Another effect C&C is having on my gaming attitude

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Another effect C&C is having on my gaming attitude

Post by Treebore »

I'm have become much more open to exploring and trying out other game systems again. Just like I used to before 3E shackled me down.

I've picked up HARP, Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, EPIC rpg, and I am eyeing several others.

I've been looking over my old Chivalry and Sorcery, Pendragon, etc...

Yeah, C&C has been much better for my RPG mental health.

In the 5 years I did 3E the only new game I tried out, and really like BTW, is L5R 2E. Plus I was relatively strong armed into trying it out. Mutants and Masterminds, though good, is still a 3E variant in my mind. So even though I playtested the 2E version ( I am the Robert Miller in the playtest credits), I still look at it as D&D gone to super mages and uber fighters.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Dristram
Ulthal

Post by Dristram »

I've started using my old 1e products again to be used in my C&C games. It's nice to look at all those books and see them used again.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

The two other systems that have caught my eye is High Medieval and the old MERP system.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have to admit its been feeling good reading through all my old D&D books as well. Not only for nostalgia, but finding out these games are still "good". There have been definite improvements through the editions, but going back to these older versions, especially with C&C as a "fix", really makes all the material "cool" again.

I dont remember hearing of "High Medievel", whats that?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

It's an OMNI system game that supposedly uses only a single d20 to play. I flipped through the core book and it looked cool and may have some magic stuff to integrate into my C&C game (Still don't like the vancian system).

And yes the original AD&D and D&D books are still good. However I see C&C as the true sucessor to them over 2eAD&D and 3e since C&C goes back to the core ideas of the original works makes some changes and freshens the material while remaining true to the original ideals. In alot of respects C&C can be seen as the true Sucessor to Gygax's original game.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sounds cool.

Yeah, I see it that way to. I would add that is further proven by the fact you can use the core of C&C to go back and play the older versions, as well as mix and match them as much as you want.

So I agree it is the "true" successor to D&D on many levels.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It's scary how 3E tied so many people down to one format. I admit too that I'm still a bit tied down too and I hate myself for it... at times.

When gaming becomes a chore, you know it time to move on. Unfortunatly not everybody I game with sees that the v3.5 game is a chore... They choose to disbelieve even when they catch themselves bitching about it all the time.
I'm glad C&C has open the eyes of those who forgot about the good games that never really went away.

.................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

The only thing C&C has tied me too is a love for rules light games. This is not a bad thing at all especailly since we gamers can introduce complexity as needed.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:
It's scary how 3E tied so many people down to one format. I admit too that I'm still a bit tied down too and I hate myself for it... at times.

When gaming becomes a chore, you know it time to move on. Unfortunatly not everybody I game with sees that the v3.5 game is a chore... They choose to disbelieve even when they catch themselves bitching about it all the time.
I'm glad C&C has open the eyes of those who forgot about the good games that never really went away.

.................................................Omote

FPQ

Yeah, go to ENWorlds rules section, ot WOTC, and just read how they obsess about every nuance of every friggin rule.

I know most (I hope) aren't like that, but it does remind me of how I got too close to being like that.

How can you have fun being caught up in such minor minutiae like that?

angelius
Lore Drake

Post by angelius »

i picked up the red,green and blue boxes recently.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've had those about as long as I have had my 1E books. Of course the boxes have gone the way of the trash pile, but I still have the books.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

My two Fantasy RPG games of choice (and its a dead even tie between them) are C&C and WFRP 2. C&C has seen more game time at my table lately, and I've no reason to complain. I do hope to get a little WFRP time in soon, if only because the setting is so damned cool. I have two copies of the rules cyclopedia, but have no idea where or when I got the 2nd one, it just kind of appeared in my collection, and nobody else claimed it. I use quite a bit of stuff out of that book along with my old 1e stuff.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

C&C never made me want to go try out other systems, I can barely keep up with picking everything up for C&C, but like many others my 1E, 2E and basic books have found new life.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Breakdaddy wrote:
My two Fantasy RPG games of choice (and its a dead even tie between them) are C&C and WFRP 2.

Two fantastically, awesome games in their own right.

.........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Amen!

I agree, since starting to play C&C, I've become much more open to other, non-d20 systems.

Of course, these days I'm also trying to have it work the opposite way, so that I'm not coming down on d20 just for being d20.

I've also become much less afraid of breaking or tweaking the rules as written. If I want to stat up a whole new beastie magic item, effect, or spell for C&C, I'm in no ways put off if I have to build it from scratch. If I'm running a D&D game, you can bet attacks of opportunity are going out the window.
Omote wrote:
Two fantastically, awesome games in their own right.

.........................................Omote

FPQ

ShawnG
Ungern

Post by ShawnG »

Quote:
My two Fantasy RPG games of choice (and its a dead even tie between them) are C&C and WFRP 2

Echo that, my two faves at the moment, followed closely by Ars Magica and Runequest (Glorantha is too cool to be ignored)

I also like what I've seen of the Omni System, I bought the pdf of Atlantis, which is the old Bard Games trilogy done with the omni system, and it looks pretty good.