Atk vs ac

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
jdizzy001
Ulthal

Atk vs ac

Post by jdizzy001 »

I prefer low magic settings with few magic items/weapons. How would you recommend I offset the lower atk values with the high ac monsters? The setting is one where the pc's would be monster hunters who utilize silver weapons (as silver is the only material which can permanently hit ghosts, kill undead and lyconthropes).

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Atk vs ac

Post by Treebore »

What high AC monsters, aside from Dragons? Very few go above AC 24, most are below AC 20. So if you select appropriately, there really should be no problem.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

NJPDX
Hlobane Orc

Post by NJPDX »

If you're worried about the math then just subtract points of AC from the monsters or consider boosting the base attack numbers for your characters to simulate whatever benefit you would expect them to have if magic items were distributed as "normal" at a given level - say +1 at level 4 or 5, +2 at 9 or 10th, etc.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

That is what I thought. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any section in the rulebooks about playing low magic games.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

I have some mid-level characters going up against appropriate baddies right now, and they aren't having any trouble connecting, whether using magic weapons or not. I don't think you'll find it's much of an issue. The only exception might be creatures that actually require magic weapons to be hit. You'd definitely want to use them sparingly ...

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

In that case, the case of needing a magic weapon to hit, I allow silver weapons to fill in as a substitute.

commanderFuron
Ungern

Post by commanderFuron »

You could also use other special materials and superior craftsmanship to add some none magical bonuses

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. Both adimantine and mithral provide huge non magical bonuses. Despite that, I still like to hear the ideas of other ck's

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

If you want there is nothing keeping you from using Mithril and/or adamantium alloys to allow for lower bonus' to attack and/or damage. Various alloy percentages determining what bonus' they get.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

commanderFuron
Ungern

Post by commanderFuron »

I actually meant adding in some additional materials other than the exisiting ones. Omote has a pretty good selection of special materials in some of his AC&C stuff. I have also used extended craftsmanship bonuses.
For Example
Mass Produced -1(to hit or damage)
Expert Craft +1(to hit or damamge)
Greater Expert Craft +1 to hit AND damage
Relic +2 to hit, +1 to damage
Legendary +2 to hit AND damage (normally a named or unique weapon)
Abysal +1 to hit +3 to damage
Celestial +3 to hit +1 to damage
Celestail Legendary +3 to hit and damage
Legendary Abyssal +2 to hit +4 to damage

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Both are solid ideas and easily usable.