So I bought a Mac

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

So I bought a Mac

Post by Sir Ironside »

I love unexpected money! :D

Anyway, I needed an upgrade with a computer and after reading many articles about Windows 8 I decided I really didn't want to go down that route. So, I bought a Mac that I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

My question has to do with the internet browser. To put things into context I've tried pretty much every browser for PC's and have always gravitated back to Firefox.

So, my question is... seeing as how Safari is made for Mac is this the best option for Mac?
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Re: So I bought a Mac

Post by Lord Dynel »

Well, if you decided to go with the Mac, you may as well see how the Mac-equivalent programs work. :)

I don't know if it's the best option, but I've never had a problem with Safari. It seems to do the trick well.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

I use Safari exclusively on the Mac. Firefox is good, but Safari is integrated better - it's the best option IMO.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Lord Dynel wrote:Well, if you decided to go with the Mac, you may as well see how the Mac-equivalent programs work. :)
This is the thing. IE is built for Windows but isn't the best option for Windows. So, I was kind of going in with that mindset.

Watched a beginners tutorial about using the Mac OS and the guy briefly talked about browsers. He admitted that he has flipped flopped between Safari and Chrome but ended up using Chrome as it was a bit faster.

I guess I'll just fire-up Safari and see how much I like it and compare it to my experiences with Chrome for Windows.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:Well, if you decided to go with the Mac, you may as well see how the Mac-equivalent programs work. :)
This is the thing. IE is built for Windows but isn't the best option for Windows. So, I was kind of going in with that mindset.
I do know that about 6 months ago my SO got a job where they gave a MAC laptop to use for work. About a month later she almost tossed it out the window due to Safari issues. She switched to Chrome and it's fine now.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

I meander between Chrome and Safari. They're both pretty good. Firefox is pretty good on OS X too. There really isn't a hokey one in the lot.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Sir Ironside wrote: This is the thing. IE is built for Windows but isn't the best option for Windows. So, I was kind of going in with that mindset.
In the Mac world, "it just works", so you have to heal that mindset. It's going to be ok now. :lol:
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Relaxo wrote:
In the Mac world, "it just works", so you have to heal that mindset.
Don't we wish that were so. :shock:

House Rules

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

well, yeah, but it just works better. a little at least.
right?

I've had a mac so don't go by me.
Bill D.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Relaxo wrote:well, yeah, but it just works better. a little at least.
right?
I've had both. Sometimes Mac worked better. Other times worse. Especially when running non Apple produced s/w. When factoring in the higher price for less H/W, less available s/w; Mac's aren't really a good deal.

House Rules

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Arduin wrote:I've had both. Sometimes Mac worked better. Other times worse. Especially when running non Apple produced s/w. When factoring in the higher price for less H/W, less available s/w; Mac's aren't really a good deal.
I took this into account when I made this decision. To be honest if Windows 8 had more of a better vibe to it I probably would've just went with that. The price was moot because the two computers I was looking at were roughly the same price with roughly the same specs. Either way, Windows 8 or iOS X, I was looking at a learning curve so that part of the decision was a wash also. As far as software I am well aware of Mac not having as much choice as Windows, but really Mac covers all the important stuff as well as Windows so unless I needed some obscure software or a particular piece of software that didn't go the Mac way you really are not missing out on much. I know my software needs and again it was a wash between Mac and Windows.

So far I'm pretty happy with my decision. I know there is still a learning curve as I am only into day 2 of using Mac so any of the negatives, so far, I'm ignoring because they are based on things I'm not used to or things I don't know yet.

