition Aihrde White Box set...

Steve, would you care to elaborate on this Collector's Box or the non-collector edtion? This item has been mentioned a few times now and I was just wondering if you were ready to spill the beans about what this product will look like.

Jus' wonderin'.

..........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Inkpot

Re: deity specifics

Post by Inkpot »

Mac Golden wrote:
I have to suggest what will probably be an unpopular suggestion, but one that needs to be voiced nonetheless.

Given C&C's emphasis on storytelling, I would suggest avoiding any reduction of deity specifics to a stat block format. Such reduction likens deities to monsters and thereby creates the impression that deities are forces which high level characters could challenge and "defeat". In the realm of the fantastic, the existence of deities is unquestionable and the world is their stage.

In order to help foster the unknown of the gods, and to make permanent that separation between character and deity, there needs to remain some mystery about them. Reduction of the deities to what amounts to code certainly combats storytelling.

As a quick reference, however, a chart of preferred weapon, holy days, colors, etc... that is put in an appendix away from the deity descriptions thus best meets storytelling goals while at the same time providing rules functionality.

IMO

- Mac Golden

I agree wholeheartedly with this man. Well said, sir!

Ink

C&C: Blissfully devoid of gestalt neko-hin rogue/fighter/mages!!

Mac Golden
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mac Golden »

I evidently misunderstood the format. It is my understanding that this first AWD book will be a compilation for quick reference.

My suggestion is more on target with the full treatment.