Things I've liked in using it for one day and from prior research before purchase.
  • Setting it up. One plug in. Turn it on. Ready to go.
  • The stability issue. This will be a longterm observation, but if what I've read/seen, I hope that it just isn't the "cult" of Mac over-stating the issue.
  • When I added both my printers all I needed to do was plug them into Mac. It automatically downloaded the drivers I needed. Even the printer I acquired almost 10 years ago. No need for CD's.
  • I didn't have to go and add a virus protection program. Any virus programs I've added on Windows always had some kind of issue, at sometime, with Windows. So, I won't be missing that.
  • This was almost a non-issue for me as the entire time that I've used Windows I have had only 2 times that I had to interact with customer service. Once it was Dell's problem and once it was a Windows problem. Both times the problem was solved quickly with no pain. That being said I know I was lucky both times as I've read and seen through friends/family Microsoft and 3rd party companies trying to pass the buck rather than truly help. This whole issue with Windows 8 it was hard to see a future were I wasn't going to have to resort to customer service. Apple customer service stops with Apple as they make the computer and the OS.
I guess my biggest concern is the fact that there is no CD/DVD/Bluray drive on the Apple. That was almost a issue until I thought back to my last couple of years using XP and how much I used the CD/DVD drives. I really used them for two things. Playing music or downloading drivers for new hardware. I was kind of amazed how little I used them without realizing it. Just assuming that it was an integral part of a computer.

My Mac did come with the "Magic Mouse". I'm glad it did as I have programmed it with a "right click" that helps when I use programs that have that in their programming and doesn't affect Mac's function in anyway. Though the mouse also has a learning curve as the whole surface is "touch" so you have to be careful how you use it. Like i said I've only been using it for a day and I'm not making as many "mistakes" and by saying mistakes just a small wrong "click" here and there that doesn't amount to much. I only really notice it when playing Minecraft or Godus. Though playing those games are like exercise for practising the Magic Mouse.

The Mac keyboard is something that takes some getting used to. But. again it'll just take some time.

All in all I think I've made the right choice.

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

Arduin wrote:
Relaxo wrote:well, yeah, but it just works better. a little at least.
right?
I've had both. Sometimes Mac worked better. Other times worse. Especially when running non Apple produced s/w. When factoring in the higher price for less H/W, less available s/w; Mac's aren't really a good deal.
It's not 1999 anymore. ;)

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Funny you say that: my running joke is that I'm computer savvy for 1997...
Bill D.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Mac so far. My dad switched to Mac a few years ago after a lifetime of Windows use and never looked back. His opinion now is that he can't imagine ever owning a Winows PC again. I have used Macs exclusively for my personal computer.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Eisenmann wrote: It's not 1999 anymore. ;)
Irrelevant post. I'm talking in the last 2 years.

House Rules

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Arduin wrote:
I have to say, I still run my 24-inch "Early 2008" iMac (5 years old now) and just upgraded to Mavericks yesterday. For 5 years this thing has been a workhorse: work and play, kids and school... You name it. Always dependable, never crashes. I've had the graphics card replaced about 1.5 years ago and that's it.

For most of my working history I've been supplied with Windows computers, and they *never* hold up like this iMac has. Invariably Windows gets fowled up and the machine has to be "re-imaged" - it's always just a matter of time. Apps are far less reliable - even Microsoft apps running on Microsoft Windows (such as Office), which I find particularly repugnant. Apple apps work elegantly and integrate flawlessly on the Mac - Microsoft just can't seem to get this right.

Like anyone else who has an opinion on this matter, I'm sure I'm under no small amount of bias. The truth is, however, I've been using one type of computer or another between work and home for the past 23+ years, and the Mac seems to consistently perform better and more reliably. Even during the "dark days" of Mac OS (OS 7 and 8), the Mac held up better than Windows 95 and, later, 98. Though I'll be the first to admit that Windows has come a long way since those days, well so has the Mac. OS X is, bar-none, more stable and secure than Windows could ever dream of being. This is as true today as it was 12 years ago. I know that there are anecdotes from both sides of the fence - stories of horror and greatness for both Macs and Windows PCs. I'm basing my opinion on over 2 decades of regular, daily, personal exposure to both platforms and, having judged the pros and cons of both platforms, find myself firmly in the Mac camp.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

And I've got Linux boxes that I built in 1994 that are still running.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

redwullf wrote:I have to say, I still run my 24-inch "Early 2008" iMac (5 years old now) and just upgraded to Mavericks yesterday..
When I first ran Mac it did have this big panel saying you could upgrade for free to Mavericks. I'm not real sure if I did so or not as everything was different from Windows and I went into a direction that I'm pretty sure I didn't get the upgrade. Not a big deal as I can just get it from the app store, so my real question is.

Should I upgrade to Mavericks?

And a request for this thread. I'd appreciate it if this didn't devolve into a PC vs. Mac discussion. I've bought a Mac. That is a done deal. I'm not going to go buy a PC. So, I'd just appreciate advice about things I may not know that Apple may assume you should know.

Thanks.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

redwullf wrote:I have to say, I still run my 24-inch "Early 2008" iMac (5 years old now) and just upgraded to Mavericks yesterday. For 5 years this thing has been a workhorse: work and play, kids and school... You name it. Always dependable, never crashes. I've had the graphics card replaced about 1.5 years ago and that's it.

For most of my working history I've been supplied with Windows computers, and they *never* hold up like this iMac has. Invariably Windows gets fowled up and the machine has to be "re-imaged" - it's always just a matter of time. Apps are far less reliable - even Microsoft apps running on Microsoft Windows (such as Office), which I find particularly repugnant. Apple apps work elegantly and integrate flawlessly on the Mac - Microsoft just can't seem to get this right.

Like anyone else who has an opinion on this matter, I'm sure I'm under no small amount of bias. The truth is, however, I've been using one type of computer or another between work and home for the past 23+ years, and the Mac seems to consistently perform better and more reliably. Even during the "dark days" of Mac OS (OS 7 and 8), the Mac held up better than Windows 95 and, later, 98. Though I'll be the first to admit that Windows has come a long way since those days, well so has the Mac. OS X is, bar-none, more stable and secure than Windows could ever dream of being. This is as true today as it was 12 years ago. I know that there are anecdotes from both sides of the fence - stories of horror and greatness for both Macs and Windows PCs. I'm basing my opinion on over 2 decades of regular, daily, personal exposure to both platforms and, having judged the pros and cons of both platforms, find myself firmly in the Mac camp.
How often have you upgraded the OS on the Mac Doing this you are getting almost the same effect as re-imaging a Windows box. Though it is also all about how you manage the box, on the Mac you are much more restricted on what you can do than with Windows, be it for good or ill... The laptop I am working on right now is almost 6 years old, and it is trucking along just fine. Bought it with Vista (which was pretty good after SP1 but the damage was already done) and have upgraded it to Windows 7 (which should have been Vista R2 but with the issues with that name...) when it came out in '09, haven't re-imaged since. Granted I have a different computer for all of the heavy lifting, such as video trans-coding, application development (albiet limited), and gaming. But this little Acer is doing just fine, running quickly, handles all the apps I throw at it, one of the heaviest use is Office, Excel and Access quite a bit. I don't use IE usually, and use FireFox, but IE is much better in the newer versions.

Windows 8 is a bad interface, but Classic Shell and the SevenVG skin solves that problem for you, and Win8 is the best version of Windows produced to date. It is what is under the covers that differentiates it in a good way from all previous versions.

Having worked with both Mac and Windows I will say each has their strengths, and those that use one over the other over long periods of time will be in their respective camp. I can say from a business perspective Windows is still king. Since the Mac went Intel, the hardware is the same, the difference is that you can open a PC and find a wide variety of hardware, while with the Mac from the beginning to the end of the line the hardware is fairly consistent. You can build a computer with all the same hardware, and it will cost 60% of buying a Mac, and you cannot run the OS on that computer you built, well not legally anyhow. Graphical folks dont want to switch because they are comfortable with the Mac, and that is fine. Though one department we did get to switch loved their Windows machines, and tried to convince their cohorts to switch. They had much more powerful equipment, and more bells and whistles because of the cost differential. And the applications (the Adobe Suite) they used for their design work was the same. But their favorite thing was that they could easily work from the server rather than copying files locally and working on them, then copy back to the server when done. Mac's still have issues with CIFS (SMB, Samba, whatever you want to call it), and pair Adobe (which I think only believes networks are for the internet) apps with them and you can have many headaches. Take those issues away and Mac OSX is great.

My point is each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses, and one should use what one prefers.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Sir Ironside wrote:
redwullf wrote:I have to say, I still run my 24-inch "Early 2008" iMac (5 years old now) and just upgraded to Mavericks yesterday..
When I first ran Mac it did have this big panel saying you could upgrade for free to Mavericks. I'm not real sure if I did so or not as everything was different from Windows and I went into a direction that I'm pretty sure I didn't get the upgrade. Not a big deal as I can just get it from the app store, so my real question is.

Should I upgrade to Mavericks?
Yes! It's a relatively unobtrusive upgrade with some nice new enhancements.
Sir Ironside wrote:And a request for this thread. I'd appreciate it if this didn't devolve into a PC vs. Mac discussion. I've bought a Mac. That is a done deal. I'm not going to go buy a PC. So, I'd just appreciate advice about things I may not know that Apple may assume you should know.
Definitely agree. Mac vs. Windows arguments are so 1995 anyway.

Even though Macs are better. :twisted:

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

I use macs, pcs and linux machines and they all have good and bad qualities. I find that for artistic/creative endeavors the mac is usually a really good choice. For gaming windows is still king outside of the console world. For enterprise business windows and linux are both superior in many ways but macs have a nice niche within the scientific and software development community. I think youll enjoy your mac. I wouldnt personally approach it with the "it just works" mentality as that is not always the case but it has many great qualities and is a solid OS based on a 'nix kernel.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

Mavericks is definitely worth upgrading to. It's got some really significant changes under the hood that improve user experience. Also, Safari on Mavericks is very, very good.
Arduin wrote:
No, it's not an irrelevant post thought was a bit tongue in cheek. The days of people trying to port Software Package X to Carbon is over. The Mac software ecosystem is huge these days with some real gems that can't be found anywhere else. Heck, I'd love to have Circus Ponies Notebook on Linux or even Windows.

Sir Ironside, keep an eye on app bundle sales. That's a really great way discover and purchase some great apps at excellent prices. That's how I discovered applications like Notebook, VoodooPad, and Scrivener. All three of which I've used for game prep and research.

http://allmacbundles.com/mac-bundle-watcher/

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Eisenmann wrote:Mavericks is definitely worth upgrading to. It's got some really significant changes under the hood that improve user experience. Also, Safari on Mavericks is very, very good.
Arduin wrote:
No, it's not an irrelevant post .
Yes, it is. The incorrect dates make that de facto.

House Rules

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

Arduin wrote:
Yes, it is. The incorrect dates make that de facto.
Nu uh. ;)

It sounds much like what I would have said and heard in '99, so there's my bias. The story changed a lot (and continues to) with the development of OS X.

I edited/updated that response upstream.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Well so far so good.

It is still kind of setting in, the differences between Windows and Mac. Oddly I'm having problems with the way Mac downloads programs or uninstalls them. It isn't a problem with the function, it is the feeling one gets. I'm used to Windows where it is showing you the process, where as Mac just does it. I don't know if I explained that right. It is almost unsettling, like I'm not sure if the program is really there because it was so fast and really just dragging and dropping.

I'll be honest that when I was told that Mac, at first, will seem different... it'll become intuitive... and to my surprise I find myself doing things without looking it up, so yeah I get it now.

I'll say I really hate the white keyboard. I mean really hate it. Getting used to typing on it hasn't been easy and the learning curve is longer. Which sucks, as I cannot type as fast or accurately.

As far as the web browser goes, the new Mavericks Safari is doing laps around both Chrome and Firefox. It is noticeably faster.

Anyway, no regrets thus far. Most of my problems will smooth over in time.

My cat is still attracted to the Mac so he is still annoying when I'm on it.

Wish Mac had an app for that.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

If by "app" you mean "spray bottle" you can grab one at the dollar store for about a buck.
:D
Bill D.

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

The Productive Macs bundle went live with Notebook included, along with a few other nifty apps.

http://www.productivemacs.com/notebook